Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2020, 06:28 AM   #1
aricker243

Power Ratchet for emergency slide use

Anybody carry a cordless power ratchet for... use to move your main slides in-case of a motor/elec failure? I have a cutout underneath for access to the 5/8 nut for emergency use. (There is no thru frame access)

slide is lippert rack/pin 2x2

if anyone has any suggestions, lay it on me.

(I have one, but it's only rated at 40# of torque and isn't enough to turn the motor)
aricker243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
LewisB

You didn't give any information about your rig;
  • For emergency operation of our 3 cable actuated slide outs we use a normal cordless drill for operation of the overhead motors at each slide. For an alternative, we can also use the following procedure.
  • For emergency operation of our hydraulic Level-Up system, I use the onboard generator and a 3/8" electric drill motor. My setup requires a 90" angle gear to reach the end of the motor, so I have two of those on hand. We do this because it takes thousands of revolutions (seems like, but probably a gross exaggeration) to move the rams very far and there are 6 rams.
  • You should be able to find one of the newer 20V cordless devices that has the torque to turn the motor.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:54 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum : wlcm:

You’ll find most most cordless drills don’t have the torque needed and using one with enough would probably involve an impact gun. A socket on a decent length ratchet works good (BTDT) and is much easier to carry. I’m not so sure I want my gearbox getting “hammered” with an impact anyway.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
aricker243

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum : wlcm:

You’ll find most most cordless drills don’t have the torque needed and using one with enough would probably involve an impact gun. A socket on a decent length ratchet works good (BTDT) and is much easier to carry. I’m not so sure I want my gearbox getting “hammered” with an impact anyway.
I agree on the impact. I was hoping a variable speed ratchet would work best. like the first person to respond said..... it's thousands of revolutions.
aricker243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
LewisB

Sorry if my first post was misleading - I too would not want to use an impact driver on the electric motors. What I was trying to point out is that modern cordless tools have the ability to generate a lot of torque (LIKE an impact). So you should be able to find a cordless DRILL or other device that will have the strength to do the work. Good luck on your search.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Sorry if my first post was misleading - I too would not want to use an impact driver on the electric motors. What I was trying to point out is that modern cordless tools have the ability to generate a lot of torque (LIKE an impact). So you should be able to find a cordless DRILL or other device that will have the strength to do the work. Good luck on your search.
I know on my 20V Dewalt drill if it's set in drill mode (max torgue) it will feel like it's going to break your wrist if it locks up.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I know on my 20V Dewalt drill if it's set in drill mode (max torgue) it will feel like it's going to break your wrist if it locks up.
Same with my RIDGID 18V drill. On low speed, it'll twist out of your hand if it binds and you don't have the "accessory handle" on it. It's a "two handed drill" on "max torque".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

I don't have a cable slide and couldn't get a drill into position (LACK OF CLEARANCE) to manually retract or open my slide. I carry the appropriate hand tools and pray I never have to get under the frame to do the job. I have no hole in the side of the camper to insert a long reach extension type tool; frame blocks that strategy. I recommend the OP put together a signature with year, make and model for his camper AND towing vehicle so his requests for info would have a bit of context. This can be done by clicking on the UserCP button at the top/left of each page and finding the signature button.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, slide