Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Dmckinney33

Recommend LED lights

Looking into getting some led lights to replace all the ones in my camper. Anyone have any good recomendations? I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money, but I do need 16 of them. Thanks-
Dmckinney33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "sticky" in the Modifications and Upgrades section. It has a significant amount of information on LED's and which are closest to incandescent lights, how to tell the difference and what to expect. If you do elect to buy from EBay, there are a number of vendors in China that do provide a quality product for a very inexpensive price. I would recommend with what you've indicated you're looking for that you avoid the expensive "repackaged" LED's sold by RV dealerships. For the cost of one or two from that kind of dealership, you can buy lights for your entire RV.

Do a forum search using LED or LED Replacement and you'll get more than enough information to make good choices.

Here's the URL for the sticky: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9947

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
tmpaes

I've had good luck buying from Ebay seller; 2011_led. Prices are very good and the quality as well

tmpaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:50 AM   #4
unyalli

I have 14 of these installed.

http://www.m4products.com/921-24-505...th-wedge-base/

I made a mistake on my previous RV and installed the economy version not realizing they were only 150 lumens of brightness. These are 360 and put out the same light at the stock bulbs. These are the bright white version we both like but they have a soft white as well.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

unyalli,

It's great that you're satisfied with the LED light assemblies you've installed in your RV. I followed the link you supplied and from the information I got there, the company you ordered from is in Calabasas, CA. The cost of each LED assembly was $10. So 14 of them would have been $140.

As a comparison, similar LED assemblies through EBay, ordered from a competitive company (also in California) are listed at 2 for $5.59. At that price, 14 would cost $39.13. Incidentially, another company lists the same item in another EBay site for $6.99 each. There are some EBay sellers located overseas that sell the same LED assembly for $2.99 with free shipping.

Here's the link to the California site on EBay I'm talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-SUPER-WHI...e9c578&vxp=mtr

Unfortunately, there is a lot of confusion about LED assemblies, many people think that the ones at CW, or the ones from a local business, or the ones found on a site similar to the link you provided are "quality products made in America". That's just not the case. All SMD LED assemblies are made either in Maylasia or China and imported to the US for repackaging/remarketing. There is no LED manufacturing process located in the US. Some of the LED's for sale at camping supply stores are listed for prices upward of $30 each. If you turn the blisterpack over, you'll see that they are "made in china" and if you take them out of the package, inspect them carefully, you'll find the same (or similar) markings on the item that you'll find on the ones sold on EBay for less than 1/5th the price.

It's an "open, unregulated market" for this type of item and a lot of price gouging/salesmanship occurs. A buyer who doesn't shop carefully can be influenced to expensive purchases.

Performance of LED's is something that really makes a significant difference in satisfaction. LED components are very directional in how they project light. "Round type" or "bulb type" LED assemblies project light in all directions and are best used in light fixtures that are open in all directions. Installing them in overhead "pancake" fixtures will reduce their downward light output significantly. That's why an LED with 360 lumens appears as "bright' as a 921 incandescent bulb with an output of 220 lumens. The flat LED arrays with all the LED's pointing downward are much more effective in overhead pancake fixtures because all the light is projected to the area being illuminated. It's sort of like shining a flashlight on your flat tire vs shining a flashlight into a mirror and reflecting the light to the tire. Direct lighting is much more efficient in delivering the lumens to the surface being lighted.

I'm definitely not criticizing your choice of LED's for your RV, as long as you're satisfied, then it's the right choice to have made. The reason I'm addressing this topic is to alert other members who might be in the market for LED's for their RV to shop for alternatives that could save them a significant amount of money while making the investment to convert to LED lighting.

Big O Tire company used to have an ad on TV that said something like, "Tires are dirty and they smell funny. You can buy them in a store with flowers on the counter or you can buy them from our warehouse. The difference is you don't pay for perfume to make your tires smell nice and we will save you money." There's some truth to how they used to advertise.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote