Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
Jmayse

Question about the under belly

From watching a video that was done by Keystone. The underbelly (for lack of a better word) is a full sheet, best I can tell, is installed and screwed on the outside edges. Now all I see is lagging material because nothing is holding the center of that sheet.

My question is, is that right? Only attach to outsides. Why didn't they at least take strapping and put at least one screw in the middle?

Is this going to be a problem? Is it suppose to lag in that way? Gravity is just pulling it to the center where it looks like a balloon in the middle.

Teach me, instruct me, please.
Jmayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Some sag is normal. Biggest issue is the lack of crossmembers to screw to. I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

My units that have had coroplast on the bottom have had screws sporadically placed out in the middle but they still sagged a bit. I've seen some that looked flat as a table top and some that looked like they had 100 gals. of water on top (maybe they did?). If it bugs you, you have the time and inclination etc., you could drop one side down, find and mark any crossmembers then run some self tapping screws into them. I like screws to be in the middle so the belly is somewhat tight/flat. Previous trailer developed a leak in a gray tank and I could see a change in the coroplast which gave me a hint. As an aside; when they dropped the coroplast and replaced the tank I took it home and went right back in behind them to check them out. What did I find? 23 (TWENTY THREE) screws left out holding up the coroplast. Now that was a fun trip to the dealer (I fixed it after they gave me a huge container of screws and washers). Of those 23 I believe 10 or 12 were inside the perimeter of the frame...and that was on just about a third of the underbelly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Mine has 1 or 2 center screws (total). I thought about adding some, but with the tanks and wires and water pipes in there it is too easy to screw into something costly. 25,000 miles and counting and no issues so I think it’s perfectly fine.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
gearhead

I did the following on our previous Montana HC and current Landmark. Hardware store had some lengths of sheet metal angle. It is about 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" with holes and slots in it like unistrut. I buy it in 8' lengths and cut to the width of the outside of my frame rails. Paint it with flat black. I drill a 1/4"+ hole in the frame and secure with 1/4" X 20 TPI stainless bolts with fender washers and a nylock nut.
I can't stand to see that loose sagging plastic.
Works so far!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote