Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #121
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I buy mine on time. Always 0%.
My trucks are GMC
P. S. I LOOOOVE my 2500 daily driver.
I pay cash, just hate making payments.
In 2010 when I got laid off from Kodak with 30 years and age 60 I was happy to be gone because I owed nobody nothing.

2500 as a daily driver. GM is the only 2500/250 with independent front suspension. Does make the ride much better but I put 20+ K miles a year on my 1500 and fuel is an issue.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #122
notanlines

We hadn't made a truck/car note since 1994 and I wasn't about to start with an $80K truck until DW's credit union sent an email advertising 1.9% back in 2019. Hmmm, broker is pulling a strong 7-9% on our money or take it out and give up 1.9% money? No question, not only did we take the 1.9% money, but we sold our other F350 outright and financed the entire amount for 60 months.
Dave Ramsey might not approve, but I'm not throwing away 6% every year for no good reason. We agreed when we married that we never financed toys. We still haven't gone back on that promise.
Getting out of that car dealer without visiting their own finance manager was like dancing through a mine field blind.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #123
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We hadn't made a truck/car note since 1994 and I wasn't about to start with an $80K truck until DW's credit union sent an email advertising 1.9% back in 2019. Hmmm, broker is pulling a strong 7-9% on our money or take it out and give up 1.9% money? No question, not only did we take the 1.9% money, but we sold our other F350 outright and financed the entire amount for 60 months.
Dave Ramsey might not approve, but I'm not throwing away 6% every year for no good reason. We agreed when we married that we never financed toys. We still haven't gone back on that promise.
Getting out of that car dealer without visiting their own finance manager was like dancing through a mine field blind.

^^^^I agree. For some being "debt free" is important, maybe too important, and "at any cost" is not the smart financial move. As you point out, when you can get more for your money invested than what you are going to pay if you finance an "abc" you are making a poor choice to pull the investment out and lose money just to say "I paid cash".

We retired debt free 15 years ago. I decided I wanted 100k to do some "stuff" a few years back. The quandry? Pull 100k, at that time making about 20%, or get a loan (refi on a paid off vacation home) at 3.89 (now paid off - again)? Well, I could have paid the 100k cash, lost the 20% premium on it and saved 3.89....does that even kind of make sense? Borrowed the 100k always knowing that if something (can't imagine what) came up you can always then dip into that money and pay the note off.

Being debt free is nice to say but how and what you do to get there might not be the wisest choice - just sayin. JMO/YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #124
linux3

Quote:
I'm not saying it always makes financial sense I just hate being obligated.
When I bought my current truck in Dec 2019 I got $2,000.00 back for financing with GMAC, ah those were the days.
When the first bill came I paid the close out.
I had a 4.13% loan so did it cost me money? Sure but the amount was small and I was happy.

Lets face it Jim, at this stage in our lives it's all about being happy.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #125
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
OK, rant time!
For many years while our kids were home we had pop ups. Pulled them with a collection of SUVs. Actually the first was a Camel pop up that I pulled with a Mustang.

Anyway, we have as you can see a very nice TT and a good tow vehicle.
AND they are paid for!

So many posters here assume that you need a bigger truck because you MIGHT buy a bigger RV. How many people other than posters here actually do that?

IMHO a 2500/3500 makes a very poor daily driver. Uncomfortable fuel hogs.

To spend on a bigger truck because of what you someday might do is silly. Or maybe because you have a bigger truck you think you need a bigger RV?

The OP has a nice TT and a poor TV. Buy a good 1500 set it up and enjoy. I would suggest Silverado or if you must an F150 but do it and get out there.

A few years down the road if you enjoy the whole RV thing and think you need something bigger then start thinking about something bigger.

Lastly, our style of travel is to wander. 10k miles or so with no real plan. The OP's TT will get into spots a land yacht dare not go. Where does the OP want to fish?
The reason many suggest a larger than needed tow vehichle comes from personal experience. The "typical" pattern is folks by a trailer, find out they need a more capable tow vehichle, then buy a larger (capacity wise) truck. The recommendations I believe are in an attempt to save the inexperienced camper from "chasing their tail".

If you buy "just enough" truck then you start out with the truck at max capacity. For many, if not most folks can't afford to buy a new trailer and a new truck whenever the want or need arises. Therefore if they do buy a truck with more capacity in the beginning then they have capability in 3 or 4 years to trade up to a larger trailer while the truck is still relatively "young" rather being limited to the trailer they have.

I view it as logical. It's up to the individual to decide for themselves what their current and possible future needs anmd finances are. Giving them the insight to look ahead and the common courtesy to consider it is not a bad thing IMHO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:44 AM   #126
Northofu1

Being happy indeed!
For me it's always been about being smart about credit.
Part of my spiel to the salesman is I have 4 kids, I'm not rich but I need a vehicle, I wish I had the money to be able to buy everything cash. Either I'm getting a deal here or I get a deal somewhere else. Plain and simple, also not rude, just forthright.
I still wish I had the problem of where to invest all the money I have. It all went to my kids upbringing. 3 of 4 went to college, 1 is about to work abroad, all are very happy.
I don't care about debt, I only care about the rate. Life is too short to do without to accumulate wealth and die wanting.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #127
Badbart56

The used vehicle market is up, WAY up! But I never trade with dealers anyway. That's like playing poker with a guy named Vegas Vinnie. Some things you just don't do.....

Oh, and I haven't seen any recent post from wiredgeorge? Might better do a welfare check after the DW discussion.....just sayin.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #128
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerRoo View Post
Skunked - following on what Rick stated, the number one Ford volume dealer in the country is Brandon Ford, in Brandon FL, just east of Tampa. They have a great website and the price you see is the price you will pay. No BS no haggling. I bought my new 2019 F-250 XLT FX4 there in February 2020 and would expect you could find a 2020 that meets your requirements.

BTW, the reason for the new F-250 is when we upgraded in 2019 to the Outback 312BH I discovered by reading on this Forum and doing everything stated here that my previous 2002 F-250 Lariat 5.4L was right on the edge. NEW TRUCK. And she is set up for the next upgrade "The 5ver"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Don't know where you live but, there is a volume Ford dealer in Chattanooga, Tn that will deal with you. I drove 6.5 hours and saved $5000 the local Ford Dealers would not come off the sticker price. This was back in January before the "Great Chip Shortage" the Dealer was Mountain View.
Small world. I had my F350 serviced there in Chattanooga last year and a lot of our agencies patrol cars were purchased at the Brandon Ford lot back in the day.

2010 FZ 405

Old 08-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #129
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
The used vehicle market is up, WAY up! But I never trade with dealers anyway. That's like playing poker with a guy named Vegas Vinnie. Some things you just don't do.....
Quote:

Oh, and I haven't seen any recent post from wiredgeorge? Might better do a welfare check after the DW discussion.....just sayin.....
I have only had one instance where my trade in was totally undervalued.
I do my homework on used vehicle values. If the offer is not to my liking I walk.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #130
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
[COLOR="Red"]

I have only had one instance where my trade in was totally undervalued.
I do my homework on used vehicle values. If the offer is not to my liking I walk.
I worked for Chevy and Ford/Lincoln dealers at times when I wasn't a cop off and on from 1976 until 2012. Trust me when I say, the house never loses. All you know is the new vehicle MSRP. They know the true invoice on their new inventory and you'll never know what they have in a used vehicle.

It's the same old game, they wouldn't stay in business if they weren't making money. Let's just say that I've seen the deal after the sale and it doesn't always match the final sale paperwork that the customer has in their hand.

But if you can make a deal that you're happy with, go for it. In todays market you would do better to sell your trade outright. That said, if you're upside down or recently bought something and want to move it, trading might be your best course.

The really successful car/truck salesmen I have known aren't so much experts on the vehicles they sell as much as they are very good at reading the people that come into the dealership. It is a profession, I'll give them that.

2010 FZ 405

Old 08-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #131
skunked again

Thanks to all for the replies!

As advised - We are waiting till we're comfortable. We've decided to go and look at campers, go in a few various sizes, try and determine what size (at least for now) we feel is too big for us. Size the TV from that, right, wrong or otherwise.

Today we did stop by all three stealerships in town. All three salesmen where in agreement, they have no idea when this cycle will break. None had 3/4 ton gassers in stock, new or used.

linux3 -The ford dealer did have a new, special order, 1/2 ton, super cab(extended cab) 2wd. The way this truck was spec'd, the door sticker said a payload of 2,221lbs. I looked at it twice, didn't believe it the first time I saw it. Impressive! However, it was only $4,000 cheaper than the MSRP of the 3/4 ton, crew cab, 4wd, 2,925 payload, with gooseneck/5th wheel prep, spray in bedliner - that we tried to deal on. Don't get me wrong $4,000 is ALOT of money!! Until you look at what you're getting for it.
As for I want to fish? Anywhere with water. Seriously. I'm on the water, I'm happy!

My commute to work is less than 10 miles, roundtrip.

chuckster57 - YES! a covid upcharge of $3,000 on all new vehicles. A different dealer had a $5,000 upcharge on all new vehicles.

