Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
Bankerbob

Smile New 10th anniversary edition Outback 277rls

Well, we have been in our new trailer now for just over a month and haven't had any real concerns. So far it has been through severe rainstorms & extreme heat. Maybe me but I felt the a/c had trouble keeping the trailer cool when the weather got to 110. With fulltiming it for the next year will keep you all aprised of it's durability.
Bankerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
Bob Landry

I have had the same trailer for about 5 months. I don't mean to pee on ypur parade, but here are some things you may need to address while they are just ussies and not problems.

First, grab your ladder and check the rear caps on the rear roof. These are shown in the photos below. Myself and one other owner I know if have had the same issue so it's worth checking. The caps were installed incorrectly and not sealed well at the factory. It's an easy fix and Keystone covered ours under warranty, but left unaddressed, opens an area for water intrusion. While you are on the ladder, go over the entire roof carefully and identify anything that looks like it wasn't sealed correctly, radio antenna, vents, etc.

Next, your A/C ducting is going to need some attention. Pull the grill cover off and make sure the cutouts going to the ductwork were cut to the correct size(large enough) and trim those cutouts if they need it. Check to see how it was taped and if it was sloppily done leaving gaps or with pieces of duct tape crumpled up and sticking up in the air path, take out the old tape and retape it so that everything is smooth. Anything at all that protrudes into the opening will degrade air flow and these units need all the help they can get. Next pull the ceiling registers and chek the taping at the registers and duct. Retape those if there are ANY gaps. If there are gaps between the registers and the duct cutouts, you are pumping cold air into the ceiling and it doesn't do you any good there. Check all four ceiling registers.
The duct work is set up so the they come off the A/C blower to a 90 degree bend on each side. The curb side feeds the two registers in the living room, the street side feeds the bathroom and the bedroom. The register in the bedroom and the one closest to the rear are the last ones in the string, but the duct extends further. Take some foam pipe insulation material(I used cardboard and foil tape) and close off the duct just past the registers so that when the air gets to the last register, it comes out the grill and does not depend on back pressure to try to force it out. I think I almost doubled the air flow from those registers by doing this. it sounds complicated but it's an easy fix and worthwhile.

The drawer glide supports(all of them) are poorly made and they will come loose. They are made using scrap pieces of 1/8" luan plywood stapled to the horizontal support. I cut pieces of good plywood and replaced the cheap stuff using screws to put eberythingback together. Also, Keystone only put one screw through the horizontal support into the cabinet back and that allows the whole assembly to twist. That's what causes the drawer glide support to come apart. When you reinstall the supports, add another screw through the horizintal support to stop it from twisting.

I've done several mods to the trailer, but these are items that really need to be addressed.

Extra - There is only one AC outlet in the kitchen and that is in the bottom of the cabinet. When you plug in your coffee pot, you have a power cord hanging down. To me that was sloppy so I added another outlet. You can tie into the wiring to the outdoor outlet bythe front door. It's alreadg GFCI protected and you want that for a kitchen outlet. It's easy to run the romex from there, down through the areas where the water heater and furnace are, under the sink area and mout the outlet on the end of the cabinet facing the rear door. Total time for that should be less than an hour.

I noticed you also started a thread about the receiver hitch, and I also have come comments with photos about that FWIW and I'll address that in the other thread. I know all of theis sounds like a lot, but it really isn't considering the time it takes to correct these things so you can spend your time camping and not fixing stuff.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote