Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2023, 12:04 PM   #1
Squanto

Vents self open on highway?

So, every time I get somewhere on the highway I notice my vents wide open when I know they were closed before starting out. Somehow, aerodynamics pull them open even when they are hinged in the front. I would think the wind would be more likely to push them shut, but I'm not an AE. So far, we haven't traveled in heavy rain so it hasn't been a big deal and I just shut them when we stop. But sooner or or later we're going to hit some weather and be faced with pulling over or continuing and possibly arriving with a wet bed and bathroom.

Is this normal? Is there a good way to keep them closed?
Squanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:31 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto View Post
So, every time I get somewhere on the highway I notice my vents wide open when I know they were closed before starting out. Somehow, aerodynamics pull them open even when they are hinged in the front. I would think the wind would be more likely to push them shut, but I'm not an AE. So far, we haven't traveled in heavy rain so it hasn't been a big deal and I just shut them when we stop. But sooner or or later we're going to hit some weather and be faced with pulling over or continuing and possibly arriving with a wet bed and bathroom.

Which vents are you referring to? My vents have crank handles inside the cabin to open. They couldn't open while travelling. Take a pic of the inside of your vent you refer to might help.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 01:03 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've not ever had that happen but I suspect it does on some trailers due to some anomaly because I've seen too many open. Maybe they were intentionally left open but it may have been a situation like yours.

IMO I would just put MaxAir covers over them and be done with it. They are great add ons and protect you from various unforeseen situations like this that can happen with a vent. If you don't want to do that you might make sure you tighten the knob securely next time to put some tension on it and keep it hopefully in place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 01:45 PM   #4
LHaven

I'm not sure if you're talking about roof vents, oven vents, or jalousies. Clarify?

I've had roof vents plop open in windy weather. The lift arm in my Fan-tastic vents had a wheel that ran along a long slot in the lid, and the axle pin occasionally slid out of the wheel, releasing all latching of the cover. I replaced the slip-fit axle with a common bolt and nut, and it never occurred again.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:34 PM   #5
Squanto

Talking about the roof vents bathroom (with cheap fan) and bedroom. I do eventually plan to change out the bedroom for a Max Aur fan but as of yet we've only had the living room A/C on a couple times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230607_161932.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	44173  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230607_161914.jpg (501.6 KB, 164 views)
Squanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:38 PM   #6
LHaven

OK, I can see the lift arm in the center of the photo and everything looks attached. Is the actual screw wheel turning, or do you maybe have a nylon gear stripping and letting the cover get sucked up?
Old 06-07-2023, 02:44 PM   #7
Squanto

Both work up and down via the knob. After first taking possession and then a couplehour drive, brand new, I found the knob on the bathroom floor. Took me a minute to figure out where it came from and then also found the screw. Put it back on with some loctite. Later found the bedroom knob and screw on the bed so same fix. No problems since, except opening on the highway.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:21 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

I have never experienced those vents opening by themselves on any of the campers we have owned.

We had the dealer install MaxxAir II covers on this one before we picked it up. We leave the vents open 99.9% of the time, even in the winter. Real peace of mind knowing that no matter the weather, no rain or snow ever gets inside
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:29 PM   #9
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Quote:

I have had my roof vents do exactly that but figured out that if I tightened them closed a little MORE then it does not happen. Has not happened since.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:41 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

If the vent covers are opening on their own, then you do have a potential problem should you tow in a rain storm. You'd potentially introduce what could be a substantial amount of rainwater into the trailer before you realize there's a problem....

It will take some "detective work" to find the reason why the vents are opening, and without that bit of information, fixing them will be a "hit and miss series of trials by error"....

If you can't find a reason for them opening on their own, I'd recommend going ahead and changing out the current bedroom vent for that Max-Air that you want. That will solve the problem in the bedroom. As for the bathroom vent, you could buy a $20 "vent cover" to install on the roof, over the vent. That way, if it still opens, at least it will be protected and significantly less likely to flood the trailer if towing in the rain.

You might want to consider putting the Max-Air fan in the bathroom. Those little 6" fans don't move much air, are noisy and prone to failure. Plus, the wiring for power is already there while you probably don't have 12 VDC power at the vent opening in the bedroom. If you put the fan in the bath, then you could put the "vent cover" in the bedroom....

Either way, I'd cover the vent/vents with some means to keep water out if the vents might open at the worst time....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 03:56 PM   #11
Squanto

Maybe I have been guilty of not closing it hard enough. It just seemed like kind of a flimsy deal and I didn't want to break it.

I just tried to turn the bathroom vent a little harder and it did suck the plastic down a bit and hit a stop so maybe that's what I need to do before traveling.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:52 PM   #12
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
I have had my roof vents do exactly that but figured out that if I tightened them closed a little MORE then it does not happen. Has not happened since.
We also had a long cargo trailer with two cheap roof vents that would vibrate open if not closed very snugly.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:58 PM   #13
Max23

I have not had the issue you are talking about, however, like others I do recommend the MaxxAir covers. I like to have my vents open going down the highway on the warm days to help move some air through. Also, I've been told that helps with humidity which we all know campers have way to much of for some reason.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:45 AM   #14
CedarCreekWoody

I've had mine open from vibration on the road. I installed a vent cover with great results.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:55 AM   #15
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
Same here happened to us on a previous travel trailer. I had to tighten the knob down really tight. It felt like I was over tightening it. But that took care of the problem.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:21 AM   #16
LHaven

The most direct way to address this problem might be to ladder up to the roof and give the dome a sequence of tugs and jiggles by hand. If you have a mechanical strippage anywhere, it should become apparent.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:32 PM   #17
Cheesehead4Life

I have had same problems. It's not like it just lifts up in one sudden movement, but it seams to be rattling in the wind and on each rattle, it ratchets up a tiny bit more each time until it is wide open. I was afraid to overtighten it because I didn't want to strip gears, but I did snug it harder and no problems in the 3k miles since. Eventually I will likely replace with one of the better fans, so I guess I won't worry about stripping gears. When it happens it happens.

2020 Outback 341RD
2018 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Cheesehead4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:19 PM   #18
Hblick48

I have vent covers on all of my vents. Once in a while one of the vents will mysteriously be open upon arrival to our campsite. I chalk it up to it not closed tightly. Doesn't ever seem to happen when I make sure lids are tightly clised.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:04 PM   #19
Greggde

Make sure that you measure accurately as I fave ordered 2 Max Fans that did not fit the opening in our 2019 Fusion Toy Haulerour opening was undersized and I didn’t want to hassel with the needed enlargement. Our two other fans are the Max type and I installed the Max Covers on all three with great satisfaction.
Greggde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:49 AM   #20
Balvar24

Quote:

Not normal, but I've had it happen to me before. Thinking about the MaxAire Cover just in case.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent