Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
krazycouponchic

Question Can'tg Get HWH to Work!

Does anybody have a trailer like mine that knows what I am doing wrong? I have a 2010 keystone laredo 293 travel trailer with rear kitchen. Camping this weekend and really want the important bugs worked out. Working on water heater now.
krazycouponchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
krazycouponchic

No I never turned it on until I verified the bypass valve was open and water was actually in the hwh.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
krazycouponchic

Thanks hank. Ill try the circuit breaker
Old 08-30-2011, 03:58 AM   #4
scfire

Can you hear the gas burner fire when you turn the switch on? If not you may have air still trapped in the line. If thats the case you can light your stove element and let it run for a few minutes, as this will expell any air.

If you arew trying to heat the tank with the electric element, this will take awhile. On our Laredo 303tg I usually first heat the tank with gas as it is quite a bit quicker, then I will switch to electric.

Wish you luck
2011 F250 6.2L
Reese WD Hitch
scfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
krazycouponchic

Cool

Ok. I was able to heat the water in HWH with the gas switch. I still cant get the water to heat with the electric switch. Whats wrong?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Houndie Dog

I don't know about your trailer but on my Montana I have a switch on the inside of the trailer to select "electric" for the water heater, but there is also a switch located outside in the water heater access panel that also has to be on for the heater to work. I think this is some kind of failsafe set up where both switches have to be in the on position for the water heater to work.
Hensly TS3 trailer-saver hitch
KVH TracVision R4SL
3 Basset Hounds "Lucy, Ethel, & Fred"
https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...vado/coach.jpg
Houndie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
krazycouponchic

Yes and I had both swirches to "on". Does the gas side utilize the heating element? Maybe the element is bad which is why the electric wont heat the hwh?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
krazycouponchic

Scfire,
I got it to hear by using gas. Does gas require the element? If the element is bad the electric wont work to heat hwh but gas will. Is that correct?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
scfire

You are correct. The gas is a burner system, and the electric uses the element(which you already are aware of). How long are you waiting for the elment to heat the water? I know mine takes anywhere from 45min to close to an hour before the water is hot.
You may also want to make sure the electrical connections in your outside panel are all tight, as maybe one of the connectors may be loose.

Hope all works out for you. If no luck you may need a service call at your dealer.
2011 F250 6.2L
Reese WD Hitch
scfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
dspriggs

As a buyer of two new Keystone trailers over the past two years (2010 Bullet and 2010 Cougar) I can tell you my experience and it may help. On the Bullet I had the same symptoms as you. I discovered that the electric connection to the water heater element had never been hooked up at the factory. I took the interior panel off that grants access to the bypass valve and the male and female ends were laying in the floor about four inches apart. It was a 30 second fix when I finally discovered it.

On the Cougar I bought a 2010 that was still on the lot about 3 months ago. Again the same symptoms. This time however it turned out to be a defective heating element. I had the element replaced by the dealer and now all is good.

You can probably check the first item yourself, but may need a service center to check the second one.
dspriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
krazycouponchic

Thank you so much. I actually just contacted an RV repair and was told the same thing about checking to be sure the electrical parts are connected. I really hope that works.