Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
mapleman3

Just installed tv

So we put a tv in tonight along with a small dvd. I originaly was going to get a 12v one but went with the 120v. Guess since the led tvs use so much less watts I can use an inverter plugged into the 12v outlet near the tv ehen not on shore power....is that what everyone does?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
jsmith948

TV/Inverter

We found that the wiring on the 12V receptacle was not large enough to allow the inverter to power the TV
A senior member, JohnnyFry, had numerous posts regarding this
If you do a forum search, you should be able to find them
His idea about wiring a DPDT coil operated switch in the AC circuit for the TV worked for us at a cost of about $40.00 for all the materials

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
campingcpl

I installed a 400 watt inverter in the cargo area and hard wired it to the battery with a continues duty relay and then ran a power wire from the inverter to an outlet near the TV. I then put in a lighted toggle switch near the outlet to turn the relay on and off. With using the relay and the toggle switch I don't have to get into the cargo area to turn the inverter on and off. And since I used the relay there isn't any power draw when we are not using the inverter. And since the toggle switch pulls power from a 12v source inside the trailer when I turn my battery disconnect to the off possition there is no chance of the inverter being left on and running down the battery. The only down fall from this is we have to unplug the TV from one outlet and plug it into the other but it's not that big of deal. I will probably eventually upgrade to a 2500 watt inverter and wire it directly into the power center with a transfer switch but for the time being this works for us.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote