Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
kschrome

Problems with A/C Breaker

We bought our Laredo 303tg in March 2011 have used it about 5 times now.

Last weekend was really the first time we used our AC constant,

The ac breaker/main kept tripping and having to reset it. the ony thing on was ac, electric water heater, and the outside fridge. now turning the water heater off, it did stay on longer, but I find it unlikley a freakn brand new camper can't handle a water heater being on and tripping out the breaker?

In 3 days in probably tripped out 15-18 times. so very frustraded and do not know where to turn to.

any ideas or help would be appriciated.

Other than this,,, the unit has been good.
kschrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
DTJ9610

We had our AC on a few time our last outing with no issues. Had the water heater and outside fridge. Do you have a volt meter plugged in to help you monitor?

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
Johnnyfry

Tripping breaker

There is a Keystone recall directive on this. Head for your dealer, it can cause a fire.

As I understand it there was a bad batch of breakers with weak spring clips to the buss. This caused overheating, and trip out, due to the increased resistance of the poor connection.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
kschrome

wow ok thanks!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
kschrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJ9610 View Post
We had our AC on a few time our last outing with no issues. Had the water heater and outside fridge. Do you have a volt meter plugged in to help you monitor?
I do not check it,

just assumed it was the camper problem since the power was not tripping at the pole.

I will check though for sure!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Sig 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
There is a Keystone recall directive on this. Head for your dealer, it can cause a fire.

As I understand it there was a bad batch of breakers with weak spring clips to the buss. This caused overheating, and trip out, due to the increased resistance of the poor connection.

John

Where can i find information on this, its not part of the recalls listed on Keystones web site?

Sig
Sig 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Bob Landry

There's too much stuff turned on. You only have 30A available. Look in your equipment manuals and see what each draws. You are going to have to learn "energy management"
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
Johnnyfry

Breaker

Bob, I do not agree here. There ia a recall on this issue and I was notified by my dealer . Were it an issue with overloading a 30 ampere pole connection the breaker at the pole would trip and this is very clearly not the case. This is definitely a fault in the internal panel and blowing it off as overloading a 30 ampere service is whistling in the wind.

John
Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
kschrome

The breaker was tripping with no lights on etc

only thing on is

Ac
outsied/inside fridge and electric water heater on.

surely KEYSTONE has a better built breakers than that??

FYI,

My dealer knows nothing about a recall, however I'm going camping this weekend and will see if the probablem persists and willl be taking a volt meter to make sure power is cl
Old 06-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #10
Johnnyfry

Breaker issue

If it trips check to see if the breaker is hot.

John
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Circuit breakers are only about $5 to $10 each. If the dealer won't replace them and they are getting hot, stop by HD or Lowe's and do it yourself. The last thing you need to be fighting is a fire in a campground !!!!! In fact, even if the CB isn't getting hot and it keeps tripping, after checking voltage, I'd replace the breaker on the AC circuit. If that doesn't resolve the issue, there is an easy start capacitor kit for the AC that will reduce the startup load and should make it run without tripping the breaker.

If none of that resolves the issue, you've got something wrong that needs to be resolved. If it's still under warranty, I'd let the dealer fix it rather than fight it yourself.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #12
Johnnyfry

jRTJH is correct, breakers are too inexpensive to quibble about. The issue in the recall case is the clip contacting the incoming buss was not strong enough to insure a tight,low resistance connection.

The buss bar may be corroded from overheating, so when replacing the breaker, take care to clean the buss Bars with emery cloth so that they are shiney. Be sure that the trailer is unplugged before taking the cover off the box.

John
Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
Ron

recalls

To find out about your Keystone recalls, i use a site called (keystone recall automd) type in the year and model and it will bring up all listed recalls, don't have to wait for Keystone to send out info to you. Yes there is a breaker issue posted back in December 2010. Happy Campin.............Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
scottm1

You usually cannot operate the a/c and the electric water heater at the same time, especially turning them both on at the same time when you first arrive and set up at your campsite. First, the interior of the rv is incredibly hot, and that a/c will initially pull 18 plus amps trying to cool that hot interior down, then simultaniously you turn on your electric water and it will draw 12 amps trying to heat the cold water in the tank. Right there has exceeded 30 amps in an extreme situation. While I agree I would make sure that you don't have an issue with your breakers, even a properly working breaker will trip under those circumstances usually. I simply use my water heater on LP in that situation
scottm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
Rock7

Had similar problem in TX last year .New Mex, it got worse. 108 in Carlsbad,and a/c kept poppin main breaker. 30 brkr was problem. Frige on gas. water heater on gas. microwave brkr off. TV off. Still wouldn't carry a/c. Wife and I stayed in Brothers Laredo quite a bit, He had no prob's, We were traveling together.
Had 2 Dealers chk and replace 30/20 brkrs. Replaced 30/20 brker in Dallas,and Carlsbad. Only way to make it work
Take a/c off 30/20 breaker Move it down to microwave brkr. Move microwave to Water heater brkr. Leave water heater unhooked,wire nutted and taped. No more issues with brkrs.
Son in law had same issues w/Outback.

Water heater wire is too short to hook at 30/20
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote