Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #1
brodavefla

Propane connection for outdoor kitchen

Hi folks,

We have a 2017 Cougar X-Lite 33 MLS that we bought used last year. We have an outdoor kitchen on it that we haven't used on the short jaunts we've done thus far. We're preparing for a two-month trip so are looking at using the outdoor kitchen. One problem: no propane is getting to the burners. I've looked everywhere, including under the chassis, to find some kind of cutoff switch but no luck Can someone tell me where it is? A pic would be helpful if possible.

Thx, BD
brodavefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Is there a quick disconnect mounted to the frame. If it does, it should have a shut off handle. You have to turn the handle 90 degrees to attach the hose and in that position the propane is turned OFF. Turn the handle in line with the fitting and the propane should be ON.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
brodavefla

Is there a quick disconnect mounted to the frame. If it does, it should have a shut off handle.

Well, I know there must be one somewhere under the chassis, but I didn't fine one when I crawled around under there.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodavefla View Post
Is there a quick disconnect mounted to the frame. If it does, it should have a shut off handle.

Well, I know there must be one somewhere under the chassis, but I didn't fine one when I crawled around under there.

You've looked right near the quick connect? Mine have always had the handle within 6-8" of it. Mine have had a red (yellow??) little rubber tip on the handle end.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If your stove is in a "roll out or slide out drawer" the gas connection may be in the back of the drawer space. In some trailers, Keystone installs a quick disconnect because there isn't enough space for the hose to "fold in when the drawer is pushed closed without kinking the propane hose"....

It's not very "intuitive" and doesn't make a lot of sense, until you get under the drawer and realize just how little space there is in there....

Take a look inside the outdoor kitchen space and see if the quick disconnect is under the countertop, behind the drawer with the stove.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

In our outdoor kitchen the stove is hinged and rotates out from under the sink perpendicular to the side of the trailer. The hose hangs down and is connected with a quick disconnect that sits under the trailer close to the frame. The valve on the quick connect operates as Chuck described. In any case, follow the LP line from that stove top and see where it leads you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #7
brodavefla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If your stove is in a "roll out or slide out drawer" the gas connection may be in the back of the drawer space. In some trailers, Keystone installs a quick disconnect because there isn't enough space for the hose to "fold in when the drawer is pushed closed without kinking the propane hose"....

It's not very "intuitive" and doesn't make a lot of sense, until you get under the drawer and realize just how little space there is in there....

Take a look inside the outdoor kitchen space and see if the quick disconnect is under the countertop, behind the drawer with the stove.
No quick connect whatsoever under the chassis. The other option mentioned here looks like the most likely; will recheck in the morning, thanks
Old 09-06-2021, 06:05 AM   #8
brodavefla

I am sending pics. First picture shows where the propane line goes into the back of the drawer that holds the stove. No switch there. Second photo shows the connection from the stove connection hardware to the hose. No switch there. The third photo shows the junction between the main propane pipe and a hose that tracks a convoluted path and eventually goes up into the trailer. No switch or quick connect there. The fourth photo shows where the hose comes out from the body of the trailer to the outdoor kitchen. I think I’ve identified what the problem is. Somebody had a bad day in a manufacturing plant somewhere in Indiana, and did not make a cut out so that this propane hose would not be pinched. I’m sure we can figure out how to get the drawer out so that we can get in there and make a cut out and see if that’s the problem, but since we are on the road in less than 48 hours from now, it ain’t gonna happen anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8DEE6B1-49E5-413B-BCC3-ACD086987798.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	35663   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBB1A4AB-5162-414D-8301-1F3246561EDA.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	35664   Click image for larger version

Name:	D9E610AF-47B2-41CF-BDD2-95931FCF526D.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	35665   Click image for larger version

Name:	68595E63-389F-4DD0-A65C-3FDDAD71177D.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	35666  
Old 09-06-2021, 06:08 AM   #9
brodavefla

The last pic got flipped upside down for some reason
Old 09-06-2021, 06:40 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

That "might" be the reason why the outside stove doesn't work, but my question would be, "On a 2017 model trailer???"

Seems to me in the last 5 years, possibly longer, that someone, likely a previous owner, would have at least tried to light the outside kitchen stove.... I'd be curious how this device has never been tried and the problem identified in all those years.....

