Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
Travelermi

Cool Passport slideout help

I know their has to be a thread for this but I could not find.
I have a passport 2920Bh and the super slideout has horrible “chatter” when
Retracting. I’ve seen the fix of putting roller on so your not relying on the wear bar. My issue is I can identify what height/type of roller. Does anyone have the lippert part# that should be used for my slide?

Your help is appreciated.
Travelermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:54 AM   #2
Travelermi

Bumping this thread up, could really use some guidance on aftermarket rollers for this issue.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Do you have cable slides?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Travelermi

Yes i should of stated, it's a cable slide system that has no rollers.
I've seen videos of other cable slide systems having this issue and adding aftermarket rollers, but dont know what size roller to get to lift just off wearbar without being to high.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You don't say and your profile does not list the year of your trailer so don't know if the chatter is coming from wear, alignment or something broken.

Have you looked over, under and around the slide at the seals and inside the seals? Something (maybe a seal) could have torn off and gotten stuck under it causing an issue. Also look at the bottom of the slide. It will be covered with a mesh looking fabric; do you see any signs of wear, fraying or crinkling?

Some folks have installed the aftermarket rollers with success. Sometimes they can cause issues if they are not perfectly square because they can then start to crinkle up the darco fabric. They make skis to go on the ends, I installed uhmw strips on my last one, put solid uhmw on this one so there are options to investigate.

The slide mechanism is manufactured by Bal/Norco. They sell rollers to go under the slides if that is the route you choose. You need to know the height of the wear bar so you can get the right height roller. I chose not to go that route because I didn't want anything else rolling, pulling or wearing the darco material which I consider pretty weak.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #6
Travelermi

Good point on the “fabric” it seems fragile.
A plastic runner for less friction is a great idea.
Any name brand or place you can recommend to find the strips of uhmwpe?
I imagine you screw in using a recess so nothing snags.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Sorry for the delay responding I had to go to physical therapy.

Have you looked the slide(s) over to make sure 1) nothing is torn or stuck under or around the slide and 2) that the darco is not torn or frayed. Are there wear marks on the fabric and if so where? If you use strips you want them to be in the location(s) where the fabric is contacting the wear bar.

The uhmw strips are usually attached with countersunk screws. I have used 1/8" thick material. Some have used 1/4'. You don't want to raise the slide enough to require readjustment. On the last trailer I used 12" wide strips (2) on the ends where mine was wearing. Screws were countersunk on the outside end outside the wear bar to hold it then adhesive was used on the strip. Others have used countersunk screws for most of the length and I'm sure someone else will chime in. Before you do any of it MAKE SURE that's what you need to stop the chattering/hopping.

The skis go on the ends as well and go around the ends to attach under the trim strip on the ends of the slides. Looks pretty clean. In either case you need to raise the slide to position the material. Here are some links to shed some light;

https://www.interstateplastics.com/U...ss=0.125&qty=1

https://www.amazon.com/Duo-Form-Slid.../dp/B0873B2LQF

Tags
passport, slide, slideout