Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
Khepri

How do I bypass converter?

How do I turn off the converter in a 2006 Cougar 5th wheel EFS 281? I’m using solar to charge the batteries and just installed an inverter.
Khepri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
Canonman

Not sure why you'd need to "bypass" the converter?
Are you planning to run everything from the inverter? If so, you'd be looking at installing a by-pass switch to power all your 110vac accessories.
What is your inverter wired to now?
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
Khepri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Not sure why you'd need to "bypass" the converter?
Are you planning to run everything from the inverter? If so, you'd be looking at installing a by-pass switch to power all your 110vac accessories.
What is your inverter wired to now?
Solar powered batteries.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #4
GHen

How do I bypass converter?

The converter and the solar will charge the batteries simultaneously, you only will reduce your charging by bypassing the converter. They work together very seamlessly.

That said, there should be a 110v breaker that will turn off just the converter. This will also force all your 12v stuff to put more strain on the batteries when you’re plugged into shore power.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
Canonman

OK, you have solar powered batteries. I guess mine are solar powered too when I hook the solar up to them.
The batteries power the inverter in my set up and the inverter powers the TV. That's all I have the inverter installed for. I also use the inverter's USB face plate ports to charge the phones and laptop.
Assuming your batteries are connected to the input side of the inverter, what is connected to the output side?
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khepri View Post
How do I turn off the converter in a 2006 Cougar 5th wheel EFS 281? I’m using solar to charge the batteries and just installed an inverter.
If your converter is a stand alone, look for the breaker that says converter, if it’s integrated in the power distribution center, look for the black lead to a breaker and remove it. If the converter is integrated, it usually shares a breaker so you can’t just flip the breaker.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:16 AM   #7
Khepri

Got it

We must’ve found the right switch in the fuse box last night. The inverter’s alarm hasn’t gone off.

Thank you everyone! You’ve been very helpful.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #8
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
The converter and the solar will charge the batteries simultaneously, you only will reduce your charging by bypassing the converter. They work together very seamlessly.

That said, there should be a 110v breaker that will turn off just the converter. This will also force all your 12v stuff to put more strain on the batteries when you’re plugged into shore power.
I have been unplugging my solar panels from the charge controller when connected to shore power. I was concerned that having converter and solar charging batteries simultaneously could over charge. From what you said, it won't hurt anything leaving both charging systems running at the same time? How is that possible?
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
Stircrazy

the other way is to put in a auto change over switch so your inverter powers the whole trailer. if wired properly it should automaticly turn off your converter when it is switched over to inverter supply.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #10
GHen

In my case and I just have the stock converter, the converter takes the batteries to 80-90%, then the solar takes them to 100% and shuts down and maintains.

I have had 300 watts of solar for the last three years, works flawlessly and batteries seldom need water meaning they are not being overcharged.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #11
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I have been unplugging my solar panels from the charge controller when connected to shore power. I was concerned that having converter and solar charging batteries simultaneously could over charge. From what you said, it won't hurt anything leaving both charging systems running at the same time? How is that possible?

It wont hurt anything to have the solar charging along with the converter. They both stop charging when the batteries are charged.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #12
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUT View Post
It wont hurt anything to have the solar charging along with the converter. They both stop charging when the batteries are charged.

Gary
Gary: thanks for clearing up my uncertainty.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #13
Cimriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Both your solar battery charger and the converter use the battery voltage to determine how much charging voltage to apply to the battery bank. They both work independently and won't overcharge the battery/batteries. You can leave both running together.
Cimriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:35 AM   #14
Fishsizzle

???? I guess I’m confused. The wires from my converter to the batteries also are used to feed the batteries back to the 12v fuse distribution panel to power all the 12v (lights). I believe anyway.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #15
Cimriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
???? I guess I’m confused. The wires from my converter to the batteries also are used to feed the batteries back to the 12v fuse distribution panel to power all the 12v (lights). I believe anyway.
Yes that is correct. The wiring that charges the batteries from the converter also provides the batteries 12vdc to run the lights, etc when you are not connected to shore power.
Cimriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #16
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimriver View Post
Yes that is correct. The wiring that charges the batteries from the converter also provides the batteries 12vdc to run the lights, etc when you are not connected to shore power.
Ok, I guess I’m missing what the OP was trying to accomplish.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:48 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimriver View Post
Both your solar battery charger and the converter use the battery voltage to determine how much charging voltage to apply to the battery bank. They both work independently and won't overcharge the battery/batteries. You can leave both running together.
They won't "overcharge the battery" but if Hblick48 has a WFCO converter/charger, it senses "voltage on the line" to determine charging status, so if the battery output is 11.3 VDC (90% discharged) and the solar controller (on even a 10 watt solar panel) is producing 13.6 VDC, the WFCO will "sense the 13.6 volts and will not "turn on the charger to charge the battery"...

In other words, "dual charging with a WFCO will shut down the WFCO when the other charger output is sensed by the WFCO monitoring system. That system is designed to prevent "overcharging the battery" when its output is "fully charged"....

With "manual, always charging at full capacity" chargers, you can "use both to increase the charge amps. With automatic (voltage sensing chargers) any voltage on the line is sensed and the charger output is regulated based on that "line voltage"......

In short, if the solar system puts 13.6 VDC on the battery terminals, it'll shut down the WFCO. Depending on the solar controller, if the WFCO puts 13.6 VDC on the battery terminals, it'll shut down the solar system charging....

It really gets "complicated" when both sense the other's voltage and both shut down....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter