Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadmech View Post
Two separate questions. What is this? (Hanging from wires,) and how to remove the cover of switch below to install a dimmer in its place.
Woohoo! Who's on first!? LOL 😂
It's a remote temperature sensor. The cover on the switch can be removed by prying on it from the back.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:10 AM   #22
Todd Burton

I have two of those in my Cougar, they turn the lights on and off. One in the bed area, and one next to the refrigerator.
Todd Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #23
Dadmech

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's a remote temperature sensor. The cover on the switch can be removed by prying on it from the back.
Knew that, Thanks. Was being silly. ��
U. S. Army Vet. 1972 - 1979
Dadmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Two separate questions. What is this? (Hanging from wires,) and how to remove the cover of switch below to install a dimmer in its place.
Boy your easy to amuse! The first question “what is this?” Was IMMEDIATELY and CORRECTLY answered with the second post…I simply then expanded on the post (hijacked) because of the awesome picture and the need to get the answer from the 2nd poster …I posted IMMEDIATELY after the 2nd post.
Really not that weird or funny but I’ve heard of people rolling on the floor to “Joani loves chachi”…(insert laugh track)

Glad I could entertain you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8CE32413-6DBB-4BE7-9411-08FB67735660.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	35032  
Old 08-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #25
Dadmech

Was just reacting to all the assorted comments. Sorry, I’ll keep my “silliness “ to myself. 🤐
U. S. Army Vet. 1972 - 1979
Dadmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Was just reacting to all the assorted comments. Sorry, I’ll keep my “silliness “ to myself. 🤐
Lol no my friend it’s all good…I’m not mad. The world NEEDS more silliness
Old 08-02-2021, 05:31 AM   #27
CampNBrew2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is a "known issue" with the In-Command system interface with some air conditioner/furnace operations. Below 40F or above 90F the In-Command system "locks out HVAC controls".
What a joke. The units sole purpose is to heat or cool the trailer but has a range like this? Glad they are fixing it but it never should have been released with such poor programming. Give me good old reliable regular controls any day. Ahh "technology"- a wonderful idea (when it works)
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:36 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNBrew2 View Post
What a joke. The units sole purpose is to heat or cool the trailer but has a range like this? Glad they are fixing it but it never should have been released with such poor programming. Give me good old reliable regular controls any day. Ahh "technology"- a wonderful idea (when it works)
They even have it as a FAQ on there website so it must be a known bug that they never imagined when designing the system…maybe they ordered thermistors that are within the 40-100 range because the “engineers” thought “nobody is going to camp outside those parameters”…they failed to realize when turning the system on when you get to a campsite the temperature inside very well could be outside the design limits
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DF3628C-5F91-42BA-8F26-964090B63C80.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	35056  
Old 08-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #29
wiredgeorge

Ain't convenience electronics grand. Sure glad I don't have any in my camper. In Command sounds more like Out of Control at times!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It might be "a joke" but it's a "real joke". Either you can work around "the joke" or you can "sweat and bitch about the joke". Either way, blame it on whatever makes you feel better about reality. Bottom line is this: If you don't devise your own work around or use one that's proven to mitigate the known issue, you're going to have an inoperable HVAC system and a hot or cold trailer when you exceed the limits of the system...

I remember a space shuttle that never should have been released with a leaking O-ring in a fuel transfer valve, but, we all watched as it exploded just after liftoff. Things happen, even in "rocket science", and we all know Keystone ain't "rocket science".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #31
LHaven

Quote:
The bug isn't in the inCommand system, it's in a specific model of Dometic HVAC control interface box located in the A/C that was the model selected for many Keystone products around 2019. The reason the syndrome is in their FAQ is because hundreds of people called them about this behavior. Swapping out the HVAC interface for pretty much any other compatible Dometic model fixes the problem immediately. Unless you live in a very narrow climate zone, you usually discover this failure well in time to have it fixed under warranty.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:29 AM   #32
rlh1957

The two screw thermistor has nothing to do with the toggle light switch. Thermistor relays ambient temperature of that room to thermostat.
The switch will either turn that room on and off or another nearby light.

The switch escutcheon plate it loosens with a small blade or screwdriver. It just pops off and snaps back on. The switch is screwed to wall.
I had mine off because in a dark room that blue light is annoying. I blocked the light out so it doesn’t shine through.

I suspect the switch in bedroom is for bedroom lights and the one by the kitchen turns on all LR & Kitchen areas. Ofcourse you main panel for coach the In Command system controls lights as well.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #33
Mic

so if there is remote zones.

ie t stats

does the system have servo controlled dampers to accomplish the temp variation ??
Old 08-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #34
rlh1957

Quote:
No rocket science here.
There are two different things in the photo.

One with the screws out is a thermo sensor for that room or zone. What isn’t shown is the little snap on cover grid that goes over it.

The blue led backlit switch is a light switch. Could be for that one room or it could be a three way light switch that has a mate back down the way.

You could put a dimmer switch on and see if it works. Not sure if it works when that light switch goes through in command system.

It will either work or not work. Remember LED lights only work wired one way unlike some DC or AC that light no matter which way you wire.

No loss, because there is always somewhere you can use a dimmer switch.

There aren’t any electrically or thermostatically controlled dampers in RV’s.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #35
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
so if there is remote zones.

ie t stats

does the system have servo controlled dampers to accomplish the temp variation ??
Ha ha! This brings back memories of my first employer. Honeywell's very first product was the "automatic damper flapper" (1886).

In most RVs, there is typically one thermistor per A/C unit, so no airflow control needed. If you have "two zones" in your rig, it's typically because you have two A/C units.