Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
mikec557

Gray dump handle, AWOL

You buy a used rig and you take the little things for granted. You look for big problems, hoping to find none.

And thus I did not realize the gray galley pull handle was nowhere to be seen. Both the handle and the rod or cable are no longer present. I can see a small hole in the spray foam insulation about 4 inches to the right of the hose dump connector. The hole is 1/4~3/8 diameter. I'm guessing that is where the handle used to be.

I can't see much peeking past the coroplast, I can see the foil duct from the furnace when looking through the hole. I think that's the duct that heats the underbelly.

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of this or similar rigs? What are the odds it's only a rod/handle problem and not a gate problem? Do the rods come in different lengths?

At a campground where I can't do any work for awhile.

Rig is a 2020 26RBSWE.

Here's a couple pics of what I have..

Thanks for your thoughts
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200711_141427941.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	28609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200711_141419414.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	28610  
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Rods and handle kits come in various lengths. They are all the same threads and diameter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:05 AM   #3
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Rods and handle kits come in various lengths. They are all the same threads and diameter.
Thanks Chuckster. That's good to know.
It's killing me to not be able to see the inside so I can figure out what or how to repair it. Maybe when we get to the next campground I can get a better look.

BTW, what brand do you think this is? Or are the rod/handle kits universal?

Thanks again
Mike
Old 07-12-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Most likely a Valterra brand, but the handle/rod kits are universal.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
mikec557

Quote:
Thanks. I'll start looking for those parts. Maybe I can repair this at the next campground.

Mike
Old 07-13-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
Dave W

Keystone uses both Valterra and LaSalle-Bristol dump valves. To me, the Valterra are better as they use a single pull wire which doesn't stretch vs the others stranded cable. If the other dump valves have Valterra cast on the handle's surface, you may just need a new cable which are avilable via AMAZON. Unfortunately, that cable by itself isn't much cheaper then an entire valve.

One positive - you can probably cut and reroute then lube a new cable to pull easier as I did hen replacing a couple sticky valves on our 5er
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Keystone uses both Valterra and LaSalle-Bristol dump valves. To me, the Valterra are better as they use a single pull wire which doesn't stretch vs the others stranded cable. If the other dump valves have Valterra cast on the handle's surface, you may just need a new cable which are avilable via AMAZON. Unfortunately, that cable by itself isn't much cheaper then an entire valve.

One positive - you can probably cut and reroute then lube a new cable to pull easier as I did hen replacing a couple sticky valves on our 5er

Thanks. Some days I am so brain dead... I didn't think to go see if either of the other two handles have a manufacturer name on them. I'll do that this morning. I already ordered a two rod and handle kit from Amazon. Hopefully it will provide what I need. My previous 5er had cables, I believe this TT has rods.

I'll report back with the solution and pics when I get it resolved.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
Voyager

I lost one of my handles as well, I cut open the coroplast to gain access, then went to the local hardware store and bought a piece of threaded ready rod, and cut to length added some thread lock, you can buy different handles that fit at the same store, used Gorilla tape to close up coroplast, it’s been two years still going strong.
2 Champion 2000's
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
mikec557

Quote:
Thanks again Chuckster for answering my otherwise dumb question about what brand do you think it is. DaveW, above, suggested I look at the two handles I still have to see what brand they might be...

Which pointed out how unobservant I can be. Note the second picture in my first post... In big letters on the big round cap, it reads: Valerra. I should have known the answer before I even asked.

Thanks again for the time you take to answer my questions and the questions of others.

DaveW, thanks to you as well.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Thanks again Chuckster for answering my otherwise dumb question about what brand do you think it is. DaveW, above, suggested I look at the two handles I still have to see what brand they might be...

Which pointed out how unobservant I can be. Note the second picture in my first post... In big letters on the big round cap, it reads: Valerra. I should have known the answer before I even asked.

Thanks again for the time you take to answer my questions and the questions of others.

DaveW, thanks to you as well.
The Valtera on the cap is just the cap, that doesn't mean the valves are also Valtera. One would think they bought all the fittings from Valtera but it is Keystone so......
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #11
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The Valtera on the cap is just the cap, that doesn't mean the valves are also Valtera. One would think they bought all the fittings from Valtera but it is Keystone so......
The pull handles on our Montana have Valterra cast on them plus the valves themselves have Valterra cast on the housing but you wont see that unless you pull the belly cover down. They also have lock nuts to keep them in place. I suspect that Valterra pull cable will work with LaSalle-Bristol and vice versa

I repurposed one used cable pull assembly and housing as a throttle controll on a used lawnmower I bought.

OP - that cable on ours was just bent over to hold it in place through a hole in the valve operating rod along with a hand tightened nut for the housing while the replacement Valterras have a set screw along with that nut. Not a big deal but could be confusing at first look
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #12
mikec557

Problem Solved

As promised, here's the follow up.

I bought a Valterra kit on Amazon that had a 6in and 9in rod, and handle. As others have noted, there is not really anything brand specific with this kit. The key is that it has 1/4-20 threaded parts. Also, I didn't study the blade valve to identify what brand it was... I was too busy sweating the big stuff.

I cut the underbelly on two sides, creating a three sided trapdoor that hinged on the forward/front side of the trailer, about 12x12 inches, and I placed the hinge side about even with the old rod hole which was about 4-5 from the gray tank drain cap. The gray tank is literally pressing down against the inside foil and the coroplast, so you must be careful not to cut too deep as you slice the coroplast with a razor knife.

I was glad to see the threaded stud on the blade valve was not only present, but looking like new. I was fairly certain the handle was not broken off from the outside because there was no sign of damage... just a 1/2 hole in the foam where the factory foamed around the rod that was there at one time.

Using both rods made the handle protrude about the same distance as my other two tank handles. The aluminum tubes have a female thread on one end and a 4in piece of 1/4-20 ready rod in each, such that you could use that rod to lengthen the overall piece provided you use a 1/4-20 jam nut as appropriate. The kit came with a couple, but you should have more on hand in case you need them.

I cleaned both edges of each cut side with rubbing alcohol. I cleaned about 2 inches on each side of the cut giving me about a 4 inch wide clean surface for taping. I used a couple strips of Gorilla tape (black not clear) over the two cuts. Boy does that stuff stick well. I'll keep an eye on it, but I think that will be sufficient to keep the trapdoor closed.

Hope this helps someone else in the future. I have learned a ton of stuff by reading through what others have done. Thank you to all the other posters I have learned from.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Product.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	28714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trapdoor-1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	28715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trapdoor-2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	28716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trapdoor-3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	28717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trapdoor-4.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	28718  

Name:	Knife Blade buried in the belly.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	28719  
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax (sold)
Old 07-17-2020, 06:03 AM   #13
notanlines

Mike, thanks for the update and the details. I know other RV'ers will benefit from it in the future.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote