Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
Flinthunter

Unhappy Battery overcharging

We recently purchased a 2008 Keystone Laredo and am having trouble with the battery overcharging. It has a WF-8955AN power converter. With the battery disconnected the voltage reads 13.6 with a meter on the leads. I read somewhere that it will not go into float mode with even a CO detector running in the camper. What have others done to solve this! Gel battery? Different converter?
Flinthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
gearhead

I replaced the converter in my Bigfoot cabover and used these folks. Great support.
https://www.bestconverter.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

This is from the WFCO FAQ section on their website:

How do I get my converter into Float Trickle Mode?
Reduce the load on the system to almost nothing but the battery. Let the system sit for approximately 44 hours. The converter voltage will drop to 13.2V DC. If the converter sees any load during this period or after it is in Float mode, it will revert back to Absorption (Normal) mode- 13.6V DC.

Can I use AGM or Gel batteries?
AGM batteries are OK. We do not recommend the use of GEL batteries except when using the WF-6800 Series. See the Owner's Manual for more information.

There's lots of great information on their website. Go to the "SUPPORT" section and take a look at the "Theory of Operation" and FAQ's.

https://wfcoelectronics.com

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
Campy

I actually ruined a fairly new interstate battery with my converter cooking the water out of the battery. It's my fault for not keeping an eye on it but my prior camper never cooked the water out of the battery. Have considered buying better converter.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:24 AM   #5
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinthunter View Post
We recently purchased a 2008 Keystone Laredo and am having trouble with the battery overcharging. It has a WF-8955AN power converter. With the battery disconnected the voltage reads 13.6 with a meter on the leads. I read somewhere that it will not go into float mode with even a CO detector running in the camper. What have others done to solve this! Gel battery? Different converter?
the first thing I do when I buy a unit is take that garbage out and put a good charger section in. Progressive dynamics is who I use.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:55 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
the first thing I do when I buy a unit is take that garbage out and put a good charger section in. Progressive dynamics is who I use.

Steve
It's strictly "personal preference" to change out a WFCO converter/charger for a Progressive converter/charger. Both will do the same job.

Painting a "broad brush image" that WFCO is "garbage" and Progressive is not is very much the same as saying RAM or GM or Ford "is or isn't"..... Or suggesting that "all tires made in China "are or aren't" or McD's is and BK isn't...

There's a reason why WFCO is installed in nearly all brands of RV's being built today. It's not because the RV manufacturers are trying to "install garbage".

If you're satisfied with Progressive, by all means install what you prefer. On the other hand, calling WFCO "garbage" is far from an accurate or unbiased observation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #7
BookPaul74

I have a WFCO 55 amp setting on a shelf, I replaced it with a Progressive 80 amp I had in a different fifth wheel. Didn’t really try out the WFCO because I had experience with the Progressive.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:47 AM   #8
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's strictly "personal preference" to change out a WFCO converter/charger for a Progressive converter/charger. Both will do the same job.

Painting a "broad brush image" that WFCO is "garbage" and Progressive is not is very much the same as saying RAM or GM or Ford "is or isn't"..... Or suggesting that "all tires made in China "are or aren't" or McD's is and BK isn't...

There's a reason why WFCO is installed in nearly all brands of RV's being built today. It's not because the RV manufacturers are trying to "install garbage".

If you're satisfied with Progressive, by all means install what you prefer. On the other hand, calling WFCO "garbage" is far from an accurate or unbiased observation.
your right there is a reason they are installed in almost every capmper, the price.. they are a medioker quality unit at best, over 38 years I have had to replace more batteries because wfco cooked them. I guess if you only plug your unit in while your camping you will be fine but for any seirous camping with out power where you are investing in "good" batteries, you need a "good" charger not an "ok" one. now thats not saying it has to be a PD, thats just the one I have had luck with, and is always available up here. talking with RV shops over the years up here the most comon replacement they do is the WFCO converters, so I dont think this is that much of a personal or biased opinion.

Steve
Old 08-08-2021, 05:17 AM   #9
Javi

Should be required reading for all RV owners.. https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...eration-v2.pdf

And regardless of the brand of converter / charger if you are checking your wet cell battery and regularly find the acid level low without heavy usage and constant full recharge cycles then you either have a bad battery or a bad charger..

Normal operation of modern converter / chargers which keep the battery charged while in storage will not COOK a GOOD battery...

Regularly discharging the common 12 volt Deep Cycle/starting batteries most of us use in our RV's below 11.7 volts is greatly shortening the life of the battery.

The dealers aren't helping with the problem when putting the minimum sized battery in the trailers at time of delivery... not to mention that you have no way to know how many times that battery has already been charged and completely discharged before you drove off with it as "NEW"

I don't dry camp anymore and haven't in many years so I do not get too excited when I smell a HOT battery in my camper... I just go to Walmart and buy a couple of series 27 "deep cycle" marine batteries and swap them out... I think I paid $89 each last go around.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Without some facts I wouldn't condem WFCO converters. Cheaper price? Yes. Higher failure rate? IMHO there is no evidence to support that. If you think about it rationally then you would expect the service dept. of any dealer to replace more WFCO converters than Progressive if the vast majority of trailers sold come with WFCO converters.

Logically the failure rate can only be fairly compared if you are comparing the percentage of failures to units sold over different brands. The "previous use/abuse" factor is also undefinable. How many "first time RV owners" allow the marginal at best dealer supplied battery to completly discharge multiple timesand never check the electrolyte level? Then when the battery "cooks out" they blame the converter and perhaps destroys it in the process. After that happens if it's beyound the warranty and they replace the converter with a different brand and get a more suitable battery. Too many variables IMHO to make a broad brush statement to condem the brand.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:53 AM   #11
jasin1

I’ll also add that the reliability or technology of Wfco converters from 30 years ago or even 10 years ago is vastly different
Everything….cars ,tvs,cameras and phones have developed and changed dramatically over the last decade…I’m thinking the newest technology wfco converters can’t be compared to older…along with there reliability

And past problems may be attributed to not using ems systems with older campgrounds having sketchy at best electric grids
Old 08-08-2021, 08:35 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Go to any Ford service department and ask "How many starters do you replace?".... Then go to any Chevy service department and ask the same question... From those answers, can you determine that Ford builds better starters or that Chevy's are more reliable ???

Same with WFCO converter/chargers. Just like a Ford or a Chevy, the dealer for that brand will ALWAYS replace more of the components used in their equipment....

The statement, "We replace more WFCO converters than any other brand" doesn't mean much without the context of how many are initially put into service and the failure rates "when compared to the inservice rates" for the specific brand....

If 1000 WFCO converters are installed and 10 need to be replaced vs 10 Progressive converters are installed and half as many (5) need to be replaced.....

It's "context" not "quantity"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-10-2021, 04:54 PM   #13
Stircrazy

Quote:
Go to any Ford service department and ask "How many starters do you replace?".... Then go to any Chevy service department and ask the same question... From those answers, can you determine that Ford builds better starters or that Chevy's are more reliable ???

Same with WFCO converter/chargers. Just like a Ford or a Chevy, the dealer for that brand will ALWAYS replace more of the components used in their equipment....

The statement, "We replace more WFCO converters than any other brand" doesn't mean much without the context of how many are initially put into service and the failure rates "when compared to the inservice rates" for the specific brand....

If 1000 WFCO converters are installed and 10 need to be replaced vs 10 Progressive converters are installed and half as many (5) need to be replaced.....

It's "context" not "quantity"
the main issue aside from what I have found with there reliability (I have bought three new rv's with WFCO and all three have failed within the first year.. hows that for a stat. I am I easy on batteries and charging, but thats niether here nor there, I won't own one but that isnt the reason. the reason is up untill now all they used was a two stage charger and before that a single stage when you could buy reasonably priced three and 4 stage chargers. the leads to boiled over batteries and other batery problem. I see just recently they have come out with a 3 stage charger that you can get in higher end units.

so heres the point. why am I going to go out and spend 1000 bucks (cdn pricing ) on deep cycle batteries and not spend 150.00 on a proper charger for them and instead use one that is going to constantly overcharge and boil water away making my water checks every two weeks instead of twice a year? and yes I do leave my rv pluged in all year, so some might say unplug it , but that is like treating a sysmptom instead of treating the desease. I go camping on a whim, so I want it ready to go at all times.

Steve
Old 08-10-2021, 05:42 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I guess I've been lucky....since 1984, never had a "bad" converter. I leave my RV plugged in 7x24x365 and replenish the battery water every 3 mos. or so and then it's just "a bit". For me, I spend a lot of money and replace LOTS of stuff on a whim but the converter has never been one to cause me issue. Good luck with the new one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

I'm not up on the WFCO history but I do belive the 3 stage charging goes back further than "recent". I guess I've been lucky as I've never replaced a converter and had one battery "cook out" but it wasn't the converter. The battery had a bad cell. Replaced battery and the same converter has been charging the current battery for 4 years now, plugged in 24/7 untill a month ago.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:16 PM   #16
Javi

Worked on RV's in the early 80's and been using them since then never had to replace one of my own and only had one battery boil.. and that wasn't the converter's fault. I replaced the battery and kept the converter.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
your right there is a reason they are installed in almost every capmper, the price.. they are a medioker quality unit at best, over 38 years I have had to replace more batteries because wfco cooked them. I guess if you only plug your unit in while your camping you will be fine but for any seirous camping with out power where you are investing in "good" batteries, you need a "good" charger not an "ok" one. now thats not saying it has to be a PD, thats just the one I have had luck with, and is always available up here. talking with RV shops over the years up here the most comon replacement they do is the WFCO converters, so I dont think this is that much of a personal or biased opinion.

Steve
Well there is always good, better and best. Most OEM installed converters are the good, not the best!

I pulled a WFCO and installed a Progressive Dynamics and could not be happier!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery