Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #21
RBH

DJCST36
If you want the fridge to run off the inverter, you have the option to install a transfer switch behind your panel that sits between shore power, your inverter and the panel. This will then provide power from the inverter to your AC panel and power everything including the fridge when you are not connected to shore power. This is more complicated install but is the typical way an inverter is used in RVs. The 3 outlet scenario we have been talking about is Keystones way of making it easier and it does if you can live with the 3 outlets. You will need to give some thought to your battery bank size depending on what you want to run.
Britt
RBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH View Post
DJCST36
If you want the fridge to run off the inverter, you have the option to install a transfer switch behind your panel that sits between shore power, your inverter and the panel. This will then provide power from the inverter to your AC panel and power everything including the fridge when you are not connected to shore power. This is more complicated install but is the typical way an inverter is used in RVs. The 3 outlet scenario we have been talking about is Keystones way of making it easier and it does if you can live with the 3 outlets. You will need to give some thought to your battery bank size depending on what you want to run.
Britt
Yes if your going that route then it’s exponentially more expensive. Because you will be feeding the entire panel or trying to decide which breakers to leave off so you don’t overwhelm your inverter. Your talking thousands instead of under a $1000
Old 01-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #23
jasin1

Most people either Leave the lp on for the refigerator or get it cold then shut off while driving and keep closed until you arrive at next campground. If it’s a factory residential refrigerator I believe it will have a dedicated inverter just for the refrigerator from the factory but I could be wrong on that
Old 01-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #24
jasin1

Keystone couldn’t have made it more simple unless they installed the inverter themselves

It only takes a few hours if that to install
Old 01-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #25
jasin1

I used two Trojan 100 amp hour golf cart batteries also. It’s a relatively bulletproof system with quality components that can be installed by someone with basic electrical knowledge. Don Rowe sells pre made battery wires to connect to the inverter and the other wires are already installed by keystone..it will give you Everything you need to boondock for a day or so..I also bought a 200watt renogy suitcase solar panel. They are great to work with also. Anything more then the three outlets and you should just go with lithium batteries and GOPower or victron large inverters but again your talking thousands
Old 01-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH View Post
Thanks All, looks like we have this one surrounded

I am installing an existing inverter I had and it is does not have the built in transfer switch so I am installing the Xantrex PRO Watt transfer switch to tie the Romex into the inverter and manage those 3 outlets.

https://www.amazon.ca/Xantrex-808091...86925911&psc=1

Britt
Last thing ...make sure to install a true sine wave inverter. It’s much cleaner electric for sensitive electronics

Tags
passport, solar