Your visual inspection "might" have found the problem, but it seems unlikely a 5 year old part of the structure would "just now stop working".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #11
brodavefla

Can't speak for previous owner but we'd never attempted to use it til now. I have the impression the previous owner didn't use it much but, since they don't have odometers on them, it's hard to say. According to as sticker on the trailer body it was sold in PA, and we bought it in FL.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #12
Poppy

If you have 2 propane tanks, you might check the switch-over valve to make sure it’s in the right position.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:19 PM   #13
Desert Dog

Quote:
I am sending pics. First picture shows where the propane line goes into the back of the drawer that holds the stove. No switch there. Second photo shows the connection from the stove connection hardware to the hose. No switch there. The third photo shows the junction between the main propane pipe and a hose that tracks a convoluted path and eventually goes up into the trailer. No switch or quick connect there. The fourth photo shows where the hose comes out from the body of the trailer to the outdoor kitchen. I think I’ve identified what the problem is. Somebody had a bad day in a manufacturing plant somewhere in Indiana, and did not make a cut out so that this propane hose would not be pinched. I’m sure we can figure out how to get the drawer out so that we can get in there and make a cut out and see if that’s the problem, but since we are on the road in less than 48 hours from now, it ain’t gonna happen anytime soon.
Can you show a picture of your outdoor stove?

I have a different model that is a 2017 and the stove connection is much different. My stove is in a pull out drawer that has a short hose attached that I have to connect to the propane line via a quick connect that is located directly below. It's hard to say for sure, but it almost looks like a previous owner may have tried to convert a connection similar to mine to a permanently connected version. The picture showing the frame looks like where my quick connect is located. The last picture showing the hose routed between two panels looks like trouble. Unless it's just the picture, it looks as the line has the potential for chafing which could lead to a leak.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:19 PM   #14
NH_Bulldog

I believe the outdoor kitchen in question is on a slideout. If that’s the case, the gas connection is likely hard-plumbed in lieu of a quick connect fitting under the frame like with outdoor kitchens in a fixed position.

A pinched or kinked gas hose is very probable on a moving slideout. A good number of people with an inside kitchen on a slideout have experienced similar issues.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #15
Desert Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I believe the outdoor kitchen in question is on a slideout. If that’s the case, the gas connection is likely hard-plumbed in lieu of a quick connect fitting under the frame like with outdoor kitchens in a fixed position.

A pinched or kinked gas hose is very probable on a moving slideout. A good number of people with an inside kitchen on a slideout have experienced similar issues.
I am not familiar with that model, so that makes a lot of sense then. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2021, 04:12 AM   #16
brodavefla

This is a pic of the outdoor kitchen we have. Didn't think to post one earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 Cougar  TT outdoor kitchen.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	35691  
Old 09-07-2021, 04:16 AM   #17
brodavefla

I'm still getting used to this DB. Not sure why the pic gets flipped tho when click on it it's rightside up
Old 09-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #18
Mikelff

Quote:
I'm still getting used to this DB. Not sure why the pic gets flipped tho when click on it it's rightside up
You need to confirm the hose that comes off your stove has a quick disconnect on the end. I read through the thread and didn’t see you say you have a quick disconnect on the end of the hose. Follow that hose back until you reach the end and see if it has the disconnect. If it does, the connection on your trailer should be within the reach of that hose. I had trouble finding mine initially because someone had wrapped it with black electrical tape and I couldn’t see it. Took the tape off and inspected the hose and checked for leaks and all is good. Your connection should be right behind the slide out drawer, attached to the chassis underneath. Just have to follow the propane line to the very end as it leads up to your outdoor kitchen. If no quick connect, you might have to have one installed. One other thing, if your stove is connected directly to the propane line, it may take some time to get the gas to the stove, several minutes. Turn on the gas at the tank, then on your stove. Try to light every couple minutes or until you smell the gas. Eventually it should light unless there is some obstruction in the line. This also happens even with a quick disconnect. Takes some time for the gas to get back to the rear of the coach. By tracing both ends of the hose, from your stove and trailer, you will have your answers.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #19
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post

My kitchen is in a slide out. It is not hard-plumbed. It has a quick connect fitting and gas line is a hose to accommodate the in and out of a slide out. Have never seen an outdoor kitchen stove in a drawer directly plumbed to a gas line, in a slide or not. I have seen several outdoor kitchens and none were hard plumbed to the gas line. This could be the first.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #20
Mikelff

Quote:
Ok, looking through your pictures and description again, it looks like your stove IS hard plumbed to the gas line. First for me, but regardless, as long as no kinks in the hose (check where it comes in the back of the drawer) it should work. Make sure there are no leaks. Do the Dawn soap bubble test on the fittings. Make sure your propane tank is on and set correctly. Try your stove INSIDE the rig and make sure it lights. If it does, your gas is flowing. Turn on your outdoor kitchen stove and give it a few minutes for the gas and pressure to get back to your outdoor stove and be patient. Try lighting it every couple minutes or until you smell the gas. It should light eventually. If not, you have a blockage somewhere. Are those hoses underneath in your first picture normally like that? They shouldn’t be. They should be tucked up underneath to avoid snagging on something or taking a hit from road debris. Let us know if you get it working.

Tags
propane