Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Hansel

Roof Inspections, PLEASE DO IT!!!!!!

Well my 2005 Laredo that I thought I had done a really good job of keeping up with the roof, WELL I WAS WRONG!!!

Just got a quote for my what I thought was a small area near the rear corner, is just one of a few area's

I will just get too the point, my cost for repair is over $12,000

So everyone Please check your roof or like I wanted years ago a RV metal roof carport, that would cost about $2300 and possibly saved me from a disaster.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Javi

every 6 months for us and we keep it covered when not in use. Sorry for your troubles... can you trade it in as is...
Old 02-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Pmedic4

Roof repair $12,000 WOW!

I'm really surprised by that cost.

I've looked at the cost of the EPDM material, and saw it was about $800-1000, and figured another $300-400 in other materials and sealants, but wonder what else you needed? I've seen estimates of 40-60 hours, which would be another $4500, counting materials $6000 total.

Sorry to hear this! Camping isn't too much fun when some of the costs eat up your money.

Also, you mentioned taking better care of the roof - did you clean and protect? How often?

This sounds sort of like the RVer version of "Scared Straight".

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post

I will just get too the point, my cost for repair is over $12,000

So everyone Please check your roof or like I wanted years ago a RV metal roof carport, that would cost about $2300 and possibly saved me from a disaster.
Hansel Sorry to hear this.
I know some have asked why so high. I have had 2 friends last year both had to have damage fixed from a leak in the roof line.
One was slide out and it had to be removed and repaired and roofing replaced.
then once they removed the roofing material more damage was uncovered from another leak.. Short story in excess of $10k
The other friend same issues found a small leak but e4h time it was finished slide pulled out replaced roofing and replaced the partial side near the slide out and the whole back side piece. Bottom line around $11K.
Both Repairs were done at CW in greensboro, NC..
So its not cheap do do these repairs.. when you get into removing & repairing slides and siding, back panels.
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Hansel,

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ight=insurance

This link is the account of our roof damage in June 2013. They replaced all the skylights, refrigerator vent, roof vents, A/C shroud, tank vent covers, EPDM membrane, some molding, all of the A/C ducting from the A/C toward the rear of the trailer and a small bit forward of it, the majority of the 3/8" OSB decking and several of the roof trusses. The total estimate was $8700, but the final cost came in slightly over that. The trailer was a 28' Springdale fifth wheel.

I'm sure there's some inflation as well as some differences in work to be done, but $12000 seems a bit steep. You might want to get another estimate just to be sure. But, yes, it's not cheap to replace an RV roof. almost all of the cost is in labor, materials really aren't that much of the total charge.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Hadn't read this thread. I've been on the rope about either building a building for the RV (about 25,000) or putting it into a completely enclosed storage facility. I'm doing one or the other tomorrow (if building I'll put it in storage for the short term). Thanks for sharing.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
Hansel

Let me give some details, ever since I've owned the unit the front cap where it meet's the rubber roof has always been a problem, I was always resealing it every year too year in a half. I'd been over the years resealing the around all of the vent's, and around the front and rear seam's. Well a few months ago when me and wifey where camping the front wall(head board) area was getting a spongy feeling like the stuff was crumbling apart behind it, but the weird thing was I did not see any signs of water damage, the panel inside the cabinet's was fine so I thought maybe because it was the front of the camper the constant wind slamming into it had cause it too get that way. So I have actually damage in the front and rear.

Now the estimate, over 9K of that is labor ($109) and hour

So I talked with the service guy and he explained that the entire roof would need too come off as well as the front cap and part of the rear, so it is really labor intense.

What makes me upset was 10yrs ago when I bought it I wanted a metal RV carport too store it under too keep it from the rain,snow, and constant sun. So now because I didn't or couldn't get one, my camper is in bad shape.

I just wanted too warn everyone that the recommended inspection of the roof is every 90 days per my RV dealer.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #8
denverpilot

We just paid $3K for a small problem where the nose cap meets the EDPM roof on ours and it wasn't a year old. We were told we didn't maintain it correctly. Warranty = useless. But we knew that would probably be the case.

We get virtually no weather where we live other than a lot of UV at our altitude and wind. We had three total rainstorms and I noticed a wet carpet in the front closet after the third. One of the storms included pea sized hail. That's ALL of the significant weather we've had this year touch it. We've never had more than an inch of snow up there for any significant period of time and it's very dry here. Snow will either melt off quickly on a warm day or will sublimate straight back to water vapor when the wind picks up and the temperature rises.

I was thinking this stuff could be checked on an annual basis and maintained at that pac, but it's looking to me like it may need to be quarterly. Not sure yet.

Th real problem is that the only problem I saw the numerous times I was up there was out at the edge at the rain spout on one side. Either I didn't look close enough or I didn't know what to look for.

Certainly don't want to pay that much every year to fix it.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
cabinfever

After watching a few videos of roofs being repaired and new rubber being put on I do not think it is very difficult, just time consuming. I will be looking a little more when I inspect my roof. Unfortunately I think these problems were caused by little leaks that went undetected.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
After watching a few videos of roofs being repaired and new rubber being put on I do not think it is very difficult, just time consuming. I will be looking a little more when I inspect my roof. Unfortunately I think these problems were caused by little leaks that went undetected.
I watched a few video's myself, and it does seem intimidating but it's something I will try and tackle myself I'm pretty good when it comes too working with wood and building stuff, so we will see.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
I watched a few video's myself, and it does seem intimidating but it's something I will try and tackle myself I'm pretty good when it comes too working with wood and building stuff, so we will see.
Maybe you could take lots of pics along the way to help others who may find themselves in the same situation.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote