Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2024, 10:52 AM   #1
Wandering medic

Inverter question

Hello everyone, I've done some reading and I think I'm ready to purchase the inverter I just want to confirm I've got the basics down.

I have a 2022 hideout with factory installed solar panels and victron 100/50 charger.

My understanding is as long as my inverter has pass-through then the install is very straightforward, Hot Side of the Romex to the input, cold side of the Romex to the output (+appropriate size 12v wires). The pass-through auto switch will detect Shore power so I don't need the remote/monitor, but it doesn't hurt to have one.

Is there any inherent issue if I install an inverter/charger type unit instead? Will it conflict with the onboard charger or will the batteries simply have 2 charging sources as it would if my truck was connected?

Long term. I plan to install extra batteries on a set of slides in the pass-through, but for now I have the standard upgraded dual 6v 100ah
Wandering medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:20 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you install an inverter/charger you’ll have to disable the onboard converter. Other than that, your on track.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:26 PM   #3
Wandering medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you install an inverter/charger you’ll have to disable the onboard converter. Other than that, your on track.
Event hough the inverter will be hardwired directly to the battery not inline to solar charger?
Old 03-04-2024, 12:28 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If the inverter powers the citcuit for the converter, you’ll have to disable the converter. Inverter and solar are separate things.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:35 PM   #5
Wandering medic

Quote:
If the inverter powers the citcuit for the converter, you’ll have to disable the converter. Inverter and solar are separate things.
I'm fairly certain the solar charger is completely 12v based and isolated form the 120v system. The only commonality is they will both draw/push power from/to the batteries......?

That's why I assumed the inverter would be just an extra 12v accessory as far as the 12v system is concerned.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:29 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Solar goes through a controller and then to the batteries. It ONLY charges the batteries, it will not (should not) draw any voltage from the battery(s).

Old 03-05-2024, 04:38 AM   #7
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering medic View Post
....My understanding is as long as my inverter has pass-through then the install is very straightforward, Hot Side of the Romex to the input, cold side of the Romex to the output (+appropriate size 12v wires). The pass-through auto switch will detect Shore power so I don't need the remote/monitor, but it doesn't hurt to have one....

Trying to follow this and don't understand the bolded.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:01 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Quote:

This is interesting I would NOT recommend an inverter/charger as I have one and it basically complicated things for me...I had this discussion in this forum as well as with Xantrex.

The synopsis - I got a xantrex 2000W inverter/charger for whatever reason ($/naive/availability/combination). Once I installed it I realized that if AC powered it was charging my batteries, it heats up, the fans kick on, it is located exactly under where I sleep.

I did a lot of research and there is not way to "turn off the inverter charger". I've been told by xantrex it is impossible (there is not configuration settings to do that). In that research I was told many times that it is fine to have the solar/charger/converter all charging my batteries but I'll have to live with the fans. It will do no harm.

The solutions:
1. remove converter and replace with inverter/charger - physically this would be cost/logistically prohibitive due to the 30ft (straight run) addition of battery cabling and solar cabling needed.

2. just disconnect the converter and let the inverter/charger do its thing - I have to listen to the fan.

3. ensure my inverter circuit is off manually when I go to bed as well as the battery shutoff to the inverter unless I need it.

4. Install a external a 20A transfer switch that basically does not energize the AC power to the inverter unless there is no power in that circuit.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:18 AM   #9
Cheesehead4Life

Quote:
My understanding is as long as my inverter has pass-through then the install is very straightforward, Hot Side of the Romex to the input, cold side of the Romex to the output (+appropriate size 12v wires). The pass-through auto switch will detect Shore power so I don't need the remote/monitor, but it doesn't hurt to have one.

Is there any inherent issue if I install an inverter/charger type unit instead? Will it conflict with the onboard charger or will the batteries simply have 2 charging sources as it would if my truck was connected?
Yes you are understanding the basic wiring on an inverter or inverter/charger. The issue to investigate is something Chuckster brought up, but to expand on it so you better understand, it depends on if the converter/charger would be supplied 120v by your inverter. If it is, and you are not on shore power, then you must disconnect it because it would draw 120v from the inverter, which gets the power FROM the battery to turnaround and CHARGE the battery. Not good. If you're installing it in an RV with an "inverter loop" that Keystone included, I'd assume the inverter is not powering the converter/charger with 120v. But test that to determine for sure.

I have a Victron MultiPlus 2 2x120 (inverter/charge) which powers my entire RV. I left my converter/charger intact but it's almost always disconnected (breaker off). If I am on shore power and want to speed up the charging, then I turn that on for a faster charge to supplement the inverter/charger. But I have to remember to turn it back off before going on battery (inverter) power.

2020 Outback 341RD
2018 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Cheesehead4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:23 AM   #10
Wandering medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Trying to follow this and don't understand the bolded.
The more amperage the inverter draws + the further it is from the batteries will dictate the diameter of the +/- wires used to hook up the inverter.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:28 AM   #11
Wandering medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead4Life View Post
Yes you are understanding the basic wiring on an inverter or inverter/charger. The issue to investigate is something Chuckster brought up, but to expand on it so you better understand, it depends on if the converter/charger would be supplied 120v by your inverter. If it is, and you are not on shore power, then you must disconnect it because it would draw 120v from the inverter, which gets the power FROM the battery to turnaround and CHARGE the battery. Not good. If you're installing it in an RV with an "inverter loop" that Keystone included, I'd assume the inverter is not powering the converter/charger with 120v. But test that to determine for sure.

I have a Victron MultiPlus 2 2x120 (inverter/charge) which powers my entire RV. I left my converter/charger intact but it's almost always disconnected (breaker off). If I am on shore power and want to speed up the charging, then I turn that on for a faster charge to supplement the inverter/charger. But I have to remember to turn it back off before going on battery (inverter) power.
- Currently no inverter present.
- victron solar charger direct to batteries (oem install)

Thought is to install the 2000w Renogy inverter/charger with wired remote inline with Romex then be done with it.

https://ca.renogy.com/2000w-12v-pure...w-lcd-display/

Am I thinking too simplistic and missing anything?
Old 03-10-2024, 11:05 AM   #12
Shag

That is what I'm going to do. Just turn off breaker that feeds the converter and you are all set. The inverter/charger should have a pass thru for shore power. If plugged in it will charge batteries and power 120v and 12v sides. When unplugged solar will charge batteries and inverter/charger will provide 120v and 12v. The solar and inverter/ charger will work in harmony when plugged into shore power, no worries.
Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:17 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shag View Post
That is what I'm going to do. Just turn off breaker that feeds the converter and you are all set. The inverter/charger should have a pass thru for shore power. If plugged in it will charge batteries and power 120v and 12v sides. When unplugged solar will charge batteries and inverter/charger will provide 120v and 12v. The solar and inverter/ charger will work in harmony when plugged into shore power, no worries.
Check out that circuit with the breaker for the converter. Often times that breaker will also control some or all the recepticals. Often it will be labeled CON/REC to denote that it controls both.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:21 AM   #14
Shag

Would then just remove the "hot" wire from that circuit breaker and be done. But very good point.
Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 02:44 PM   #15
jxnbbl

Quote:
The more amperage the inverter draws + the further it is from the batteries will dictate the diameter of the +/- wires used to hook up the inverter.
...ah the battery cables! At 2000W your at a 2/0 anyways even if it is 5 ft away. Any "run" to the power center should be done on the AC side imo.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:12 PM   #16
440scout

Quote:
Hello everyone, I've done some reading and I think I'm ready to purchase the inverter I just want to confirm I've got the basics down.

I have a 2022 hideout with factory installed solar panels and victron 100/50 charger.

Long term. I plan to install extra batteries on a set of slides in the pass-through, but for now I have the standard upgraded dual 6v 100ah
So if your plan is to connect to the factory inverter ready connections then that is very likely a feed to one circuit that may be 20 amps or possibly a 15 amp circuit.
Your camper may be new enough that it has a converter that is lithium capable you don't really need an inverter with charger, right?. If it is lithium capable then I would just go with a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter with automatic transfer switch. How about the Aims 2000 watt with ATS on Amazon for $426? I just installed one of them for making coffee or watching tv, etc while boondocking. It was a fairly easy installation. Mount it close to your batteries, use number 2/0 battery cables and size 12 romex to and from the circuit and inverter. The remote panel came with a long lead so you can mount that almost anywhere.

Tags
inverter