Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
cdped

fresh water tank leaking

Hello. I have a 2016 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS. This weekend we noticed water dripping from the underbelly. I removed some of the underbelly and found a leak coming from the back side of the fresh water tank. The drip will start when the tank is about a quarter of the way filled. I can only see water dripping from the bracket that is holding the tank, as the sides of the tank are blocked. I don’t know where to start with repairing this. I assume I am going to have to drop the tank, but I have no idea how. Anyone else have this issue? And if so, how did you repair it?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	28331   Click image for larger version

Name:	leak2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	28332   Click image for larger version

Name:	leak3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	28333  
cdped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Removing the fresh tank is the easiest tank to remove. Drain it, and then remove the sensor wires noting which color wire is attached to each sensor. Remove the outlet to the pump, and be ready to get wet. If you can get to the top of the tank, remove the fill hose and vent line. If not then you need to remove one of the supports. This will allow you to drop the tank and remove the fill/vent hoses.

With the tank out, you can determine where the leak is and proceed with repair/replacement. Feel free to PM me for more specific instructions if you need.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
Bill-2020

This is why this is a great place to visit. Response from Chuckster to PM him if more help is needed by the OP. Hats off to ya Chuckster!
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
Lee

Cdped,

Take a look at this post I did years ago:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=30007

I had a similar problem as you describe. The 2" aluminium cross straps supporting the tank are secured to the frame cross members with self tapping hex head screws. The fresh water tank sets directly onto the heads of these screws. Over time the screw heads vibrated holes into the bottom of the tank.

Even though out of warrantee, I filed a claim with Keystone at the dealership I bought the TT from. Keystone approved the claim and even offered to install the new FWT. I choose to install myself as I added wooden shims over the screw heads to prevent this from happening again.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
Sloughpump

I'm a faithful reader, but publish rarely. I have a 2013 Laredo 296RL, bumper pull, Leaking FWT, same thing...strap fastener-hex screw boring into tank slowly over time. I've read Lee's entry and Chuckster57... Has anyone else been successful with Keystone after warranty exp? The tank replacement is about $300. Expect a big labor charge; 10-12 hrs. Are the grey and black tanks equally at risk? Anything preventatives, other than the wood shims, that people have tried?

I like the trailer, 7 years worth! Would like to keep it. Thanks,
Sloughpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

10-12 hrs to replace the FWT is out of line. 3-4 total for removal of old install of new, hook up lines and sensors.

Black and gray are usually installed differently as they are rigid (most common is ABS type), held in by rails at the front and rear. L shaped and the lip of the tank sits on it. Rails are welded to plates that are screwed into the frame rails.

Black/gray tanks are more difficult to change as the plumbing is also rigid. I have done a gray in as little as 4 hours. I had a black tank in a fifth wheel that took me 6 hours to get it out and 4 hours to put it back in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
Lee

Keystone covered my tank and it was out of warrentee.... Dealer I bought TT from would install for free but,..... I chose to install myself and also remedy the screws heads or else the new tank would eventually leak also.I

Go back and re read my link and I will see how I accomplished this.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
Bill-2020

All of this talk about protruding screws makes me want to go drop that coroplast in front and take a look. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised and not have to make any changes....” oh quit dreaming Bill!“
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
Sloughpump

Thanks folks. Follow up: I spoke to our repair guy today. A FW tank was located and is being shipped. Guys said the leak was not a hex head rubbing. But, mine seems a clear manufacturing issue. When installing a propane line brackets, they drove a retaining screw right into the tank. Gradually, over time the screw loosened and the hole enlarged, finally giving way. Likely, why I noticed a very small leak at first,but since I rarely used the FWT, didn't think much of it. This is a seven year old trailer. Not sure if Keystone would help. This is the second manufacturing issue I've had. They also laid an electrical bundle right over the frame, then put the flooring down pinching the bundle . Over time, the friction shorted my left turn signal and left break light, and later the running lights. My fixer, cut through the frame, smoothed the edges, and securely wrapped and packed their wiring fix to prevent further. Again, very unlikely, I'll get anything from Keystone.
Sloughpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:01 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Thanks for posting a follow up. I would at least try, even at this age. Pictures, pictures, pictures may get you fixed up for free.

Tags
fresh water tank, leak, tank, water