Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
kparker

New 5th wheel sewer back-up

We have a new 253FWRE Springdale and currently using it for the first time. Our sewer is full and can see waste when you try to flush the bowl. The panel shows clear and I have opened the valve multiple times. I only see one valve open for the black water and again, we have opened the valve multiple times. I plan on using the back flush tomorrow, but curious if I am missing another valve etc.. we have had a camper for years and can’t imagine I have missed something but...any thoughts? 2020 5th wheel
kparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Panel shows “clear”? You mean empty?

If your positive the waste valve is opening, then you may have an obstruction at the tank outlet. I don’t know that I would add anymore liquid. Does your toilet dump straight down or make 2 45 degree turns? I would start with a drain snake down the toilet first.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #3
kparker

Thank you for the reply. Monitors show empty so it must be a clog at the opening. I did have some waste empty when I initially opened the valve, but it is definitely full.
kparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If the tank is indeed full and the panel says empty, then you need to get it into the dealer for warranty repair. You have lost the ground for the tank sensors.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Javi

Just because the valve is marked BLACK doesn't mean it actually is the black tank valve. Have you tried opening any of the other valves.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
travelin texans

DO NOT add more water through the flush line til you get it dumped & do not try to flush the toilet til you get it dumped, you may get a nasty face full.
You should have at least 2 valves, 1 black & 1 grey with the possibility of a 2nd grey valve that may be difficult to locate.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Its likely a good idea to dump gray and black tanks at the same time as the fluids from the gray tank help flush the plumbing and what is in the black tank down into the sewer. The commend about mis-labled valves needs to be considered as well. I have had things mislabled from the factory on another camper I owned.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:02 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker View Post
Thank you for the reply. Monitors show empty so it must be a clog at the opening. I did have some waste empty when I initially opened the valve, but it is definitely full.
Okay, in the light of day I've now looked up your trailer's specs... you have a single grey water tank and a single black tank... It is extremely common for the valve handles to be mislabeled from the factory.. In fact it's so common that it is a standard joke on many forums of many different brand trailers.

The good news is... pull the other handle...

As for indicator lights on the panel... they are generic (mine has two blacks, and two greys) and only two of them will actually indicated anything beyond empty most of the time.. push another one and see what shows up.. It also isn't unusual for the panel to be mixed up.. not as often as the valves but still it happens..
Old 11-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
cavie

Quote:
Sensors are famous for not working. What you ave may be a Poo Pile. A pile of dried Poo caused by not using enough water in the toilet. Also caused by leaving the black water gate valve open when attached to the sewer. Never leave it open unless dumping. You will have to call a professional pump-out service. When he comes, put as much water in the tank as possible.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:22 PM   #10
mgreene

My buddy has had this issue twice with his TT. It was due to a child using way too much tp and the line between the tank and toilet got plugged. Drain snake, old water hose, or in his case, a metal clothes hanger done the trick! Good luck!
Old 11-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreene View Post
My buddy has had this issue twice with his TT. It was due to a child using way too much tp and the line between the tank and toilet got plugged. Drain snake, old water hose, or in his case, a metal clothes hanger done the trick! Good luck!
I wouldn't recommend using a drain snake in a rv! Plastic piping going into a shallow plastic tank could cause more problems that it cures. I'd use an old hose & throw it away afterwards.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #12
notanlines

OP, you've gotten good advice, with particular attention to not using a snake. A snake is bad news in an RV. And the guy whose child caused the grief? He needs to poop in the woods! Maybe give him a little guidance also. Be sure to keep us up on your progress.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

With those insights, you can buy what is referred to as a MAGIC WAND. You drag a hose into the camper with the wand attached and it has a head that whirls around and the wand is flexible. I open my drain and clean my black tank out every now and again. Of course, this is before the tank clean out affairs on more modern campers. I am not sure how effective the "black tank flush" gizmos are on campers so equipped. I can move my wand around but the "black tank flush" is likely fixed on the far side of the tank (just guessing) and shoots water in the direction of the drain.

I you are a rifle owner and have a flexible bore rod, you mght poke around gently as well (this has never occurred to me before so do this at your own risk).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
With those insights, you can buy what is referred to as a MAGIC WAND. You drag a hose into the camper with the wand attached and it has a head that whirls around and the wand is flexible. I open my drain and clean my black tank out every now and again. Of course, this is before the tank clean out affairs on more modern campers. I am not sure how effective the "black tank flush" gizmos are on campers so equipped. I can move my wand around but the "black tank flush" is likely fixed on the far side of the tank (just guessing) and shoots water in the direction of the drain.

I you are a rifle owner and have a flexible bore rod, you mght poke around gently as well (this has never occurred to me before so do this at your own risk).
Great idea George!! Any idea what caliber brush to put on there to "auger" out the possible clog? Heck just think about it, after cleaning your gun you would have "scented" bullets!!! "It just occurred to me"....cracks me up!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #15
gordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreene View Post
YEP,
On a trip for my wife's 50th, a friend's kids thought that it was neater than ****,poop, pun intended, how you could use TP in a trailer. 2 rolls to be exact.

Finally got home, ran a hose into the pot and started pouring the water to it. FINALLY, the paper mache plug broke loose.

Like OP, I could see the paper from the top.
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #16
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
What you have may be a Poo Pile.
I will be (unpleasantly) amazed if that is the problem in a brand new trailer that has never been emptied.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:09 AM   #17
Dave fromRockcliffeTheSea

Quote:
We have a new 253FWRE Springdale and currently using it for the first time. Our sewer is full and can see waste when you try to flush the bowl. The panel shows clear and I have opened the valve multiple times. I only see one valve open for the black water and again, we have opened the valve multiple times. I plan on using the back flush tomorrow, but curious if I am missing another valve etc.. we have had a camper for years and can’t imagine I have missed something but...any thoughts? 2020 5th wheel
Are you using RV toilet paper. I used regular TP, but only once. Had to use a stick and a hose and push the pile out the drain pipe. Not fun. Best of luck.

Tags
5th wheel, sewer