Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #21
Sarge2

I feel blessed that mine has an oven that you just turn and push in to "pilot" and then click the "spark knob" and it lights then hold the pilot knob in for a few and then turn it to 400 and it comes to life...
If I had to crawl into the oven for whatever reason, I'd need a grab bar to get off my knees...lol
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Guess Thanksgiving dinner in the camper will be Swanson turkey TV dinners hot out of the microwave. I gotta look into the convection oven thing but I am thinking there isn't enough room for one big enough for an 18" pizza or even that turkey I was thinking about. Actually, we are going camping the next week instead. Will be camping a few days at the Nueces River RV & Cabin Resort. This will be our fourth visit to this campground in Camp Wood Texas. Wrote it up last two times there but not the first which was in our Lance truck camper. Dates where pending because we rely on availability of Julie critter sitter.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...in-resort-3991
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #23
Sarge2

Just enjoy your time away.... Happy Thanksgiving...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #24
Dobbs

Once you get the oven lit you can pretty much ignore the temperatures on the knob. What was 375° yesterday might be 425° today. Get a simple dial oven thermometer. Also mine seems to take a long time to reach temperature which doesn't seem right considering the size of the oven cavity. One more suggestion would be getting a pizza stone to help even the heat. I personally use a small cast iron griddle (12"x12"?) which also helps maintain the temperature.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #25
Kat N Evan

This is a great time for my favorite RV accessory, my high power rechargeable head lamp! Don’t have to juggle a flashlight when doing jobs that require both hands. If you ever see me at a campsite at night, I’ll probably be wearing one! 😀
Kat N Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #26
kenmoffat

Why do they not put the pilot in the front?
kenmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmoffat View Post
Why do they not put the pilot in the front?
It's a small flame and the draft from opening the door can blow it out, so they "tuck it away, way far away" from any drafts.... That's what "they" say, but we all know it's really to make sure lighting the darn then is as difficult as possible for future owners...... On the other hand, I heard that the Marquis de Sade bought controlling interest in the company....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #28
kenmoffat

Both make sense. ��
kenmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:16 AM   #29
Getn off

Reminds me of a funny situation recently.
This is in our new Cyclone btw...
We were all loaded up and about to depart for Gatlinburg for a week. Last rig had residential fridge, but this one is a large rv one. I was worried about it thawing on the long drive so I decided to switch to gas for the journey. Haven’t lit it since pdi and I dont “play” in the kitchen. Actually banned is a better word.
No start and lots of beeps saying no gas. Crap. Checked both tanks. Full. Checked all connections and valves. Seem good. Crap.
Called Lazy Days help line. He walked me through a bunch of stuff and asks me if the other gas lines work, ie stove. I try to light it and nothing, no pilot no nothin. Crap. He tells me its the presser valve.
Well, now we have to get by with a single hot plate for a week, and a mostly thaw fridge. Almost cancel.
Then it dawns on me... when we went through pdi about 3 months before, the tech couldn't get the stove to light. Got another. Same thing. Got a delivery manager and he informs us all that you need to hold down the switch to get the pilot! Lol
I go back in and attempt a correct start and viola, it works.
Apparently had to burp the lines a bit to get the fridge to work. Worked fine and had a great trip.
Just funny that 2 delivery techs couldn't figure out how to start the stove/oven!
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #30
Harried Harry

George, I haven't used an oven, even in the house, to cook a turkey since 1984 when I was reassigned to Germany to work. The range & oven were too small for the 25# bird we were cooking, so I went and bought a 22" Weber kettle. Every year since I have cooked the turkey in the Weber. Comes out great and leaves the kitchen for my wife to do her stuff. BBQ turkey is great, especially if you flavor it with hickory or any fruit wood chips. If you don't want a lot of leftovers, just get a turkey breast and cook it.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harried Harry View Post
George, I haven't used an oven, even in the house, to cook a turkey since 1984 when I was reassigned to Germany to work. The range & oven were too small for the 25# bird we were cooking, so I went and bought a 22" Weber kettle. Every year since I have cooked the turkey in the Weber. Comes out great and leaves the kitchen for my wife to do her stuff. BBQ turkey is great, especially if you flavor it with hickory or any fruit wood chips. If you don't want a lot of leftovers, just get a turkey breast and cook it.
Roger that on the smoker! Every Thanksgiving I'll smoke a bird, couple of racks of ribs, some pork tenderloin, and typically about 10 lbs of beef roast. I use my smoker and the nat. gas grill on the deck and some years had to use the Smoke Hollow from the trailer as well. Pack it all up in coolers and lug it to our DD house as she does the rest of the meal.

If you've never tried it I'd highly recommend the Jack Daniels wood ships. They are made from the whisky barrels and I've been hooked on them for years now.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #32
notanlines

Harry, I'm with all of you with the smoker, but next time ditch the turkey breast and smoke about turkey 6 leg quarters instead. Many, many more people are dark meat fans and the dark accepts the hickory flavor much more than the breast. Take it from me, however. Smoked turkey makes TERRIBLE turkey pot pie.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #33
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Roger that on the smoker! Every Thanksgiving I'll smoke a bird, couple of racks of ribs, some pork tenderloin, and typically about 10 lbs of beef roast. I use my smoker and the nat. gas grill on the deck and some years had to use the Smoke Hollow from the trailer as well. Pack it all up in coolers and lug it to our DD house as she does the rest of the meal.

If you've never tried it I'd highly recommend the Jack Daniels wood ships. They are made from the whisky barrels and I've been hooked on them for years now.
For a real treat marinade them in JD overnight before smoking.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
For a real treat marinade them in JD overnight before smoking.
And drink what doesn't fit in the marinade container!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Ok, OK....since it's sort of along the lines of an oven (and turkey, and Thanksgiving ).

Bought a new small smoker this year; Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett. Bought it for portability and the ability to actually smoke something on the road without a 5k lb. barrel/smokestacks in the back somewhere. We have been extremely pleased.

Smoked 2 8lb. turkey breasts side by side w/the GMG Texas? blend pellets...it was a home run all round with everyone. No one loves the heavy smoke from a traditional wood smoker as I've always used and I never loved tending the fire forever. Now it's set it and forget it with a smoke flavor that is just right for us. Don't sell em and don't work for em but it's a dandy little smoker. Now that JB? It's probably still sitting in my SIL's cupboard since I only use true blue "Barnyard Pimp" chicken rub or "High Plains BBQ Dust" for pork and chicken from Pancho and Lefty. Gotta go with the good stuff I save my beverage for ME!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #36
bobbecky

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Fortunately, I have managed, with much practice, to learn the art of lighting our oven. I have to get on my knees sideways to the oven, and with a flashlight and a butane lighter I can light the pilot light. I've learned to push the end of the lighter against the part that the gas comes out of for the pilot flame so the end of the lighter isn't wandering, and then I can push and hold the pilot knob. After what seems like 5 minutes, but is really maybe 30 seconds, I pull the lighter out and get down to look, hopefully for the little flame, and lately I have success. I does take practice, but it can be done.
Several years ago, on one of these forums, and the discussion was also about lighting the pilot flame, someone posted directions on lighting the pilot flame and it is below:

Lighting RV oven pilot light

Get a butane mini torch, easy to use, then sit back, relax, get on your knees, tilt your head till it hurts, push in the knob at the same time while holding the lighter, re-focus your bi-focals, turn on some music, this will drown out your DW asking if you have it lit yet, and after locking up your knees and your neck, drag yourself up, off the floor, readjust your glasses and head to Olive Garden for dinner and a few drinks!!!!!come back, get some rest and try again. Oh, did I mention this is the hardest thing to lite and good luck...
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote