Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
huronbay

AC

My wife tried to run the 30 amp air conditioner in our trailer plugged into 20 amp standard house receptacle. It ran for about 30 min. before I caught it and turned it off. I was wondering if it did any damage. Any idea?
huronbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
Roscommon48

no. life goes on. with refrig on gas, no microwave and maybe no ele. w/h you can do it.
check the plug in end to see if there is any melting however.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Frank G

For a few bucks you can get a power monitor with auto shut-off that will protect your trailer from almost every conceivable electrical abnormality except a direct lightning hit. The link below is just one, and there are versions that are permanently installed in your unit. They come in either 30 or 50 amp versions.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo/
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
travelin texans

There are several brands of surge protector/EMS systems, be sure it's an EMS not just surge protector, either portable or hardwired, choose the one you want & use it EVERY time you connect to shore power.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Don't know where Aura is or if there are electrical codes enforced there. I suggest if you can wire a real 30A outlet to where you can connect your camper without fuss, you should do so. I have two of these located on different areas of my property I did myself. Always make sure this type install is to code as a fire could result in the blame being placed on you if they are not installed correctly to code. If you do have codes and aren't up to it, have a pro do it. If you are serious about staying in the camping game, perhaps pay an electrician.

As noted, get an EMS. I have a Progressive that my camper is hooked through while on the property. There are other makers but get an ELECTRICAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM and not a surge protector. I am not sure if an EMS would really work well on 20A power but I am sure someone can chime in that has tried it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:16 PM   #6
Northofu1

When I had my Bullet Premier I ran the 13k a/c unit on a 15 amp receptacle, no problem, as long as I ran nothing else other than a couple of lights to work by.
The new 5er has a 15 k a/c and it pulls 16 amps, will kick off within a few minutes.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #7
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huronbay View Post
My wife tried to run the 30 amp air conditioner in our trailer plugged into 20 amp standard house receptacle. It ran for about 30 min. before I caught it and turned it off. I was wondering if it did any damage. Any idea?
No worries, run away. The worst thing that will happen is the 20a breaker trips.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
No worries, run away. The worst thing that will happen is the 20a breaker trips.

Or you can have a significant voltage drop and burn up the compressor in the A/C...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote