Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #1
Brantel

High idle kit install - with video!

Here is a quick video detailing my install of a BD Performance High Idle kit on my 22 F450.

This is not a sponsored video, I am not monetized, I am not a professional. I don’t even ask to like and subscribe!

Enjoy or not!

https://youtu.be/-Xk8prdQPLE
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Here is a quick video detailing my install of a BD Performance High Idle kit on my 22 F450.

This is not a sponsored video, I am not monetized, I am not a professional. I don’t even ask to like and subscribe!

Enjoy or not!

https://youtu.be/-Xk8prdQPLE
Will that void the engine warranty? I’d be afraid to do any engine mods but then again I tend to worry about silly things.

I found out the my Ram has the factory high idle setting built in already…you have a nice looking truck!
Old 09-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
travelin texans

Surprised your newer Ford didn't have it built in from the factory, my '13 GMC had a setting to turn it off/on in DIC.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #4
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Will that void the engine warranty? I’d be afraid to do any engine mods but then again I tend to worry about silly things.

I found out the my Ram has the factory high idle setting built in already…you have a nice looking truck!
No, it just takes advantage of the provisions provided by Ford to do this very thing.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
No, it just takes advantage of the provisions provided by Ford to do this very thing.
Wow, even my 2016 Ram 3500 DRW has built in fast idle.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #6
firestation12

Yeah but does it….?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Wow, even my 2016 Ram 3500 DRW has built in fast idle.
Very nice, but does your 2016 Ram 3500 DRW have a 10 speed transmission, 475 hp, and 1,075 lbs/ft of torque like the OP’s?
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #7
Brentw

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Very nice, but does your 2016 Ram 3500 DRW have a 10 speed transmission, 475 hp, and 1,075 lbs/ft of torque like the OP’s?
Hahaha, burn
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:25 PM   #8
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Naw, but it has the same engine manufacturer as locomotives, tanks, dozers, stand-alone generators, semis…. Should I keep goin?

And it’ll be on the road long after that Ferd turd.

And it came from the factory 6 years ago with a high idle built in.

And the motor ain’t upside down, and you don’t need to take the cab off to work on it. LOL.
Heavy_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:30 PM   #9
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Chevy View Post
Naw, but it has the same engine manufacturer as locomotives, tanks, dozers, stand-alone generators, semis…. Should I keep goin?

And it came from the factory 6 years ago with a high idle built in.��
Lol. I really like the Ram trucks but where I live, that Ram will be the Cummins on a frame with a seat and no rocker or quarter panels left long before a Ford (or Chevy for that matter) suffers the same fate.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:46 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Chevy View Post

And it came from the factory 6 years ago with a high idle built in.

And the motor ain’t upside down, and you don’t need to take the cab off to work on it. LOL.
Lovin' it!
From another non Ford fan!
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #11
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Lol. I really like the Ram trucks but where I live, that Ram will be the Cummins on a frame with a seat and no rocker or quarter panels left long before a Ford (or Chevy for that matter) suffers the same fate.
Ain’t that the truth.. gotta get that salt off quick and keep it off.

I’m just messin. They all have pros and cons. Rams are DEF hogs and the body will rust away. Chevys have electric gremlins you’ll never figure out. Until you learn how bad Their grounding points are. Fords? Well…. They’re fast and powerful. When they work. Which is rare.

You know what they say.. you’ll never beat a fast Ford. Good thing you’ll never find one that runs either!
Old 09-17-2021, 09:22 PM   #12
jfk69

Back to the OP, beautiful truck, great video, glad it all worked out well. I DO think it should come standard from the factory. With that said, I simply don’t idle long enough to feel the need. Summer or winter, towing the RV, daily driving, it doesn’t matter to me. The emission systems/engine/turbo do not like long idles so I avoid it. I’ll let her idle for a minute or so after a pull before I shut her down, and it rarely takes more than a minute or two to hook or unhook before or after pulling, so idling is minimal.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:34 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Hopefully, this thread is back on track.

If you "really, REALLY feel the need to make childish comments about "my truck is bigger or better or rusts less"... PLEASE start your own thread so the site team can more easily delete YOUR comments without affecting what started out as a valid informational thread about a truck modification that other members might find interesting.....

If you can't think about what you're posting, maybe it would be better to just not post anything.

I'm going to start deleting posts that at a blatant attempt to put down another member's choices in vehicle manufacture. There's simply no place for that kind of "look at me, mine is bigger, or better, or smarter or yours is not as big, not as good, not as reliable"....

So, STOP IT !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:43 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

So Im just wondering, What is the advantage of the high idle?

