Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
Devildogmom

Question Camping in "Deep East Texas"

I just came across the site for Lake Livingston State Park. They have full hookups and it sounds pretty good.

Have any of you stayed there. We are planning to go to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo next March. It sounds to me like Lake Livingston might be an option.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
wgb1

I have been to many of the Texas state parks but unfortunately, this is one I have not been to even though I live not too far away, so I really can't help. Most Texas state parks are really nice and will be pretty much the same across the board, so if you have been to others, you can pretty much expect the same. I recently found this website that gives a lot of info and ratings of Texas state parks. Look it over and see what you think. I have heard good things about LLSP, so you should be OK. Huntsville state park, Martin Dies Jr state park are other options.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Devildogmom

Lightbulb Thanks for the website

It looks very interesting.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Hi develdogmom,

I stayed at Lake Livingston State Park one night about a month and a half ago. They don't have any pull-thrus and backing in anything over 30 feet is one heck of a challenge in most of their spots. I have a 35' fifth wheel and had a near disaster trying to get it into one of their spots. The access road is very narrow and the drop offs are pretty severe. For tent camping or small trailers it would be nice.

When I left there I went to the Lake Livingston Lakeside RV Resort and Marina in Onalaska Texas. I've been here for over a month and just extended for another month. I really like this spot and it was even less expensive than the park! They have a beach, great wifi, a pool, bar/restaurant and it isn't crowded. This was my view a few nights ago:

2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
dizzylizzy

I live fairly close to LLSP..I haven't camped there, but have visited and the sites do look hard to get into. We have stayed at Wolf Creek park out of Coldspring TX and really like it there. It will be about 1.5 hour drive to HLS&R. There is a nice rv park closer into Houston, without getting into the Houston traffic. Its called Forrest Retreat RV park in New Caney Tx I havent stayed there, but drive by it often while going to a barrel race. It looks nice and clean. IF you need any more help let me know, will be glad to help in anyway
dizzylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildogmom View Post
I just came across the site for Lake Livingston State Park. They have full hookups and it sounds pretty good.

Have any of you stayed there. We are planning to go to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo next March. It sounds to me like Lake Livingston might be an option.
Devildogmom -

If you are going to the Houston Livestock and Rodeo, i would REALLY encourage you to look for campgrounds southwest of Houston, perhaps towards Sugarland or Needville. Or at worst, south of Houston towards Alvin or Friendswood. Lake Livingston area is on the opposite side of Houston from Reliant Park. Having escaped Houston and Houston traffic, I can assure you that the drive from LL to Reliant Park would white knuckle you even on the weekends! I once got caught in a two hour traffic jam at 3am Saturday morning on 59 in Kingswood! For your own sanity, look towards the southwest down Main Street towards Sugarland or catch Southwest Freeway (59) at Sugarland down to Needville or other locales.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Postonent

Lake Livingston is a very nice lake. However, it is about 2 hours or more from Houston. If you plan on going to the Houston Rodeo, I would not advise staying that far from Houston. The traffic is terrible coming in on I45 or I59. You would be better off getting closer. Now if you have a boat and plan to fish, water ski, and do all the "water fun" things as well, that is a different story. But for a place to stay to go to the rodeo, I would discourage that.

I have lived in Texas all my life and currently live in Bryan/College Station, TX, and am very aware of the pitfalls of trying to go in and out of Houston.
Postonent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildogmom View Post
I just came across the site for Lake Livingston State Park. They have full hookups and it sounds pretty good. Have any of you stayed there. We are planning to go to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo next March. It sounds to me like Lake Livingston might be an option.
I went to the Houston Rodea from Lake Livingston in March 2011 and didn't have any trouble getting into or out of the Houston area. Maybe it was a fluke but it was pretty smooth. Lake Livingston area is gorgeous and if you ride a motorcycle there are a lot of great roads and scenery.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
geo

South Houston

Not to be argumentative, but Kent, I really think you got lucky with Houston Traffic. And you are very correct, Lake Livingston is very nice - it's actually where one finally escapes the "bussle" of Houston!

As a 5 year resident of Missouri City (southwest Houston) until finally escaping some time back, I have been in Houston many times over the years on business and even a couple of personal trips. With the Houston Livestock/Rodeo being held at the old Astrodome complex (yup, that's what we knew it as 'cause we watched it being built) out on the southwest side of 610, I would not wish on anyone to come from north of Houston during weekdays to the Astrodome! Weekends? Maybe. Personally, if I were heading down in that direction, I would look for a spot in Alvin and come up TX 288, or look in Richmond/Rosenburg/Nederland area and come up US 59 to Main Street and up Main to the Astrodome.

To this day, I try to plan my trips to Houston to avoid the morning and afternoon rush hours (6-10am and 4-7pm).

But, as Hank says . . . just my two cents.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote