Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2021, 04:51 AM   #1
jasin1

Brake system inspection

I saw this video the other day…this brand new trailer was built specifically for this guy(apparently a collaboration) and the manufacturer knows he is a relatively popular youtube personality.. you think they would have double checked the final product as he was showing the whole process with the manufacturer on his channel…even had the factory rep on the channel.

Anyway it got me thinking about my brake system…what specifically should I be inspecting?what brake maintenance on a one year old fiver?
I realize he has a disk brake system and I have electric..

If you have disk brakes I would double check the lines and how they are attached to the axles
Old 09-23-2021, 05:10 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Maybe it’s just me but his constant “they should have done this” ? If he was that upset, why didn’t he have it changed to HIS expectations. Who installed the system , factory or dealer?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:20 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Maybe it’s just me but his constant “they should have done this” ? If he was that upset, why didn’t he have it changed to HIS expectations. Who installed the system , factory or dealer?
It was the factory…this was a big reveal project/collaboration for this new trailer….I guess he figured it was going to be built with a higher quality since the manufacturer knew it was going directly on YouTube

I agree he probably should have checked everything out on pdi
It just had me thinking about my own brake system
Old 09-23-2021, 05:20 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I saw this video the other day…this brand new trailer was built specifically for this guy(apparently a collaboration) and the manufacturer knows he is a relatively popular youtube personality.. you think they would have double checked the final product as he was showing the whole process with the manufacturer on his channel…even had the factory rep on the channel.

Anyway it got me thinking about my brake system…what specifically should I be inspecting what brake maintenance on a one year old fiver?
I realize he has a disk brake system and I have electric..

If you have disk brakes I would double check the lines and how they are attached to the axles
I saw this video while in quarantine the past two weeks...

I watch his videos for their entertainment value because he seems to have a new problem or a new gimmick every couple of days... and occasionally he actually has a "real" and informative video.. rarely but occasionally..

In this video, I can't really believe that anyone with even a modicum of mechanical aptitude installed those brake lines in such a manner.. And it almost certainly wasn't don't by his local RV center because I know those fellows and they do much better work than that. Nor do I believe it was done that way at the manufacturer's facility..

But in watching most You Tube video channels.. you have to use a large application of SALT.... a grain ain't always enough..

With drum brakes... jack up the wheel, pull the breakaway pin and see if the wheel locks up... Replace the pin and rotate the wheel it should turn freely with a hint of a rubbing sound from the shoes dragging.. Then try to rock the wheel in and out by pushing on the top of the wheel while pulling at the bottom... It should not rock... if it does it's time for a bearing pack..

Look for grease leaking out of the wheel seal... it'll show up as an oily look or stain on the backing plate and/or the back side of the rim..

On hydraulic brakes if you need to add brake fluid... you got a leak.. FIND IT

Pull the wheel and check how thick the disc pads are and replace as needed..

Basically you can check the bearing just as you do with drum brakes..

That's the basics... not every thing but it'll get you by..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:23 AM   #5
jasin1

Thanks Javi! Will get right on this before my next trip…and yes maybe the factory farmed out the disk brake install
Old 09-23-2021, 05:23 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Similar to lots of boobtube videos. 10 1/2 min of talking when 2 or 3 could convey the info and ofcourse, please subscribe so I can continue to get freebies and continue to rattle on. Just not my cup of tea. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:24 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Similar to lots of boobtube videos. 10 1/2 min of talking when 2 or 3 could convey the info and ofcourse, please subscribe so I can continue to get freebies and continue to rattle on. Just not my cup of tea. YMMV
Lol yeah I usually fast forward through most of it
Old 09-23-2021, 05:40 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

About all the YouTube videos I watch are music videos and the occasional car/truck repair to see if there is a faster way than what I would do.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:59 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

This is my thought only after I have been in 1 RV factory, seen employee's leaving another many times and inside 4 manufactured home factories. All in Oregon and Washington. The assembly line workers are all or nearly all Hispanic and some I talked to just nod their heads or said yes. Leading me to beleive many do not have English as the primary language. While the managers are all non Hispanic.
What the engineers design and want done could get lost or mixed up by the time the line workers do the job. This video/RV could have been a first or 1 time brake build and line workers not supervised enough to make sure it was done right.
I only watched the video far enough to see the crappie brake line job. While I am not a brake expert, that was done wrong in my book.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:14 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
About all the YouTube videos I watch are music videos and the occasional car/truck repair to see if there is a faster way than what I would do.
I don’t watch music videos, have two daughters that grew up during MTV's infancy so maybe I'm burned out. There are a few that I will watch, one is a Ford mechanic that seems good. Then every now and then an aviation or large ship gideo will get my interest but I loose interest real fast when I see the obviously "doctored up" and fake ones.
That's just me. I don’t judge others for where they get their entertainment. What I do judge are folks that rely in, and blindly beleive everything they seeand read on social media as "gospel truth". JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #11
BookPaul74

It is actually a follow up video to the one where he was installing Sumo Springs and several people committed on the routing and brake lines. I do watch some for the same reason I go to RV shows, to get ideas on new designs and products that are out. Many of the “we went full time and this is my life” I just pass on because most have been doing it for 6 months or possibly for a year. I have nicknames for some, The Crash Couple, The Whiny Family. ��
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:47 AM   #12
ChuckS

Yea the brake line job the guy had done was below bush league .. IMO... I would have never allowed crap like that to be done on my RV...

Some Youtube videos are actually quite useful and have great info.. I have made several myself tailored specifically to the Alpine fifth wheel... and i don't have music and such.. just the facts as best as possible..

For your Dexter axle maintenance use the Dexter Service manual and you wont go wrong...

https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #13
BookPaul74

I have used a lot of Dexter information and Thanks I just saved that as a PDF file for reference. They do have a lot of stuff on their site for parts.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Yea the brake line job the guy had done was below bush league .. IMO... I would have never allowed crap like that to be done on my RV...

Some Youtube videos are actually quite useful and have great info.. I have made several myself tailored specifically to the Alpine fifth wheel... and i don't have music and such.. just the facts as best as possible..

For your Dexter axle maintenance use the Dexter Service manual and you wont go wrong...

https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf
Thanks! Appreciate