Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
Steveo10

Front fading/chipping on 5th wheel.

The finishing is coming off a 2014 cougar on the very front. Is there anyway to stop it from chipping. It’s getting close to the cougar symbol.

Sorry I can’t upload a picture. Thx, Steve
Steveo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Steve, fading or chipping or both?? Fading was an issue in 2014 due to the materials used to fabricate the front caps - they repainted mine with automotive paint and clear coated it. The only chips I had were from stones. I believe other members have taken different routes to repair their front caps so will let them chime in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:23 PM   #3
Steveo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Steve, fading or chipping or both?? Fading was an issue in 2014 due to the materials used to fabricate the front caps - they repainted mine with automotive paint and clear coated it. The only chips I had were from stones. I believe other members have taken different routes to repair their front caps so will let them chime in.

Mine is fading/flaking. Sounds like there isn’t a cheap fix to this. My automotive guy said, try to find a cheaper fix before he got ahold of it
Steveo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:26 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo10 View Post
Mine is fading/flaking. Sounds like there isn’t a cheap fix to this. My automotive guy said, try to find a cheaper fix before he got ahold of it
The "cheapest fix" is for you to fix it, no matter the project. Trust me, if there was a short cut, a "body shop in a can" or some other "remedy" that would make it look new again and last, the body shop would be using that method. A body shop will or should make it look new again, or if painted make it match the rest of the paint sothe repair is undetectable. Customers will accept nothing less for the money they are spending. If you are willing to accept less than that quality work then you need to define what is accecptable. Since that is not a definitive standard it's near impossible to meet that expectation.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:43 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo10 View Post
I'm still not clear on what deterioration you're having..

Is the clearcoat OVER the fiberglass "fading/flaking??
Is the fiberglass UNDER the clearcoat "fading/flaking?"
Is the problem the decals are "fading/flaking?"
Is the underlying layer of fiberglass "fading/flaking?"

Is this a structural issue, a cosmetic issue or both?

Your "automotive guy" is likely "fully equipped to work on Corvette fiberglass" but may/may not be the best person to take on an RV front cap. Have you attempted to find a marine fiberglass repair facility? Often they are much better equipped to deal with making a fiberglass surface look new again while also maintaining a "lasting structural strength"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:53 AM   #6
jasin1

Not sure how much this would be but looks like it could work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7068ED3-55D3-442F-B0B8-DD4DDB3946B7.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	33583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCF83C7A-C0F0-4730-90D4-16A8F147816D.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	33584   Click image for larger version

Name:	7C70108F-89A0-4649-A84C-359558652E44.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	33585  
Old 05-16-2021, 05:59 AM   #7
dutchmensport

On our Keystone Outback, the front cap started fading after one year. Just out of the one year warranty. I debated the issue with my dealership, who went to bat for us and Keystone agreed to do a repaint. But, because the graphics were not damaged, they did not fall under warranty. I had to pay for new graphic replacement, but Keystone covered the cost for the repaint.

Repainting and new gelcoat is the only true answer. Don't spend your money on anything less, you'll just be wasting your money, and still have to do it again, and maybe again, and again.

Ours was taken to an automotive shop that had a speciality repainting RV. They did a fantastic job on the front cap, looked BETTER than when it was new, and it retained it's luster and shine until we traded for our current fifth wheel.

Again, you can try buffing, shining, different treatments, coating, pampering, and even changing diapers, but lipstick on a pig doesn't change the pig. It just makes the pig look ridiculous. It's not cheap, so you have to weigh the issue, is it worth it to you for the length of time you plan on keeping the camp[er? Repainting will add absolutely no value to the resale. Nada!

Tags
5th wheel