Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Boss

Furnace not working

Our furnace quit working one night for no reason. Propane is full and there is sufficient supply to the trailer fridge works fine on propane and the stove and oven are all good. When one goes to turn on the furnace you hear it start, blow cold air and run for about 30 seconds then shuts off. The furnace never lights.
Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

My listed trailer did same thing, I spend an hour or more checking everything without removing it. It was still under warranty, so they pulled the unit out and after testing the mother board found it was shot. That has been a common item to go bad. To test that part you need to remove the unit. Could be something as simple as igniter, that's also inside the unit. So if your going to fix it, likely next step is removal. Make sure the wall thermostat is functioning and set properly.
It would help if you list the furnace make and model.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Boss

Do you know how to access the furnace for removal or to work on. The trailer is still under warranty but would like to try fix without going back to the dealer. Camping this weekend and it may be cool. I have a baby and a toddler and a concerned wife.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Boss

The trailer is a 2018 Fuzion 427 I believe the furnace is a Dometic.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If I were you, I wouldn't try to pull the furnace and "check things out". If you do, you may find the dealership will claim that you voided the furnace warranty and they can become expensive. A replacement will run nearly $500 and paying the labor for the dealer to troubleshoot and install a new control board will probably be very close to the same $500.

If you're going to be connected to shore power, I'd suggest you just use an electric space heater for this weekend, leave the furnace "intact" and not risk the argument and frustration of the dealership wanting you to pay (consumer prices) to repair it rather than having to accept warranty labor rates (from the furnace manufacturer)... They stand to make double or more profit by charging you for the repair...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
Boss

You make a valid point but we don’t camp with shore power very often or if at all. I thought if was something easy I could fix it. Going back to our purchasing dealer is a 3hr trip one way.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Could be simple, could get complicated. Has the trailer been stored where mud dawbers or paper wasps are common?

When you turn the thermostat on and ask for heat, go out the furnace exhaust and see if you smell LP. DONT put your nose near the exhaust in case it lights. If you don’t smell gas, does the igniter “click”? If so then the gas valve might be stuck, or the control board may have failed.

There is a sequence of events that take place before the furnace lights and heats. Often times testing requires removal, and cutting the wires to “bench test”. I understand your frustration, but you might void your warranty like John said. There may be an independent shop that can do warranty work on your brand of furnace.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
Boss

No it wasn’t stored anywhere the furnace worked fine the first two trips and up until day 7 of the of our previous trip beginning end of July. Wouldn’t work out for us the last 14 day trip but really wasn’t bad because the weather was a lot warmer unfortunately our seasons up here are changing already. I will go out and check for the smell of propane and the clicking and get back to you.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #9
B-O-B'03

Man, I want to be where you are... it is 100 here, during the day and I can only dream of being someplace that requires the furnace

-Brian
Old 08-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #10
Boss

So there is no clicking or gas smell after the pre warm up stage. Furnace seems to be in a nasty spot behind the kitchen drawers and sink. I’m not exactly sure where the board is located or how to get at it the easiest way.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #11
Boss

I also found the reset switch; reset it no change.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:36 AM   #12
Northofu1

Same thing happened to me, of course mine is not under warranty, so I took it out and disassembled fan assembly and found a small piece of insulation preventing the sail switch from fully opening. I had already ordered one as they can fail and are cheap. Reassembled and replaced, tested, has been fine.
I now carry a couple of micro ceramic heaters with me in case.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:40 AM   #13
Stircrazy

might be stupid, but depending on which controller you have (thermostat) is it on the right setting. mine if the fan is set one anything but auto and I go to heat it will do just what your describing.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:56 AM   #14
jim1

2019 Cougar 315 rls. Furnace did the same thing it would start up but not light. I removed the outside cover and toggled the on/off switch a few times and it would finally light but the next night it would do the same thing. Real annoying at 03:00 am. Of course dealer could not find anything wrong. I did some checking and found out they have crappy sail switches. I somehow convinced the dealer to replace it and it works just fine now.(knock on wood) Good luck
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #15
jsmith948

The circuit board, sail switch and limit switch are all located on the same end of the furnace as the exhaust. If you don't have an exterior access panel (such as on a class c), you will have to disconnect the power and gas and physically remove the furnace.
I agree with Chuckster in that you may void your warranty if you attempt to repair it yourself. On the other hand, if you are handy with tools, you can do the repairs yourself. I had to partially dis-assemble the DW's pantry (the furnace is under the bottom shelf) but the unit was actually easy to remove.
I tested the continuity across the sail and limit switch and then ordered a Dinosaur circuit board.
BTW, there are several U-tube videos about repairing the furnace. Ours is an Atwood. I have read that these OEM circuit boards are prone to failure.
Good luck

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Man, I want to be where you are... it is 100 here, during the day and I can only dream of being someplace that requires the furnace

-Brian
Central Arizona at 9:25am it's 103 with 35% humidity, high for here, feels like 107.
The good thing is we very rarely need the furnace all winter!
You might call the manufacturer of the furnace to troubleshoot & with the warranty on the appliance they might send a mobile tech to you. That be beneficial in 2 ways, you won't void your warranty, but get it fixed on their dime & you don't have leave your RV at the dealer forever for them to diagnose the problem.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #17
travelin texans

You have to realize there's an 8.0 earthquake going on with that thing every time you haul it to your favorite camping spot, things will break &/or come loose. Some is definitely poor QC, the rest is just getting the crap shaken out if.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
Boss

Yeah I get that!
Old 08-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #19
Rinsrig

Be advised, if you remove the furnace while it is under warranty, you will void the warranty and you will have to pay for the repairs out of your pocket.
Rinsrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #20
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Our furnace quit working one night for no reason. Propane is full and there is sufficient supply to the trailer fridge works fine on propane and the stove and oven are all good. When one goes to turn on the furnace you hear it start, blow cold air and run for about 30 seconds then shuts off. The furnace never lights.
Mine does that too when it's cold, it works fine now. We get it to fire by banging on the sidewall near the furnace or gently tapping with the head of a screwdriver near the gas valve. I think my problem is oil in the gas line that they didn't properly purge. I am out of warranty and am cheap so I won't take it in or have a mobile tech as long as I can get it to go by the aforementioned tricks. For us it's only a few dozen times a season so no biggy.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace