Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Smitty

Hello from the U.P. of Michigan

Just signed up for my first post. Just purchased a 2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES and a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Crew Cab. Now I'm trying to get informed about a fifth wheel hitch. I have a 6'4" box and understand that I need a slide hitch. All new to me. Had a short bed 05 Ram before with a Cougar 245RKS and had a regular hitch and never had no problems, just had to be careful about tight turns. This new slider is a bit confusing. Do any of you have one. I'm looking at Pullrite Easyglide. Are they easy to line up? I understand there is something you install on the king pin. Well glad to be here and am glad to have another Cougar.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
Jim W

First welcome to the Forum.
Hope you enjoy your new 5er and 2500 CTD Dodge.
I do not know much about the Pullright Easyglide hitch although a lot of people use them.
I have a 15K Reese manual slider hitch in my 2500CTD Mega Cab Dodge with a short box.
As far as using the hitch I would think you will need to line the king pin up with the receiver on the hitch. I leave the jaws closed and unlock when I back-up the king ping opens the jaws and will close when hitched correctly. My DW stands to the side and ensures that the pin box is low enough for the pin box to ride up on the receiver and have the king pin engage the jaws on the hitch. I would think the Pullright would be the same.
Here is a site that might help you understand and provide information on the Cummins in your Dodge and the Dodge truck. It does cost to join but I believe it is will worth the $35 a year. I been a member for three years.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Flyguy

For info on the pullright hitch you might want to read this thread on this forum: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=518
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Smitty

Thanks for the info, lot of information especially the link. I think this is what I'm going to go with. Now, I wonder how the DW and I will get that beast out of the pickup bed when not in use. 300+ lbs, sounds like a dbl hernia. Any suggestions on that one. Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Flyguy

Well, you could always get one of those engine hoists on wheels, works for an engine so it should work for a hitch!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Smitty

I'll have to check that out. I know what your talking about. I've seen them in the Northern Tools & Machinery catalog I get in the mail.
When I get everything hooked together, I'll take a pic and try and figure out how to add it to my profile. Won't be until next week. I Was just reading our local paper and they posted an article that said most of the Federal & State Park campgrounds in our area have opened early due to our early spring weather. Although it has not been too warm, we are at least three weeks ahead of time for our area. Can't wait to get out there and try everything out. We had a 25 ft Cougar we traded in with one small slide and enjoyed it due to being so easy to maneuver. Hope we like the new one as well.