Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2020, 12:28 AM   #1
rvwonderful

Why are heat vents(registers) on floor? what to do if water gets into the vents?

All the floorplans of keystone that I have seen have heat vents on the floor including kitchen and bathroom. Water and dust can easily get into these vents on floor. What to do if water and dust get into these vents?

Why not put these vents on the wall like some other manufactures do? Thanks.
rvwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:54 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvwonderful View Post
All the floorplans of keystone that I have seen have heat vents on the floor including kitchen and bathroom. Water and dust can easily get into these vents on floor. What to do if water and dust get into these vents?

Why not put these vents on the wall like some other manufactures do? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

What RV manufacturer installs wall registers? Every camping trailer that I'm aware of runs the heat ducting under the floor with floor registers. The vast number of stick and brick houses built in the last 50 years are built this way.

The walls of an RV are too thin to run air ducts in and it would be cost prohibitive. Besides that, there typically isn't enough wall space that isn't covered with a cabinet or piece of furniture.

As for dust and water well no more than in a house. Just how much water do you anticipate getting into the floor register?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:18 AM   #3
DocP

Several of the Forest River lines (e.g., Cherokee Alpha Wolf and Palomino Solaire) run their heating vents through the wall, or through things like a kitchen island or cabinet front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent 3.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	30260   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent 2.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	30261   Click image for larger version

Name:	vent 1.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	30262  
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:28 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

While there may be a register/vent on a wall, that wall will only be an interior wall. Ductwork is mostly under the floor, or along the floor in a cabinet space. Some of the ducting goes in the underbelly to heat that area.

OP: a simple removal of the register will allow cleaning. If the water is clean, it won’t hurt anything, if dirty simply remove the register and clean/dry it out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:12 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum.

What RV manufacturer installs wall registers? Every camping trailer that I'm aware of runs the heat ducting under the floor with floor registers. The vast number of stick and brick houses built in the last 50 years are built this way.

The walls of an RV are too thin to run air ducts in and it would be cost prohibitive. Besides that, there typically isn't enough wall space that isn't covered with a cabinet or piece of furniture.

As for dust and water well no more than in a house. Just how much water do you anticipate getting into the floor register?
Grand Design Solitude line has wall or under cabinet registers. My biggest issue with floor registers, is getting a vent cover strong enough that it doesn;t bend when stepped on.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:17 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Grand Design Solitude line has wall or under cabinet registers. My biggest issue with floor registers, is getting a vent cover strong enough that it doesn;t bend when stepped on.
Most OEM floor registers are minimal at best. I just replaced mine with some Home Depot off the shelf units. Mine are standard size.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I've never liked the wall registers. Like the first picture shows, instead of placing a drawer etc. for usable space they forego that to put in a register...I would rather have the storage. I've looked in some that have a heat a slinky heat hose just running across the inside of a cabinet - I don't like that. Then, if for some reason someone drops something into that elevated vent it drops straight down to ???? Then you have to figure out how to get to it. With my floor vents I see straight into it and if required I can run something from one vent to the other under the floor. Had to do that just this summer when the black tank ran over and got into the floor vents. Pretty easy job to clean, wash and dry those duct runs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Our floor registers get crud in them and I remove the registers now and again and clean them with a powerful hand vac. If they ran under the floor and snuck them out of a cabinet, I suspect there would be little storage in said cabinets. I would have room for a register under my entertainment center as when the panel is removed, there is a large void; same with under a step up into the bedroom area of my fiver but not a great idea in the kitchen area. I have also seen this type register from under a couch I think (I am fairly sure?) and this means never changing out the couch I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #9
Ribtip

Ease of build. Thats it. Easy and cheap
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Our manufactured-home guest house had that problem. Aside from normal wear, one of the heat registers was located right where a dining chair leg usually got placed while in use. I had excellent results with these steel registers. Within the first year of owning my rig, after I had pretty thoroughly crushed the register at the bathroom door threshold and the one in the walkway in front of the TV, I ordered more of the same and have been extremely happy with them. Bonus, I discovered the "spongy feel" in the bathroom had been entirely due to the register, not the floor.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #11
QCMan
Gone Traveling

We bought magnetic sheets and painted them to match the vent color. We need the covers to keep the dog hair out when the heat is not being used. Did not paint to match the floor so they still stand out as a place to avoid stepping. Some of the nicer ones that I have seen are aluminum and they don't hold magnets very well.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
We need the covers to keep the dog hair out when the heat is not being used.
DW's approach to this is very basic: lift register, position industrial pantyhose, turn furnace on.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #13
rvwonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've never liked the wall registers. Like the first picture shows, instead of placing a drawer etc. for usable space they forego that to put in a register...I would rather have the storage. I've looked in some that have a heat a slinky heat hose just running across the inside of a cabinet - I don't like that. Then, if for some reason someone drops something into that elevated vent it drops straight down to ???? Then you have to figure out how to get to it. With my floor vents I see straight into it and if required I can run something from one vent to the other under the floor. Had to do that just this summer when the black tank ran over and got into the floor vents. Pretty easy job to clean, wash and dry those duct runs.
can water and dust run deep through ducts into the furnace, and damage the furnace? if heat ducts can be washed and cleaned by running soap water through (water in and out), that would be nice.
rvwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
can water and dust run deep through ducts into the furnace, and damage the furnace? if heat ducts can be washed and cleaned by running soap water through (water in and out), that would be nice.
The furnace is physically higher than the duct work. Furnace mounts on top of the floor and the ductwork funds under the floor. That being said, no one's talking about running a garden goes thru it. A damp rag on a long stick, not "spraying it with water".
Old 10-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
My furnace is under the fridge, at floor level. The ducts are under the floor., and all the airflow goes away from the furnace. The air intake under the fridge door is a possible risk, the ducting really isn't.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
DW's approach to this is very basic: lift register, position industrial pantyhose, turn furnace on.

My wife told me pantyhose were no longer sold in Texas.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
The furnace is physically higher than the duct work. Furnace mounts on top of the floor and the ductwork funds under the floor. That being said, no one's talking about running a garden goes thru it. A damp rag on a long stick, not "spraying it with water".

How would you get a long stick in a duct? They are only a couple inches deep and not wide enough. Would poking a stick back into the ductwork damage it?
Old 10-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
How would you get a long stick in a duct? They are only a couple inches deep and not wide enough. Would poking a stick back into the ductwork damage it?
I wasn't talking about a tree branch. Have you ever seen the fiberglass wire running kits at Harbor Freight? Or the dryer cleaning brushes for removing lint from a dryer?
Old 10-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I wasn't talking about a tree branch. Have you ever seen the fiberglass wire running kits at Harbor Freight? Or the dryer cleaning brushes for removing lint from a dryer?

No. Our dryer vent is hard piped to an outside vent and is about 6" long if memory serves. I take the slats off the vent if it needs cleaning and stick my hand in. Not sure about the fiberglass wire running kits; are these for fishing wires through? Sort of like rifle cleaning rods only more flexy I would guess? The only wires I have run are in new construction (wired four buildings on my property).
Old 10-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
No. Our dryer vent is hard piped to an outside vent and is about 6" long if memory serves. I take the slats off the vent if it needs cleaning and stick my hand in. Not sure about the fiberglass wire running kits; are these for fishing wires through? Sort of like rifle cleaning rods only more flexy I would guess? The only wires I have run are in new construction (wired four buildings on my property).
Yes they are I think 3/16" Dia. Fiberglass rods that screw together. H F sells a kit and I know Amazon sells a similar kit with a round nylon brush for cleaning B vent on pellet stoves. Had one years ago before I got rid of my pellet stove.

Tags
floor, heat, vent, water