Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
adman02

School Me on Holding Tanks

Hi. New to the forum.

I recently purchased a 2019 Cougar 32DBHS. I'm the second owner and I'm trying straighten a few things out from either the PO or the factory.

The second item on the list is figuring out my holding tanks (and there are two parts to this issue)

First part...My black tank valve seems to be leaking. I can say that with confidence because when I remove the outside waste pipe cover, contents of the black tank flows out even though the valve is supposedly closed. Yuck!

I dug into the innards of the trailer today and found the black tank and valve. The valve itself seems to be functioning OK (I opened it a little and heard water trickle out and it slides easily), but there's still "contents" when I open the waste cover pipe. Hmmm... Any thoughts or solutions?

Second part...I was under the trailer looking around and found a SECOND grey tank handle hidden behind the J-trim. What does this handle do?

• Top pic is the main control center with valves closed.
• Middle/top pic is outside the RV, just to the aft of the main control center (note the label "grey tank") and the main/only waste pipe
• Middle/bottom pic is the view from under the J trim - basically, what is behind the "grey tank" label (note the extra handle...in the open position)
• Bottom pic is my bladex valve...seemingly in good shape and closed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5979.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	35257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5980.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	35258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5981.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	35259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 12.49.53 PM.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	35260  
adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You will have 3 waste tank pull valves - 2 gray tanks and the blank tank. Generally one gray if for the galley and one is for the shower/bathroom sink. The 3rd is for the toilet/black tank.

As far as the "leakage" it's probably nothing. Once you dump there is some residual "water" in the line and if you remove the sewer hose and cap that dump line some liquid is going to form behind that cap. Not particularly from a leaking valve but residual liquid eventually working its way down to the back of the cap. Some folks buy an additional valve with a bayonet fitting to go on the end of the drain line so you can attach the sewer hose THEN pull the valve so any built up fluid can go into the sewer hose preventing that little gush of "who knows what" coming out when you remove the cap.

https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
travelin texans

Depending where or how far the piping is from the valve you'll have some liquid left in the piping. Either add the backup valve as Danny suggested or just be sure to connect the hose to the sewer connection 1st then hold the open hose under the cap when removing to catch as much of that leakage as possible.
With that said, if you have a big rush of liquid when removing the cap then you most likely have a leaking valve & may need the seals replaced in that valve.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

To add to "Danny and Danny's" comments: The previous owner may have not always used "septic safe toilet paper" as the only "non-human input to the black tank"... In other words, "flushable wipes" (which are NOT flushable), sanitary napkins, other feminine products may have been flushed down the toilet and there may be something "pushed between the rubber seals on the black tank valve"... It may not be "leaking" in the literal sense" and it may be "easy to slide open/closed" and at the same time, not fully closing because of a "flushable wipe" or other "ingredient" that's pushed into the seal space.

All that's needed "may" (or maybe not) be a good flush with LOTS AND LOTS of water, or possibly a screwdriver/piece of wire to clean out the debris between the seals......

At any rate, most people who have been "splashed once" will install the "last chance valve" at the end of their sewer connection..... You can pretty much tell who's been dirty before, just by looking at "sewer connections" as you walk around a campground..... That "last chance valve" is probably the "best $20 you'll ever spend" from a "don't like stink" perspective......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
adman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You can pretty much tell who's been dirty before, just by looking at "sewer connections" as you walk around a campground...
Ha! So true.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
adman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You will have 3 waste tank pull valves - 2 gray tanks and the blank tank. Generally one gray if for the galley and one is for the shower/bathroom sink. The 3rd is for the toilet/black tank.

As far as the "leakage" it's probably nothing. Once you dump there is some residual "water" in the line and if you remove the sewer hose and cap that dump line some liquid is going to form behind that cap. Not particularly from a leaking valve but residual liquid eventually working its way down to the back of the cap. Some folks buy an additional valve with a bayonet fitting to go on the end of the drain line so you can attach the sewer hose THEN pull the valve so any built up fluid can go into the sewer hose preventing that little gush of "who knows what" coming out when you remove the cap.

https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Was definitely looking at those. I always try to empty black first and grey second in hopes that the grey water will "wash" the waste pipes, but you may be on to something with the "residual" theory.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
adman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With that said, if you have a big rush of liquid when removing the cap then you most likely have a leaking valve & may need the seals replaced in that valve.
That sounds expensive...or messy...or both.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
ASCTLC

I haven't been caught by surprise by the seeped stink liquid before but wise enough to benefit from the ugly lessons of those before me.

I was always a boondocker but am beginning to consider actual camp grounds with hook ups. In that case it's not only the faulty valve leak but devious kids who'd sneak a pull of a valve handle to load up the pipe behind the outlet cap for giggles.

Instead of the bayonet style slide valve I had plenty of room to cut the factory cap outlet and glue in the slide valve.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #9
adman02

Quote:
It looks like the second/hidden grey tank handle has been open as long as I've owned it (3 months), so I'm assuming one grey tank has been emptying into the other? Is it OK to leave it that way? Or should I keep them closed/separated?

Also, that might explain why the tank monitor system shows two grey tanks, but I've only ever seen one get filled. : \
Old 08-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman02 View Post
Also, that might explain why the tank monitor system shows two grey tanks, but I've only ever seen one get filled. : \

It appears as if the plumbing in our Cougars depends entirely on which worker showed up that day and how much PVC cement was available. Like you, I have 2 gray tanks. However, I only have the one gray tank handle which empties both gray tanks. The tanks or thrir drains are somehow tied together so when you pull the handle, both empty at once. Works for me.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
That sounds expensive...or messy...or both.
Not too expensive, the seals are relatively cheap, but if hidden under the covered underbelly, if so equipped, can be laborous & possibly messy depending on how good of a tank flush was done prior to the repair.
Just know that unless you tilt the rv back & forth sides to side you'll NEVER completely empty any of the tanks again, there will always be some left.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #12
Canonman

Our galley grey does not drain into the bathroom grey. It drains directly to the main drain pipe. That said the down angle is fairly shallow and often does not drain well if the dump site is a little high at the main drain location. It doesn't help that when hitched up, I'm sitting a little nose high anyway. That's why I installed the Valterra waste valve. It works great with no surprises when I remove the cap to attach the hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL6004-HDR.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	35266  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Long story to explain another possible reason. End result local shop replaced black tank valve for 235 and no more problems.
See my listed trailer below. This year 3 times camping when I went to dump black tank, I would unscrew the small hose fitting on the cap and gals of black water came back. I triple check the valves to be sure they are closed before I leave home. I pour 5 gals of water into black tank before leaving the night before. At the 2nd dump malfunction, I flushed the black water tank out at home. I even put a quart of cooking oil into it and worked the valve dozens of times in hopes of clearing a blockage. After that I checked the valve and no leaks overnight. A week later I rechecked the valve handle before leaving and no leaking at all. This time when I got RV parked/leveled I checked the black valve handle and it was 1/4 inch open.
So it had wore out after 7 years enough that bouncing along on the trip it would back out or open up all on it's own. That's a first for me in 40 years of RVing. I doubt I am the first to have that happen.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
It looks like the second/hidden grey tank handle has been open as long as I've owned it (3 months), so I'm assuming one grey tank has been emptying into the other? Is it OK to leave it that way? Or should I keep them closed/separated?

Which one is it? Looked like the one in the convenience center was closed (bathroom gray) so figure it is the galley tank. As far as being plumbed into the other gray tank I doubt it from looking at the floorplan. In that case either the PO didn't know it was there or liked it open.

You can leave it that way but I wouldn't personally. When the tank fills with water (valve closed) the particles/bits/pieces that come out of the sink are suspended in the water and then get flushed out when you pull the dump valve. When it's open all the time those particles just look for something to stick to....especially the inside of your sewer hose, because there isn't any water to force them out. They just build and build (and stink).
Old 08-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #15
adman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
that bouncing along on the trip it would back out or open up all on it's own. That's a first for me in 40 years of RVing. I doubt I am the first to have that happen.
It's funny you say that. Even though this unit is only two years old, I wonder if the cable has stretched and/or the valve works loose on the road. Is there a way to adjust the length or tension on the cable?
Old 08-14-2021, 02:47 PM   #16
adman02

Quote:
Which one is it? Looked like the one in the convenience center was closed (bathroom gray) so figure it is the galley tank. As far as being plumbed into the other gray tank I doubt it from looking at the floorplan. In that case either the PO didn't know it was there or liked it open.

You can leave it that way but I wouldn't personally. When the tank fills with water (valve closed) the particles/bits/pieces that come out of the sink are suspended in the water and then get flushed out when you pull the dump valve. When it's open all the time those particles just look for something to stick to....especially the inside of your sewer hose, because there isn't any water to force them out. They just build and build (and stink).
I went back and attempted to label the pics. The third pic down shows the mystery valve handle (in open position). And there's a label on the outside of the RV just about where that handle is located that says "grey tank."

I suppose I should close it for the reasons you mentioned. But, it seems that it must drain through the second grey tank (the one accessed in the main control center) since I've never touched the mystery handle and haven't had a flood in the RV...yet.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #17
adman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
That's why I installed the Valterra waste valve. It works great with no surprises when I remove the cap to attach the hose.
I'm all for no surprises from the black tank!
Old 08-14-2021, 02:59 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I went back and attempted to label the pics. The third pic down shows the mystery valve handle (in open position). And there's a label on the outside of the RV just about where that handle is located that says "grey tank."

I suppose I should close it for the reasons you mentioned. But, it seems that it must drain through the second grey tank (the one accessed in the main control center) since I've never touched the mystery handle and haven't had a flood in the RV...yet.

You wouldn't have a flood, the valve is open so any time you are using the galley sink the water going into the drain is dropping into the gray tank and sloowwwly working its way across the tank, out that open valve and then crawling down the drain pipe and out your sewer hose.......leaving every bit and particle of "stuff" stuck on the bottom of the tank and in the hose. It will never fill/back up OR show full on your monitor (if you use it).
Old 08-14-2021, 03:12 PM   #19
adman02

Quote:
You wouldn't have a flood, the valve is open so any time you are using the galley sink the water going into the drain is dropping into the gray tank and sloowwwly working its way across the tank, out that open valve and then crawling down the drain pipe and out your sewer hose.......leaving every bit and particle of "stuff" stuck on the bottom of the tank and in the hose. It will never fill/back up OR show full on your monitor (if you use it).
Just to clarify - I do keep the grey tank valve in the main center closed and only open it when the tank is full. Sounds like I need to experiment with the mystery handle a bit to see what happens when it's closed an opened.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Close it and the galley tank will fill and the monitor will then show the 2nd gray tank filling (if the monitor works). If the monitor doesn't work the sink won't drain and will hold water when the tank is full, then just pull the handle to drain.

I leave all mine closed. My bathroom gray tank is the first to fill and the black tank will be right close. When it's time to dump the bath gray (don't use monitor just know by usage) I dump the black (it will be burping by then), then the galley then the bath gray tank. Run black tank flush and clean 'er up.

Tags
tank