Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
CrazyCain

New Tires on TV, need help on tire pressure when towing

So I pulled the trigger today and got a set of new tires for my 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab.
Now I am confused on what pressure I should run them at when pulling my Trailer. Instead of typing all the specs, i will try and attach pictures of them

Tires are Michelin Agilis Cross climate LT265/70 R17 121R E1, replaced Cooper AT3 P26570R17
Specs:

I am always under the GVWR ( been to the scales)on both TT and Truck, but for kicks, if i am max load, should i run the full Max air Pressure on the tires when towing? Tried to figure this out myself but Nope!!!

Oh and Discount tire set them at 44 psi for daily driving, i guess..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cold tire.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	30398   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck weight specs.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	30399   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer specs.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	30400   Click image for larger version

Name:	load tires.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	30401  

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
meaz93*

I think to each their own, but on my 2014 F150 Max Tow/Payload Pack/OffRoad Pack 4x4 EcoBoost I have 275/65/18 E rated truck tires that I personally run 45#'s cold. My Outback 328RL has 225/75/15 E rated tires that I run at 80#'s cold when towing.
Works great for me....ohh and 50#'s in the Loadlifter 5000's[emoji106]Click image for larger version

Name:	20200706_181315.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	30403
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
Eastham

If it is the original size tire that came with the truck. I run the pressure that is posted on the door. That pressure will support the weight the truck was designed to carry and give a decent ride. In my case it is 60lbs in the front and 80 I'm the rear.that is what I run towing or not towing.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
If it is the original size tire that came with the truck. I run the pressure that is posted on the door. That pressure will support the weight the truck was designed to carry and give a decent ride. In my case it is 60lbs in the front and 80 I'm the rear.that is what I run towing or not towing.

oh, the original size where P24570R17, ran the cooper AT3 after that P26570R17

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 10-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Tom you've gone from the OE tires to the LT tires and upsized the tires from what I can tell. For me, obviously the 35psi on the door wouldn't work towing a trailer. Now you have the heavier tires (stiffer). Your trailer isn't that heavy (4460). In my mind the suspension of a 1/2 ton needs help from the tires with any trailer of any size. With that in mind I think I would run daily at 44psi like they set it and push it to maybe 50psi loaded and see what that does. I'm kind of a "seat of the pants" kind of guy so drive it, feel it then adjust accordingly. I wouldn't go below 50 or so loaded though I don't think. You've probably looked at this but here's a link to the Michelin load chart if interested (I don't use them )-

https://www.michelintruck.com/refere...tion-tables/#/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Tom you've gone from the OE tires to the LT tires and upsized the tires from what I can tell. For me, obviously the 35psi on the door wouldn't work towing a trailer. Now you have the heavier tires (stiffer). Your trailer isn't that heavy (4460). In my mind the suspension of a 1/2 ton needs help from the tires with any trailer of any size. With that in mind I think I would run daily at 44psi like they set it and push it to maybe 50psi loaded and see what that does. I'm kind of a "seat of the pants" kind of guy so drive it, feel it then adjust accordingly. I wouldn't go below 50 or so loaded though I don't think. You've probably looked at this but here's a link to the Michelin load chart if interested (I don't use them )-

https://www.michelintruck.com/refere...tion-tables/#/
Good info Danny, thanks!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 10-21-2020, 05:10 PM   #7
LERD

I just pulled the trigger on a new set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W just last Wednesday and set off on our last trip of the year on Thursday. I'm pulling a Copper Canyon 25FWRLS with an f-150 ecoboost. I figure my pin weight at about 1300 lbs, and our payload is 1700 lbs. Yes I know I'm over budgeted. So that's why I upgraded to the E rated tires and I set my pressure at 60 psi for all 4 tires. That pressure worked quite well. Since I already installed a set of Timbrens last year, my old tires were the last weak link to shore up. Well it worked. I'm pleased on how well it towed. Especially since we had high winds going out and coming back home. Since we're done towing for a while, I dropped the pressure to 55 psi. But I'm thinking of taking it down even more to 50 psi. 60 psi is plenty for 1/2 ton towing. 80 psi would be like having a concrete tire. It's just not heavy enough to off set that kind of pressure.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
CrazyCain

