Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 04:20 AM   #1
roadglide

Tank question

I have 3 tanks on my Toy hauler . The shower tank always fills first the gallery tank never fills both tanks are at the same level . I have a safety dump valve on the main pipe . I have been thinking O No but if I pull both gray water valves would that make more storage in the shower tank ?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I have 3 tanks on my Toy hauler . The shower tank always fills first the gallery tank never fills both tanks are at the same level . I have a safety dump valve on the main pipe . I have been thinking O No but if I pull both gray water valves would that make more storage in the shower tank ?
That's called "equalizing the tanks" and is a common practice to extend dry camping trips. As long as your trailer gray tanks are all connected to a common sewer outlet, if you put a terminal valve at the drain, you can open both (or 3 or 4 if you have that many gray tanks) drain valves and the gray water will "equalize level" between all the gray tanks. That will give you "additional storage for the shower tank" that usually fills first by draining some of that water to the galley tank.

I do it all the time when we take our week long fishing trips in remote campgrounds in the UP. Our trailer has two 28 gallon gray tanks (56 gal total). We almost always wash dishes outside and the galley tank may only have 8 or 10 gallons in it. By equalizing the tanks, our 28 gallon bathroom tank actually becomes a 56 gallon tank. Sure makes for extended stays with much improved waste water storage....

One (the only one I've found) disadvantage: You have to "tow extremely heavy" with all the gray tanks full... That makes a "long trip down a bouncy 1 lane gravel road to the nearest dump station, 30 miles away, a not so pleasant experience if someone tries it with a "half ton trailer connected to a true half ton truck".....

So, watch your trailer GVW, it's the only drawback for "true remote camping trips and equalizing your tanks".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
LewisB

As John described, yes you can equalize your gray tanks. I would add that you should close both gray tank valves after this equalization so that when you visit the dump station, you don't end up dumping all your gray water before you do the black.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
Javi

I've done this for years when we stay at campgrounds without sewer hookups.. Even though I also carry a 35 gallon portable dump tank... it prevents me having to make that long SLOW drive to the dump station every day... Try as I may the DW refuses to take a Navy shower or less than two full baths a day... Damn glad the new trailer has two big gray tanks..

Tags
tank