Badbart56 - I would like to sell outright, problem is, all of our other vehicles are in use. Two kids in college, they both work, albeit part time. Wife is retired, works part time. We did discuss it. I did that with my last vehicle, as we had a spare sitting here. And, with the current situation of not many vehicles sitting on the lots. For the good news, we are not upside down on it. We would also like to stay that way.
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:42 AM   #132
notanlines

Gary, I'm afraid you have a long way to go covering this idea of being retired! 'Retired' people do not work part-time. That term just means that they are working less!
We've been actually retired for seven-eight years and I still need a lot of practice!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 08-08-2021, 03:13 AM   #133
wiredgeorge

Quote:

I haven't said much in this thread with everybody saying "this is what I do with my money" and giving advice on going to dealers, etc. Personally I don't owe anyone a dime on credit. Makes me feel good. Don't care if it is smart or dumb. And as far as the DW (the missus), I will be married to my wonderful wife 50 years come next February. PS: She just got another chihuahua named Bonnie and that takes us back up to nine pooches. Bonnie is a stinker and drives us all nuts (including the other 8 dogs).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bonnie1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	35141  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:44 AM   #134
notanlines

George, "Personally I don't owe anyone a dime on credit. Makes me feel good."
I believe you are probably the one who SHOULD be giving advice on this subject!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 08-08-2021, 06:31 AM   #135
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I haven't said much in this thread with everybody saying "this is what I do with my money" and giving advice on going to dealers, etc. Personally I don't owe anyone a dime on credit. Makes me feel good. Don't care if it is smart or dumb. And as far as the DW (the missus), I will be married to my wonderful wife 50 years come next February. PS: She just got another chihuahua named Bonnie and that takes us back up to nine pooches. Bonnie is a stinker and drives us all nuts (including the other 8 dogs).
Hey, when it comes to finances, everyone's path is different. But if you've made it this far in life and don't owe anyone, you're doing something right. I have learned that you can have too much equity in things sometimes though. Like when you see a really good investment property but you paid off your house with the $50K CD that wasn't earning much. But the truth is most of us here are blessed to be in such a position to begin with, right? Reminds me of that meme,

When I was young I was poor. But after decades of hard work I'm no longer young.

Congrats on the upcoming 50th anniversary! I'm only on 27 myself but that's not including the first wife! Even so, I'm still a youngster myself as I just turn 65 this December.

I (we) love dogs too! If it wasn't so hard on them we would have one on the truck with us. We had my youngest son's Bulldog with us for about a year when he was deployed to Poland but she wasn't fond of all the rough roads we encountered along with the 116 degree days in Arizona (had to carry her over the asphalt) or the snow and ice we run into during the winters. She is much happier staying at home in her Georgia backyard.

2010 FZ 405

Old 08-08-2021, 06:49 AM   #136
jasin1

Nice picture George …both look happy
Old 08-09-2021, 03:22 PM   #137
skunked again

Quote:
Gary, I'm afraid you have a long way to go covering this idea of being retired! 'Retired' people do not work part-time. That term just means that they are working less!
We've been actually retired for seven-eight years and I still need a lot of practice!
I do have a long way to go! Even worse, I'm a slow learner ! ! I'm all of 45.

George - glad you're ok !
Old 09-19-2021, 09:19 PM   #138
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchampneys View Post
As you can see, “adequate” and “might be enough” are words of caution. I now tow a 43’ 3-axle 5th wheel with a 1-ton diesel powered crew cab with no limitations. Wish I’d started with this TV in the beginning, rather than graduating up from a 1/2 ton. Spend your money one time. You will be happy you did, and you won’t have to look back and say, “woulda, coulda, shoulda”.
Payload is always a limitation, not towing power, is that 3500 SRW or DRW?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:16 PM   #139
skunked again

We've been to multiple dealers, tried to buy a few trucks. Two 3/4 tons, a one ton, a used Titan XD, even a half ton! I know, I know, cut me some slack

It's gotta be me! All of those dealers can't be the problem.

Gonna take some advice from someone on this thread, sit back, wait, see what happens with the vehicle market.
And, to top it off, my DW says she's not in love with camping! My conspiracy side thinks it's a ploy to keep me from getting a different vehicle!! LOL
Old 02-13-2022, 09:49 AM   #140
skunked again

! Frontier is Traded !

Traded it in Friday night. Actually, did a double purchase, our son bought a 2022 Nissan Sentra also. It was quite a long day !
Bought a new 2021 Nissan Titan. Before you ask, payload is 1377#'s. Is that impressive? Nope. To the dismay of some on here? Yup.
The current situations were evaluated - vehicle, financial, towing needs\wants, every day needs\wants, how long we might keep the TT, where we camp and plan to camp, others that are slipping my mind at the moment. Many moving parts.

- Everything said on this, and other threads on this site, was taken into account.

- I truly would like to thank each and every one of you! -

Tags
tow, tow vehicle