Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Halibutman214

Caulking around tub

The one thing on my Passport that just didn't look right to me from the first time I looked at them was the area where the top portion of the tub meets the wall. There's a gap that makes it look unfinished and I'm thinking very seriously about caulking it before I ever use it. I think it would not only make it look much nicer but prevent any mold from growing in the gap. Just wondering if any of you have done this and had any issues as a result?
thanks
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibutman214 View Post
The one thing on my Passport that just didn't look right to me from the first time I looked at them was the area where the top portion of the tub meets the wall. There's a gap that makes it look unfinished and I'm thinking very seriously about caulking it before I ever use it. I think it would not only make it look much nicer but prevent any mold from growing in the gap. Just wondering if any of you have done this and had any issues as a result?
thanks
I think you should treat that the same as a residential tub or shower installation. If you want it caulked, caulk it. I'd suggest any good grade of a brand name tub and shower caulk will work just fine. It's available now in small squeeze tubes so you don't need a caulking gun. Just let it cure really well before using it.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
chuck&gail

Caulked that in ours before first trip. Looks good still, but only about 9000 miles so far. Ask me in another 5 years or so.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
Caulked that in ours before first trip. Looks good still, but only about 9000 miles so far. Ask me in another 5 years or so.
This is what I needed and glad to see I wasn't the only one that noticed this. I guess this comes from my building genes. Caulking it before water ever hits it will hopefully ensure success. Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
muddynoll

Used some tan caulk before our first trip.Matched perfectly and looks great after the first year.
2004 F350,CCLB SRW 6.0Powerstroke, 4.30 Gears, Curt 1,500 Lb. Hitch with sway control *2017 Fuzion Impact 312, Sailun S637 Tires 2011 Passport 2910 BH, 2006 Jayco 232, 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L, ReeseDualCam, Prodigy P3
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
CampDestinations.com

My Passport is the same way.

Why would they NOT caulk that?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Retired_Jim

I purchased my new Springdale in 2010. I too questioned why no caulking. Dealer salesperson, dealer maintence shop person, and manager, all said no caulk was needed as bottom tub lip extended upward into wall and no water would penetrate. As you can see I did not trust the answers but after asking again at my other RV supplier sources I keep getting the same no caulk needed. Ok, after 2 years no signs of any water damage that I can find. My space between the tub and wall is quite wide and I do not think caulk would actually work well even if it was needed. I will watch this thread for further responses.

2006 GMC Yukon XL
2010 Keystone Springdale 266RLSSR
Retired_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
Halibutman214

It's not really a question of need for me as I do think it probably overlaps enough not to get water behind it. It just sort of looks unfinished on an otherwise nice looking bathroom.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
CincyGus

I asked the same thing during my walk through and the very experienced maintanence tech (who seemed very honest and open about the things I asked him) said I could caulk it with a good silicone but that I would likely see it not work well over the long haul because of the flexing of the surround being mounted to the walls. Said it wouldn't hurt, only that it would likely need redone ocassionally. Also mentioned that it was unneccessary with the tub flange sitting well up behind the surround and that water would not splash up underneath there. He had never seen water damage in that area without either the surround of tub cracked.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote