Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
TimmyD

Rainier tires

Can anyone give me any information on the Rainier GL285T tires?
Thanks in advance
TimmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyD View Post
Thanks in advance

Should say on sidewallcountry or origin. Also the first 2 characters in the DOT serial identifies the plant that made the tire.

Go HERE
Click on EQUIPMENT
enter the DOT code to get the answer
Old 03-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
TimmyD

I’m wanting to know if it is a good quality tire or is it in the same category as Towmax....junk!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Tireman9

Quote:
I’m wanting to know if it is a good quality tire or is it in the same category as Towmax....junk!

Don't know how to learn that info. Given that many of the failures on RV trailers are due to overload and underinflation and over-speed and over age (as stated in owner's Manual.)

Simply having a tire failure is not evidence of a tire being "junk".

I think you will find many who had problems with Goodyear Marathon tires but that doesn't mean that all Goodyears are junk or even that every marathon tire was properly maintained.

I have posted the results of tire autopsies where the evidence proved low inflation yet some still want to ignore the physical evidence and assume correlation means causation.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
TimmyD

Does anyone ELSE have a history with this tire??
Old 04-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
Salt Life

I don't. I used to have towmax too. Now I use Maxxis. Heard nothing but good things about them. I know this doesn't answer your question....
Salt Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Thanks in advance
When a tire manufacturer gets all the accolades such as Sailun has got with their steel cased tires, others are sure to follow. And, that's what's happening in the China ST plants right now. They are all building those tires. So, it's back to "my name is better than yours" stuff.

In basic construction the Sailun S637 is identical to the Rainier GL285T. Only what each manufacturer has held out as confidential information could be disputed and of course we don't know what that may be.

It's like any new design on the market, time will tell. Right now the Rainier is up against a well thought of and proven, by many standards, popular competitor.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The Rainier GL285T is "the new kid on the block" and is "untried with little/no reputation or consumer use". So, it boils down to whether you want to "risk being the guinea pig" or wait for someone else to test the new product....

As a comparison, Goodyear Endurance ST tires were in that same category a couple years ago. "advertised as being great" but no consumer reliability data...

Sailun has a strong reputation of being a troublefree G series tire. Rainier "may or may not" prove to be as good, maybe better, maybe worse. If it were me, I'd let somebody else do the testing and I'll buy Sailun. In 5 or 6 years, if Rainier has "proven to be as good" then I'll shop the pricing. Until then, You can test them, I'll stay with what I know works.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires