Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
mj5150

2017 Raptor 412TS - furnace return question

I'm curious if anyone has blocked off the space under the stairs from the underbelly compartment.

When I pull the bottom grate off, I can see the furnace and what looks like an intake to the right side.

We're dealing with some mice getting into this area under the stairs. I was thinking about cutting a board to fit that opening and tacking it in to keep the mice on the other side of this opening. I'm referring to mounting the board to the steel studs up next to the furnace, not up where I removed the grate.
Per that vent/fan on the right side of the furnace, I would cut a hole so as not to impede air flow there.

We've successfully eliminated mice before, but this is the first time they came in this area.

I've come to learn from reading this website and others that an RV furnace does not operate like a traditional home furnace, so there is no true 'air return'. Still, air flow is necessary for the furnace to function as best it can.
In addition to keeping the mice out of this area, blocking off that opening would help stop the cold draft that blows in from this spot. Some nights we have the furnace running, which does a great job warming the coach, but then you can feel the cold air blowing in on your feet anyway.

I have always appreciated the help and kind words from y'all since we bought our Raptor in 2017. More than a few times, the advice I have received here either directly or indirectly has gotten is out of a tight spot, so thank you.

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, raptor