I understand in the winter you dont want "wet stacking" from long idle times, Do you have accessories that require higher RPMS?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Back to the OP, beautiful truck, great video, glad it all worked out well. I DO think it should come standard from the factory. With that said, I simply don’t idle long enough to feel the need. Summer or winter, towing the RV, daily driving, it doesn’t matter to me. The emission systems/engine/turbo do not like long idles so I avoid it. I’ll let her idle for a minute or so after a pull before I shut her down, and it rarely takes more than a minute or two to hook or unhook before or after pulling, so idling is minimal.
I'm the same way, never saw the need for the extended high idle times in my opinion.
Had 2 GMCs with 300k+ miles between them, both daily drivers & I drove just as I did any other vehicle, started it put in gear & go, stop turn off key & lock the door, never any issues other than 1 recall on each truck. Never any electrical gremlins either.
Back before they quieted down the Ford's & Dodge's, now called Rams, seems as we always had the pleasure of getting parked next to one of them, some times one of each on each side, that had to let it "warm up" for about an hour at 6am before they hooked up to leave, the noise & the stink were horrible. Thank you manufacturers for making them quiet & less stinky!!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-18-2021, 07:51 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm the same way, never saw the need for the extended high idle times in my opinion.
Had 2 GMCs with 300k+ miles between them, both daily drivers & I drove just as I did any other vehicle, started it put in gear & go, stop turn off key & lock the door, never any issues other than 1 recall on each truck. Never any electrical gremlins either.
Back before they quieted down the Ford's & Dodge's, now called Rams, seems as we always had the pleasure of getting parked next to one of them, some times one of each on each side, that had to let it "warm up" for about an hour at 6am before they hooked up to leave, the noise & the stink were horrible. Thank you manufacturers for making them quiet & less stinky!!!
My IDI is loud in comparision to the newer ones, I only started it long enough to see the temp gauge start rising and get the transmission fluid started to warm up. and I did idle out out the park, I was taught to never start towing a big load without at least warming things up a bit..We always stopped in the early afternoon and I did let it idle until the Pyrometer was below 350.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

This kind of thread is interesting to me. As one that has never wanted a diesel, at all, for personal use I have begun leaning toward trying one for the heck of it before I kick the bucket. I pretty much know gas engines front, back in and out but know very little about the idiosyncrasies of owning a diesel truck for daily driving, which seems problematic. Although this was about a Ford mod and I will probably buy a Ram, I suspect these same measures are required on all diesel trucks so although it's a different truck it's still interesting and enlightening.

As far as "mine's bigger than yours" etc. - tried to grow out of that many decades ago; we all like what we like for whatever reason so to each his own. DW would puke if I fed her a potted meat sandwich, to me it's as good as a ribeye (when I'm in the mood).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

I can think of a number of reasons why a high idle would be wanted:

Using a PTO with a winch or a snowplow hydraulic pump or other "front drive accessory" that has a high idle operating requirement.

Faster warmup in cold weather

Doing a DEF regeneration while the vehicle is parked

Cooling down the turbo more efficiently after a hard pull.

Jump starting a stranded vehicle and wanting maximum alternator output from the diesel vehicle.

Maintaining a higher idle to recharge dead batteries in the diesel vehicle after it has been "jump started".

My diesel came with a switch activated high idle that's implemented by using the #4 accessory switch on the Upfitter Switch Panel. All the parameters must be met to initiate the high idle (parking brake set, transmission in park, operational brake lights, engine at normal idle and vehicle speed zero). If these conditions are met, turn the #4 upfitter switch on, the switch light will illuminate and within 3 seconds the engine idle will increase to 1200RPM. There is no means to adjust idle speed on my system.

If I select a "stationary DEF regeneration" the ECU will automatically increase the idle to 1200 RPM without using the upfitter switch. At the end of the regeneration, the engine idle speed will return to normal. If the upfitter switch is turned on during the regeneration, the regeneration will cancel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I can think of a number of reasons why a high idle would be wanted:

Using a PTO with a winch or a snowplow hydraulic pump or other "front drive accessory" that has a high idle operating requirement.

Faster warmup in cold weather

Doing a DEF regeneration while the vehicle is parked

Cooling down the turbo more efficiently after a hard pull.

Jump starting a stranded vehicle and wanting maximum alternator output from the diesel vehicle.

Maintaining a higher idle to recharge dead batteries in the diesel vehicle after it has been "jump started".

My diesel came with a switch activated high idle that's implemented by using the #4 accessory switch on the Upfitter Switch Panel. All the parameters must be met to initiate the high idle (parking brake set, transmission in park, operational brake lights, engine at normal idle and vehicle speed zero). If these conditions are met, turn the #4 upfitter switch on, the switch light will illuminate and within 3 seconds the engine idle will increase to 1200RPM. There is no means to adjust idle speed on my system.

If I select a "stationary DEF regeneration" the ECU will automatically increase the idle to 1200 RPM without using the upfitter switch. At the end of the regeneration, the engine idle speed will return to normal. If the upfitter switch is turned on during the regeneration, the regeneration will cancel.
I was aware of t he plow/PTO stuff. Glad I dont have a need for regen, or other upfitter stuff

K.I.S.S.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #20
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Hopefully, this thread is back on track.

If you "really, REALLY feel the need to make childish comments about "my truck is bigger or better or rusts less"... PLEASE start your own thread so the site team can more easily delete YOUR comments without affecting what started out as a valid informational thread about a truck modification that other members might find interesting.....

If you can't think about what you're posting, maybe it would be better to just not post anything.

I'm going to start deleting posts that at a blatant attempt to put down another member's choices in vehicle manufacture. There's simply no place for that kind of "look at me, mine is bigger, or better, or smarter or yours is not as big, not as good, not as reliable"....

So, STOP IT !!!!!
Get your panties out of a wad, Mr. big internet moderator tough guy. It’s all in good fun. With the exception of one statement, what I said was not an opinion. Facts. But it’s a forum, so if I wanted to share my opinion I CAN.

I’ve had all 3 brands, as my second post eluded to. Have a drink and cool off fella.