Results

Well pulled the trailer with the new TV tires today. A few adjustments to the tire pressure and the end result was 50 psi all around. Smooth sailing, the truck handles great and towed awesome. Thanks for all the advice guys.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
:
Old 10-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I just pulled the trigger on a new set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W just last Wednesday and set off on our last trip of the year on Thursday. I'm pulling a Copper Canyon 25FWRLS with an f-150 ecoboost. I figure my pin weight at about 1300 lbs, and our payload is 1700 lbs. Yes I know I'm over budgeted. So that's why I upgraded to the E rated tires and I set my pressure at 60 psi for all 4 tires. That pressure worked quite well. Since I already installed a set of Timbrens last year, my old tires were the last weak link to shore up. Well it worked. I'm pleased on how well it towed. Especially since we had high winds going out and coming back home. Since we're done towing for a while, I dropped the pressure to 55 psi. But I'm thinking of taking it down even more to 50 psi. 60 psi is plenty for 1/2 ton towing. 80 psi would be like having a concrete tire. It's just not heavy enough to off set that kind of pressure.
I think that pin weight is an advertised empty trailer pin weight. I'd suggest a visit to the scales to see just how far " over budgeted" you really are.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
LERD

The advertised pin weight was just under 1100 I think, something like that. I just weighed what we put in and referenced the ratio from there. I think it was 7100 lbs empty, so my ratio was about 15%. So yeah, I'm guessing. I planned on weighing it this past summer, but what a dumpster fire this year has been. I have a class A CDL and I tow all the time for work so I've got a good handle on staying safe. I just need another year or year and a half before I can upgrade the TV. While I'm thinking about it, do you feel your TV will pull a regular Montana. We're really liking the 3120rls. I know the Super Duty I'm looking at will have a payload in the mid 4k pound range, so we're good there. But I'm definitely looking very hard at the 7.3l gas with the 4:30 rear end. Plus, I doubt I'll have the max cargo capacity on the trailer. We're going to be part-timers, probably 6-7 months a year.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
The advertised pin weight was just under 1100 I think, something like that. I just weighed what we put in and referenced the ratio from there. I think it was 7100 lbs empty, so my ratio was about 15%. So yeah, I'm guessing. I planned on weighing it this past summer, but what a dumpster fire this year has been. I have a class A CDL and I tow all the time for work so I've got a good handle on staying safe. I just need another year or year and a half before I can upgrade the TV. While I'm thinking about it, do you feel your TV will pull a regular Montana. We're really liking the 3120rls. I know the Super Duty I'm looking at will have a payload in the mid 4k pound range, so we're good there. But I'm definitely looking very hard at the 7.3l gas with the 4:30 rear end. Plus, I doubt I'll have the max cargo capacity on the trailer. We're going to be part-timers, probably 6-7 months a year.
You don't list your year Copper Canyon 25FWRLS so when I was looking the few years I looked at were a heavier pin weight. Unlike a box trailer or tanker in the RV industry the "empty" weight is the weight as it came off the manufacturing floor. That weight doesn't include the dealer installed items such as the propane tanks, batteries, spare tire, etc.

You also have to factor in the weight of the hitch and anything else that has been installed or placed into the truck against the truck's payload. I don't know which "Super Duty" you are looking at as Ford calls everything between a F250 to an F450 with dual or single rear wheels and many trim levels for all of them.
The quote "Plus, I doubt I'll have the max cargo capacity on the trailer." can be a slippery slope. Most folks that get into RVs tend to experience "weight creep" where the stuff accumulates and before you know it you end up pushing the trailer's weight limits. Just speaking from my personal experience and observations.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
LERD

I understand about that slippery slope. I'm looking at the F-350 SRW CCSB. With the right equipment, the payload will be about 4400 lbs. The Montana stops at 16k, and the empty pin weight is 20% of the unloaded weight. So travel pin weight would be 3200 lbs. I plan on using the Anderson hitch and the wife and I, well I won't get into that! Lol. So I know the payload is good, and Ford says this truck with that engine and axle will tow 20k pounds gooseneck and 18k pounds as a 5th wheel. I'm just still just a little unsure about fuel choice. But I'm sure it'll be a good fit. If I was full time, I would definitely go diesel. I guess I'm just working my thought process out loud. Sorry about that. But I always appreciate everyone's help and experience.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

There have been many, many diesel vs gas discussions, some very recently. There's plenty of opinions and lot's of available discussions. Bottom line in my thinking is what it's worth to you and how you will use it.

Tags
tires, tow, towing