Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
slayer1000

KeyTV and Sirius/XM

Hello,

So, I picked up my new 2020 Premier 26RB a week ago to replace my 2017 22RB and a very new and from what I've read a nice feature is the Keystone KeyTV system.

From all of the research I've done and videos I've watched the KeyTV system knows what's being plugged into it; cable TV, Satellite, Dish, etc, but I've made a couple of attempts to install my Sirius/XM satellite antenna into the cable coax connection like on my 2017 Premier 22RB (without KeyTV) and get no signal. It worked great on my 2017 Premier, but can't get it to work on my 2020 Premier without running the antenna out the door or window.

Has anyone attempted to get a Sirius/XM satellite radio antenna to work with the KeyTV system? If so, how??? I've logged one trip so far this summer with a 12 day trip coming up in a month and would like to get this working before then.

Thanks!
slayer1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

The KeyTV knows what is being plugged in outside and directs the signal inside accordingly. I don’t recall ever reading that it was compatible with Sirius/XM though. Does Sirius/XM actually have a coax connection for its antenna or is this a “home remedy”?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
slayer1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
The KeyTV knows what is being plugged in outside and directs the signal inside accordingly. I don’t recall ever reading that it was compatible with Sirius/XM though. Does Sirius/XM actually have a coax connection for its antenna or is this a “home remedy”?

Yep, it's a pretty basic adapter to connect the Sirius/XM antenna to a coax connection like this one on amazon basically the adapter lets you plug the Sirius/XM antenna into the coax connection on the outside of an RV and use the cable connection inside the rig to the Sirius/XM radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sirius XM coax adapter.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	27615  
Old 05-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You may have to do a little sleuthing on that adapter vs KeyTV. In their documentation KeyTV stipulates RG6 for all connections and that doesn't appear to be that, but more importantly it says the system "detects" what signal is being input - "coax for TV", coax for satellite or nothing connected for OTA channels. It may not recognize an adapter for Sirius.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the KEYTV guides that I can find, the system is "compatible with Satellite or Cable TV. It is not compatible with Satellite radio.

"What satellite providers are KeyTV compatible with? KeyTV is fully compatible with DISH® Network and DirecTV® in the U.S., Shaw Direct and Bell in Canada."

If you don't have it handy, you can download the KEYTV Quickstart Guide here:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=76350 See the link in post #1.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #6
slayer1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You may have to do a little sleuthing on that adapter vs KeyTV. In their documentation KeyTV stipulates RG6 for all connections and that doesn't appear to be that, but more importantly it says the system "detects" what signal is being input - "coax for TV", coax for satellite or nothing connected for OTA channels. It may not recognize an adapter for Sirius.

Yep, I think you are correct sourdough...I'm pretty sure those existing connectors/adapters are RG5. After reviewing more comments and documentation I have a sneaky suspicion that KeyTV doesn't support SiriusXM, but I will research the RG6 connectors to see if maybe that's the solution.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I suspect it isn't compatible with sat radio. The Key TV most likely isn't "looking" for that frequency so it doesn't recognize it or do anything with it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #8
slayer1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I suspect it isn't compatible with sat radio. The Key TV most likely isn't "looking" for that frequency so it doesn't recognize it or do anything with it.

Thanks for the input Marshall! I've sent a message to Keystone to see if they have any thoughts on my KeyTV and Sirius/XM issue we'll see if they respond. If they do I'll definitely add more to this post.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #9
slayer1000

Well, it took a while but I finally received an answer from Keystone....

KeyTV does not support Sirius/XM Satellite...very disappointing. Looks like I'll have to have something hard wired through the roof.

Here is there exact response...

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. I do apologize as your Key TV set up is for TV only and does not support your radio antenna. Again, I do apologize.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer1000 View Post
Well, it took a while but I finally received an answer from Keystone....

KeyTV does not support Sirius/XM Satellite...very disappointing. Looks like I'll have to have something hard wired through the roof.

Here is there exact response...

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. I do apologize as your Key TV set up is for TV only and does not support your radio antenna. Again, I do apologize.

I think the "key" to "KeyTV" is the "TV" in the name... It's not "KeyTV and Sirius/XM" or even "KeyTV and AM/FM"...

The advertising "mantra" is: KeyTV Plug-and-Play technology makes it easy to seamlessly watch over-the-air, satellite or cable TV

Here's the link to what it's supposed to do: https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-nav...-into-your-rv/

Not mentioned in that article is that the "FM support" only applies to the "internally mounted FM antenna in the roof antenna module"... KeyTV doesn't support even an external FM antenna, just the built in one.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #11
ChuckS

The bandwidth of the AM/FM frequency range of the KeyTV module is no where near high enough to recognize or pass the signals from the Xm Radio antenna

AM/FM Specs:
The AM spectrum extends from 535 to 1705 kHz, and FM ranges from 88 to 108 MHz.

XM Radio Specs:
XM service is assigned 12.5 MHz of bandwidth in the frequency range of 2332.5 to 2345 MHz

The attenuation loss of the 75 ohm RG6 coax ... let alone the internal bandwidth of the KeyTV components would be huge at the freq range the XM radio antenna operates at

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote