Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
lifecamper

Water Heater change?

I have a Springdale 5th wheel with a 6 gal hot water heater. Just not enough for my girlfriend. I don't know what she does in there. Is there a 10 gal that will fit? Anybody done this change? What about a propane tank-less anyone changed to one of these? Need all the input I can get.
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you are serious about changing out the 6 gal HWH for a 10 gal one, take the measurements of the opening as well as what space you have at the back of tank. Compare your measurements with that of some 10 gallon tanks. You can find out these dimensions by going online and doing a search of Suburban and Atwood HW tanks.

You should be able to determine whether or not the opening will accommodate a bigger tank.

Tank-less heaters or water-on-demand units are, of course, considerably more expensive. A short search reveals that you could pay twice as much as a regular tank. Some units I found were between $800 - $1100. Add installation costs and you are looking at a fair chunk of change. Also, one Atwood brand I looked at operated only on LP gas which could prove to be inconvenient.

Living and showering in an RV requires some sacrifice. This is not home and you don't have a 60, 80 or 100 gallon HW tank at your disposal. Shorter showers are a way of life in an RV and you shouldn't expect to be able to stand in there for 10-15 minutes or have an unlimited supply of hot water. Maybe some "RV Shower Education" is required?????
( I guess I can suggest that since she's not my girlfriend....LOL)
Old 11-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
lifecamper

What about a 130 degree thermostat ?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
f6bits

If it's not freezing outside, I find that turning on gas *and* electric on my water heater gives me plenty of hot water…with my Oxygenics BodySpa shower head. I'd recommend this route, including the shower head, before attacking the water heater.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
bobbecky

You probably already have a 130 degree thermostat. Like what was already said, turn on both gas and electric at the same time, assuming you have both on your unit. Also, if you have a Suburban water heater, normal annual maintenance is to pull the anode, need to check it's condition. At the same time, flush out the crud from the tank. If the anode is deteriorated, install a new one. Also the gas system on the water heater needs to be checked to make sure it is operating correctly, proper flame and color. If the unit is an Atwood, there is no anode, but the gas portion still needs to be checked. The shower head will also be a big help. Maybe she doesn't know what the shutoff button on the shower head is for?
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Lots of "work around" advice here. Let's look at some numbers to put things in perspective.

1. The suburban HWH with gas and electric operating will provide 16 gallons of hot water per hour (advertised capacity) but if the input water is colder than "normal" it will produce less hot water because it has to heat it to a higher temp from the starting temp.

2. The Keystone shower head uses 2.6 gallons per minute, the Oxygenics uses 2.1 GPM.

3. Doing the math, assuming the 16 gallons of hot water is all immediately available (which it isn't) and the hot water is mixed with 50% cold water, the Keystone shower head will use all available hot water in 9.2 minutes. The oxygenics shower head will use all available hot water in 11.4 minutes.

We can see from the above "calculations" that taking a 15 minute shower is simply out of the question.

BUT

By using the on/off shower head button, we can increase the length of the shower by not "wasting" hot water while soaping, shampooing and scrubbing the shower walls. If you teach your girlfriend to conserve the hot water, it's easy to enjoy a warm shower, shampoo, rinse and still have a touch of hot water left to rinse down the shower walls.

Thinking "logically" when dry camping, it's impossible to carry enough fresh water to take more than one "home type" shower anyway and increasing the size of the water heater will increase the amount of propane used, so in most "camping" situations, a lengthy shower isn't practical no matter how much hot water is available per minute. Plus, if you're in a campground, why not just walk to the bath house where the hot water is "endless" ????? RV's just don't have the capacity for "home type" showers, even with a 10 gallon HWH.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 AM   #7
WaltBennett

Had a TT about 15 years ago that I upgraded from 6 to 10 gallon. It really wasn't that difficult, although I had to trim some wood framing. Can't remember for certain which brand they were, but both were the same. Since I don't recall either having an anode, maybe they were Atwood. The opening in the side of the trailer was very close to the same size, so that wasn't a problem. It was a tight fit, but everything worked out well.

I'd suggest if you're doing it yourself that you buy the new one as neither give the exact dimensions you'll need (other than the opening). Once you've got what you want to put in you can find out how much modification you'll need to do. Otherwise it'll all be guesswork. If you don't damage the new one and find it won't fit, you can always return it.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
Javi

I'd suggest that she google NAVY SHOWER.... That's what I had my DW do and it fixed the hot water shortage.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
jsmith948

X-2 on the 'Navy Showers'
Had the same issue with our grand daughters. Get wet - lather - rinse.
5 minute shower using about 3 minutes of water

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
gkainz

If 6 gallons is insufficient, 10 gallons will also be insufficient. Time for some training and behavior modification.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
WaltBennett

For those of you thinking there's not much difference between 6 and 10 gallons - do the math. There's a huge difference; like 2/3 more hot water.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
gkainz

Huge numerically, but in numbers of minutes under shower, not so much ...

camping novices just don't know that you can't do a 30 minute shower like my daughter used to do ...
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
lifecamper

Got the Oxygenic shower head. Heater is gas only no electric. Just kidding about the girlfriend as I am 63 yo and its just me and the dog full timing it. Can't find a gal that wants to live the RV life. I just would like more hot water.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
f6bits

If you're full-timing and since you're already propane-only, I'd go for the tankless if you can spring the money. It sounds like you have to swap out the water heater anyhow. And since you live in the trailer, enjoy the shower.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
spicercars

My wife and I have a 6 gallon hot water heater and we can shower back to back with no problems. Wet, soap and rinse. Have to shut the water off in between. Even if you had a 10 gallon you cant shower like your at home.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
lifecamper

Ok so going tank-less. I did my hitch in the Navy in 1968 so I know about turning the water off to save water. Now does anyone have some good info on an on-board tank-less to replace my 6 gal. ????
Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

Have you tried to Google "RV tank-less water heaters"? I'm sure you'll find plenty of info there. I did a search of this forum and came up blank.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
f6bits

Girard is the name I keep running across. On sale now for $499 at PPL, plus extra for the proper outside cover.

Two notes of interest:
1) It's propane only, but you already have that. It's kind of a deal-breaker for me since I prefer using electric (quieter, and "free")
2) Instructions say that you need to turn your hot water faucet full on, then adjust temperature by how much COLD you add. This used to concern me until I realized that's what I already do.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 11-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
lifecamper

Thanks to all for the suggestions. The last few parks I've been at are charging for the electric. Not a big issue. Looking in to the Girard. It measures the same as my present heater. Would love to hear from anyone that is using one now.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #20
theeyres

When I turn both electric & gas on I still have to take a fast shower with a 6 gallon tank. When I had a 10 gallon tank and both on, I could take a ten minute shower without running out. So there is a huge difference. But I do agree it still isn't like home. Some people are just unwilling to adjust to life in a trailer or just plain don't like it. Guess time will tell if your girlfriend can or wants to adjust or not.

I know people that have the endless tank type and love it. If you are willing to spend the bucks that may be your answer.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote