Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
mmessuri

Question 2020 Cougar 26RBS wiring polarity confusion

Ok, so I finally finished my move to a new state and had the travel trailer repaired from the last round of issues with the wiring an the rear camera (which I posted in this forum and had great responses). The day I picked up the RV I purchased a new Furrion Vision S 7" VOS and because I did not have the means to install it while at the dealer I waited until I got the trailer and new camera system home to do the install (after all I was told it was just a matter of unbox, remove the 4 tiny screws on the Furrion mount, and then plug the camera/monitor in).

Well, crazy me....expecting things to go well....which they did not. After installing the camera system and turning on the truck lights the monitor would come on but not the camera. So before going crazy with things I connected the camera to the pigtail on the monitor power plug and sure enough it works as it should.

What this meant for me now was trying to figure out what I was not getting any power to the camera when it was plugged into the factory supplied power pigtail on the back of the rv, after all all the running lights worked just fine.

So after trying every possible combination of truck lights on/off (and using a DVM while doing this as well) and various on/off switchs on the RV I finally removed the center clearance light (just above the factory supplied Furrion connector) and extracted the wiring connections. and what I was greeted with was multiple sets of black and red wires connected together (there is roughly 3 groups of red/red and black/black connections) and one of these had the black and red wires from the camera power cord connected to the properly color coded wires.

Since I was at a loss for what was going on and wanting to validate my sanity I placed the positive probe of my DVM onto the red/red/camera power supply red wire and my negative DVM probe onto the black/black/camera power supply black wire and too my surprise the DVM read -12v (if I switch the connection of my DVM to the DVM's red probe (positive) touching the black/black/camera power supply black wire and then the DVM's black probe so its touching the red/red/camera power supply red wire the DVM now reads +12v DC.

So this brings me to my confusion: Why would the polarity on the travel trailers clearance lights be reversed when compared to the color coding of the wires? After all common sense would dictate that red connects to red and black connects to black and then all things are positively happy (granted you should never really trust the color of the wires but common now, standards should be used so that someone does not have to use a DVM to test every frigging little detail all the time).

BTW: Sorry for the long post, I just could not figure out a better way to explain the issue I am seeing.

-- Michael --
mmessuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Now the question becomes: Was it "reverse wired by Keystone" or was the dealer's "repair" that reversed the wires?????

Bottom line, did you get your camera Working? If so, button it up and "move forward" Life's way too short to dwell on "why red is negative and black is positive and who wired it that way".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:01 AM   #3
mmessuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Bottom line, did you get your camera Working? If so, button it up and "move forward" Life's way too short to dwell on "why red is negative and black is positive and who wired it that way".....
Fortunately I did get the camera working; however, the obsessive side of me struggles with letting go and moving forward without knowing the why
mmessuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmessuri View Post
Fortunately I did get the camera working; however, the obsessive side of me struggles with letting go and moving forward without knowing the why
I think it was the butler in the library using the candle holder. But seriously, if it bothers you that much you need to talk to someone about your obsession as I doubt you'll ever "get to the bottom of it".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, wiring