Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
Mountain Mark

Battery Power

We have a 2004 Everest 32 PRK purchased in 2013. There was a brand new deep cycle marine battery installed when we purchased it. I used that battery once to open the slides and to drop the front landing gear last year in April then I disconnected the neg. side of the battery. We live full time in this RV. This spring I reconnected the battery approx. 2 weeks before I activated the slides. I moved the slides (three slides) in and out twice, and during the slide process it would cut out for a few moments and then come back on to continue the slide. First question, IS THAT NORMAL? Two days after I did this I wondered what would happen if I unplugged the shore power and then checked the monitor. Nothing, no power of any type, none of the 12 V. lights work, the monitor doesn't work, nothing. Second question, should I expect that being plugged into shore power will recharge this battery or should I remove it and place it on a slow charger?

Thanks for your advice/answers!
Mark
Mountain Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Mark View Post
First question, IS THAT NORMAL? Two days after I did this I wondered what would happen if I unplugged the shore power and then checked the monitor. Nothing, no power of any type, none of the 12 V. lights work, the monitor doesn't work, nothing. Second question, should I expect that being plugged into shore power will recharge this battery or should I remove it and place it on a slow charger?

Thanks for your advice/answers!
Mark
When you are plugged into shore power, the converter will be charging the battery; and, depending upon its charge state, it will either be a trickle/float charge or one of two other higher charging modes. I'd leave the battery in and use the RV's converter to charge it. If it doesn't, then you might have an issue with your converter but if you put a tester to it (and know what you are doing!) you might be able to determine if it is putting out a charge.

The slides should move smoothly and without interruption - they shouldn't stop for a while then start again so, no, that is not normal.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Mark, First of all check the electrolyte level in the battery and top off with distiled water if needed. If your converter is working properly there is no need to disconnect the battery. The converter will keep it fully charged and not over-charge.
The motor for your sides is protected with an auto-reset breaker that will trip and than reset if the motor is drawing too much amperage. Low voltage from a discharged battery will cause the higher amp draw thus the trip and reset. (start and stop of slides) If the battery was left uncharged and exposed to freezing temps it may no longer be any good and should be tested under a load. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. You may also have a blown fuse not allowing your battery to charge.
Hope this helps. Good luck, Hank
The start and stop of the slides is not normal but it is common on hydraulic systems with multiple slides. This has been discussed before and solutions should show up if you search the forum for them
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
Mountain Mark

Festus and Hank thank you. I'll check and see what I can find out from the information you have given me.
Mountain Mark is offline   Reply With Quote