Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
TinaMBee1

underbed storage

I have a big space under the bed that is pretty useless. Had the dealer install those struts that hold up the top but they are WAY too strong and you can't push the dag gone thing down! Did it twice -trying to give it a chance - and the board has cracked. Put a board across it to try and strengthen it but still doesn't work. I would like to take off the struts and see if that space can be converted to a pull out drawer. Anyone taken that on?
TinaMBee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Have you thought about just replacing the struts with some that aren't as stout? Really easy and inexpensive to do.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Have you thought about just replacing the struts with some that aren't as stout? Really easy and inexpensive to do.
That’s what I would recommend too.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

If you have the room to move one end of each strut farther away it will decrease the lift it applies. A few inches will make a big difference on the lift so you may have to experiment. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If you have the room to move one end of each strut farther away it will decrease the lift it applies. A few inches will make a big difference on the lift so you may have to experiment. JM2¢, Hank

Since they are a set length I'm thinking moving either end is going to change the angle of the lift of the bed. I'm thinking of doing the same thing (sort of) but with longer struts.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Since they are a set length I'm thinking moving either end is going to change the angle of the lift of the bed. I'm thinking of doing the same thing (sort of) but with longer struts.
By moving the fulcrum back you increase the length of the lever and make it easier to pull down the bed. (Theoretically)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:47 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Agree. A longer strut with a different fulcrum point would alleviate the issue I'm figuring but attachment points have to change. Pretty simple until you start trying to disassemble all the boards/supports under the bed. I just did it but for the OP a lighter strut might be the answer I'm thinking.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:34 AM   #8
Pull Toy

A short piece of broomstick or 2x4 should do the trick a lot cheaper than new struts.

If you do remove the struts, make sure they are extended all of the way. They can pack a mean punch if still under pressure.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:04 AM   #9
nied

Had the same problem with my installation. See https://www.hatchlift.com/bedlift-kits-installation
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:07 AM   #10
TinaMBee1

Quote:
I had the dealership install the struts so you would think they would have used ones that would actually work. That cost me $100. Don't want to spend more money to get another set installed by someone and not have them work either.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:35 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMBee1 View Post
I had the dealership install the struts so you would think they would have used ones that would actually work. That cost me $100. Don't want to spend more money to get another set installed by someone and not have them work either.

The struts cost about $20 (just replaced them on this trailer) and snap off and on; about a 5 minute job.....unless the supports tore off and you have to reassemble all that as I did.

There's a fine line on picking the right strut, angle etc. for your particular circumstance. As an example this trailer came with a king size bed mattress. We had it removed, the platform cut down and a mattress dealer took a new residential mattress to the dealership and put it in before we picked it up. The struts used for the OE king mattress would not support the new residential queen so upped the pressure 20lbs. on each strut and now it's perfect.

Measure the length of the strut, note the pressure and order what would appear to be the correct pressure. We can help here if we have specifics. Here is a link to a place that has struts:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Gas-Struts-s/56.htm

I did not address the conversion of the storage space into drawers simply because it seems to me that correcting the struts would be far more economical, easier and more effective. If the platform has cracked a picture might help so we can see exactly what happened and where. Given that info I'm sure there is a way it could be reinforced and get you going.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:37 AM   #12
JGEORGE

Quote:
You could try removing just one strut or getting weaker struts is pretty easy. Have you upgraded your mattress yet, heavy mattresses sometimes need stronger struts. Just something to think about. Good luck.
JGEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #13
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGEORGE View Post
You could try removing just one strut or getting weaker struts is pretty easy. Have you upgraded your mattress yet, heavy mattresses sometimes need stronger struts. Just something about. Good luck.
haven't upgraded anything. the mattress on it is the mattress that was on there when the deal installed the struts. you would have thought they would have picked the right strut for the right job. I'm not a handy person at all is the reason I had the dealer install it
Old 06-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #14
JGEORGE

Quote:
haven't upgraded anything. the mattress on it is the mattress that was on there when the deal installed the struts. you would have thought they would have picked the right strut for the right job. I'm not a handy person at all is the reason I had the dealer install it
Yeah, I agree they should of put the right struts on the first time. Sorry your having this issue. I know its very frustrating.
JGEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
I'm not a handy person at all is the reason I had the dealer install it
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it's beneficial to be at least a little handy if you own an RV. Otherwise you will end up spending quite a lot of money and time ffaffing around with dealers and RV techs. There are a lot of simple jobs (like this one) that you can do with simple tools, that will save you money.
As someone pointed out, these struts are cheap to buy, readily available and easily mounted with simple tools like a screwdriver.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

I had an RV once where I used the area under the bed for storage (the RV was small... (22' Sunnybrook Harmony) like laundry and cases of bottled water and cokes, etc. When I pulled the bed platform up I recall the struts getting stuck in the full extended position. Common wisdom based on a google search is just more weight to get them closed. If you can't, the wrong struts were used (too heavy duty). I have a residential queen mattress on our camper's bed frame and can't lift it easily due to the weight. I have thought about cutting a rectangle(s) from the front of the frame and installing one or two drawers; would be easy enough but since we have a lot more storage than we need for our shorting camping excursions probably won't ever get to it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:23 AM   #17
Stableduck

We have a passport 195rb which has the water tank under the bed which make the storage area smaller. I didn’t like lifting the bed so I made a door at the foot of the bed.
I like the idea of a drawer, I might have to rethink the door. I did put drawers in the end of the dinette seats For for easy access.
I figured out how to add pics but I don’t know how to turn them. Sorry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01292596-FE97-4936-B58A-8AF9B8A41BAC.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	27870   Click image for larger version

Name:	D649671B-E807-49A6-85ED-916DD37CBC99.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	27871   Click image for larger version

Name:	22FAD7DD-20A8-4B02-95C5-6A73E2B93678.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	27872   Click image for larger version

Name:	816136DA-B315-4121-AD99-3586FDB860A4.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	27873  
Stableduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
rafael&cary

I install 12 volt electric actuators and with a press of a button goes up and down easy to install
rafael&cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #19
hazmat456

https://www.mcmaster.com/gas-springs
Go to this site and do the math in reverse. It will tell you where to mount the springs.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #20
heyokasni

This could turn into a happy accident.

First off, the dealer installed the wrong struts. They are way too stout for your original mattress.

We've learned that the mattress that comes with the trailer is pretty bad.
When we bought our last trailer, we told the dealer to keep the mattress.
We ordered a Classic Brands 10.5" cool gel Queen Sized mattress from Amazon for $250.

When it arrived, I realized that it was too heavy for me to lift easily so I ordered a Hatch Lift Bed Lift kit and installed it. Problem solved.

Installing a much heavier memory foam mattress will likely solve the mattress lift problem.

Additionally, our Classic Brands mattress is actually the most comfortable mattress we've ever owned.

Good luck
heyokasni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, storage