Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2016, 04:08 AM   #1
Dave W

2nd a/c + Nice to have good neighbors

Yesterday was the day I finally put the second a/c on the roof. I asked the neighbor if he could help me haul that 90 pound lump the 12-13 feet up there and help center it on the hole left from the retired vent. He came over after work, latched on and dragged it up my well inclined ladder with almost no effort. My job - when all said was to help him the final foot or so. Of course he is about 6'6", former college football player and a coach at the local high school - and worse, half my age. Oh and he competes at the local Scottish Games, tossing the caber (a 19'6", 175 pound former tree)

About the worst part so far with this project was removing that vent assembly and digging up the sealer without tearing the rubber roofing. It seems that Keystone Plant 17 had an over abundance of that goo and felt that it needed to be put around that vent. Today - finish up the inside, including installing the heating element.

When this is all done, hopefully I'll have a very happy wife
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Congratulations on getting it up there and almost installed!! I think you are going to enjoy having it.

I guess as you get older you have those moments as you did working with your neighbor. Instead of being the guy running to help and lugging the abc for the guy next door, the neighbor is now in that role; and I'm the guy sitting there thinking "when did 100 lbs start feeling THIS heavy"
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
Dave W

Just a little more on that installation.

After once getting the a/c on the roof and located directly (centered) over the hole, it was time to pull the 110VAC wiring over to the unit in anticipation of installing the Dometic ceiling kit. Since ours was prewired, I did need to make sure that Keystone supplied the correct 20 amp breaker and actually put power to that box - they did. The box that was supplied, for no better term, was junk (cracked) and was not even fastened on one end. A trip the local Home Depot for an old work box, the larger of the two sizes, a 20 amp receptacle and a cover. That receptacle was used instead of wire nuts and IMO, a lot more substantial connection in an RV. I used a 2 foot piece of 12awg to continue the line to the a/c ceiling kit - where I did have to wire nut to that connector set.

The ceiling kit is pretty easy to install as the inner pan and 4 bolts pull the a/c down on the supplied gasket. It is supposed to be torqued to 50 in lbs but I had to do a bit more for complete comfort level and enough gasket compression. You do need an extra pair of hands for a few minutes installing the pan. The a/c plugs into a 6 pin connector.

I also added the 5600 Btu heat strip which plugs into a 4 pin connector. Unfortunately the instructions with this strip are pretty generic and the base pan is not pre drilled but they do have a drawing of about where it goes plus the hookup cable is only a certain length so that was my guide for this.

Finishing up - the cover is screwed in a couple places to the base pan and additional screws just fasten to the ceiling.

Plugged the trailer back in (yes, for safety's sake, all 110VAC power is disconnected) flipped the breaker, turned the knobs and voila - the fan worked. Since we are only hooked to 15 amps at home couldn't try the a/c or heat but this past weekend found it blew a wealth of well cooled air and found that the heat strip would pump some Btus.

This is my parts list:
- Dometic 640315CXX1C0 Penguin II Polar White Low Profile Rooftop Air Conditioner

- Dometic Brisk Air II Non Ducted Ceiling Kit 3314851.000

- Dometic 3101121.030 Brisk Air Accessories Heat Kit

- Deep old work box

- 20 amp receptacle

- 2 feet 12 Awg romex

Total cost to me - about $740 - $750

The first three items were from AMAZON (the a/c is a LOT more expensive at this writing - about $175 with the other two, about the same as I paid)

Not a difficult project but it will take you 3-4 hours plus you will need another strong back and a pair of hands for a part of the project. Any moderately skilled DIYer with a very few tools can do this project. And before you ask, no, I did not take any photos during the mod but will try to take a few of the finished job this coming weekend
Old 07-01-2016, 05:41 AM   #4
canesfan

I'm getting ready to do this. Thanks for the detailed info, pictures would have been great. Question, I'm not following, what did you plug into the 20 amp receptacle? I wouldn't think the AC would come with a 20 amp plug on it, or does it? So that's where I'm confused.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #5
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I'm getting ready to do this. Thanks for the detailed info, pictures would have been great. Question, I'm not following, what did you plug into the 20 amp receptacle? I wouldn't think the AC would come with a 20 amp plug on it, or does it? So that's where I'm confused.

Sorry about no photos. I usually photo document projects like this but with sweat running in unspeakable places here...................

I used the 20 amp receptacle as a buss bar for an easy explanation instead of wire nuts which I detest in an RV. One side is from the power source, the other side goes to the a/c through the rafters on a short piece of 12-2 AWG Romex. I now have a ceiling plug for whatever I need it for and the capability to run almost anything I would ever want to plug in there. The wife has already used it for her vacuum as it's the most handy to reach. If you go that way, make sure it IS a 20 amp as homes are usually 15 and that is a different receptacle