Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
adman02

Pinched Propane Supply Line

Hi. New to the forum.

I recently purchased a 2019 Cougar 32DBHS. I'm the second owner and I'm trying straighten a few things out from either the PO or the factory.

The first item on the list is a propane supply line on the kitchen slide that pinches when I put the slide in. When this happens, I can't run the fridge on gas.

I have a temporary fix - I zip-tied a piece of wood to the hose to act as a "splint" for the hose - but it seems like there should be a better/more permanent solution.

I ordered a Lippert Flexguard, but that won't work - there's no vertical mounting surface on the slide except the external skin (!) and the Flexguard looks like it will hit the trailer tire when it folds in (and can't make it fold forward).

Has anyone run in to this before? Any viable solutions to consider?

Pics...
•*top pic - the slide end of the gas line with the slide open; orientation - front of slide looking aft
•*middle pic - the frame end of the gas line with the slide open; the gas line runs under the RV perpendicularly - from driver's side to passenger side
•*bottom pic - slide end of the gas line with the slide closed (looking up from the ground); before my redneck fix, the hose would kink where brass and rubber line meet since it was zip tied to the other wires/cables
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5982.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	35253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5983.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	35254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5984.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	35255  
adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, if you've ever bent a piece of wire repeatedly, you know that every bend weakens the wire and eventually it will break. The same happens with the "gas tubing inside the outer braid"... Without knowing how many times the previous owner operated his slide, how many times that gas hose was bent, the first thing I'd do is replace the hose. You might consider a "spring tubing bender" as a sheath to run it through to prevent it from buckling at the stress point.

I'd "for sure" be replacing the hose before it becomes an explosion hazard under your trailer, miles from the nearest fire department or emergency response center....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #3
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman02 View Post
Hi. New to the forum.

I recently purchased a 2019 Cougar 32DBHS. I'm the second owner and I'm trying straighten a few things out from either the PO or the factory.

The first item on the list is a propane supply line on the kitchen slide that pinches when I put the slide in. When this happens, I can't run the fridge on gas.

I have a temporary fix - I zip-tied a piece of wood to the hose to act as a "splint" for the hose - but it seems like there should be a better/more permanent solution.

I ordered a Lippert Flexguard, but that won't work - there's no vertical mounting surface on the slide except the external skin (!) and the Flexguard looks like it will hit the trailer tire when it folds in (and can't make it fold forward).

Has anyone run in to this before? Any viable solutions to consider?

I can't tell from the pictures if this will help. This item is a Pex 90-degree bend support. Maybe it will do something for you...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-1...ND12/301541126
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
adman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd "for sure" be replacing the hose before it becomes an explosion hazard under your trailer, miles from the nearest fire department or emergency response center....
Yep. I ordered a replacement hose and went to install it today only to realize I'd gotten the wrong size - I bought a 5' supply line with 3/8" female fittings on both ends, but it was too small. I guess I need to try 1/2"
Old 08-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #5
adman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I can't tell from the pictures if this will help. This item is a Pex 90-degree bend support. Maybe it will do something for you...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-1...ND12/301541126
Will definitely check that out. It seems like the hose needs a big spring coiled around one end to help limit the bend/flex.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
adman02

One other question... Any idea where I can find 5 feet of LP supply line with 1/2" female fittings on each end?
Old 08-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
One other question... Any idea where I can find 5 feet of LP supply line with 1/2" female fittings on each end?
Your local LP distributor should have what you want or can make up whatever you need.
Since you already have the original removed take it with you so they can match the ends correctly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Thank off the existing hose and take it to you local propane distributor, the one with a huge tank and shop. They will be able to make you a custom hose with the correct connectors.
The other thing I would change is turn the fitting on the outside so the hose starts parallel to the wall the one on the frame end should be parallel to the frame, this may require a longer hose.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #9
adman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The other thing I would change is turn the fitting on the outside so the hose starts parallel to the wall the one on the frame end should be parallel to the frame, this may require a longer hose.
I wondered if turning that 90 fitting would help. And there's currently no turn or fitting on the frame side - it simply comes out perpendicular to the frame. Currently the hose is 5 feet long and doesn't fully extend when the slide is out; it's looped and fastened to the underside of the RV...not sure why they needed all the extra line.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
I wondered if turning that 90 fitting would help. And there's currently no turn or fitting on the frame side - it simply comes out perpendicular to the frame. Currently the hose is 5 feet long and doesn't fully extend when the slide is out; it's looped and fastened to the underside of the RV...not sure why they needed all the extra line.
I would get both parallel then a nice loop of hose with a snug fitting spring over it to keep from kinking.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #11
GaryUT

Unfortunately its a very common problem. My dealers "fix" was to space the cable ties on the spring so that the wires and hose bunched up under the slide instead of getting pinched between the slide and frame. I have linked a thread from a few weeks ago that I posted some pictures in.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=48020

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane