Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
Outbackmel

Converter gone bad?

Left out Outback in Williston, FL as we are back in Atlanta only 3 days. Before leaving I winterized the unit.

Here is my issue. Looking for comments.

Everything in the RV was working on electric and battery went down (while plugged into 50amp service). Just replaced the battery a week prior with a new Interstate Deep Cycle. Tell tale it was not the battery, when it got cold overnight, I went out and plugged the unit into the truck and presto, heat exchanger fired up the propane. Since I did that at 6am, I only left the truck running for 15 minutes which was plenty to get the furnace to kick into heat propane mode. Used minimal battery fed lights. Later in the morning, same thing happened.

Called a local recommended RV tech. He was very helpful and affirmed it was 99% a converter issue.

He recommended I go to local NAPA and buy a trickle charger and hook it up while we are back in Atlanta. He said that when we return, the battery should be at 100% (takes less than 24 hours) and the systems will run fine as long as the battery stays charged. Sounds reasonable to me.

Converter on my unit is really EZ to get to and replace. 4 screws, a plug and 3 wires and done.

I called CW and they have the same converter for $280 + tax in stock in the area. American RV on the Internet (California company) has the same one for $175 plus UPS chg. ISSUE for me is whether to buy local and eat the $100 difference or wait for theirs which is on back order until Feb 10th. RV tech seemed to lean towards using the battery tender as a no brainer until a replacement converter arrives...

What would you do?
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
Bob Landry

Battery power goes through the converter before it reached the 12V devices. With the reverse polarity fuses blown, the lights, or anything else 12V would not work, even with the battery on a charger.
The OP seems to be comfortable going into the converter, so my recommendation would be for him to simply replace the converter board and not the entire converter. Other than that, there are going to be placed online that will sell a converter and ship it before the February date mentioned and possible even offer free shipping. JMHO

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
randy69

The converter I bought has 3 year warranty called a boon docker . But before you buy a converter check the 2 fues on the converter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Cnc_hemi

Mine went out on my old Laredo. Switched I over to a progressive dynamics. They make a direct replacement for most makes. And for you bone dockers or dry campers is has a boost mode for when you can run your generator and the best part about them is that it's made in the USA.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote