Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
HammerToe

Problems- no +12V at NEW (replaced) trailer connector

Here's my problem I was wondering and would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out:*2005 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crew Cab.*Replaced broken*7 pin*RV trailer connector.*Everything did seem to be wired up correctly and I'm pretty sure it's all okay.*Of specific note -*tested with a voltmeter and had 12 V between 'the big red wire'*and 'black wire' (ground)*during the replacement process.*When the connector was all bundled up and I was pushing it back into its mounting (stock)*mounting bracket,*there was a slight spark*from one of the screws that one*was supposed to tighten up to keep the contacts from rotating on the barrel of the trailer connector.*The result:*now I no longer have*12 V*between the two wires.*I checked 2 10 amp fuses*in the instrument panel fuse box.*One of them was blown and I replaced it.*Checked a*15 amp fuse*in the fuse under the hood and it was okay also.*The only other thing I can 'see*their'*is something*at/labeled 'Stud number two -*30 amp max'.*I'm not sure what the heck that is even or how to test it or where I might be able to get a new one.*Can anyone help me out -*would be much appreciated.*Supposed to go camping a week this coming Monday and need to get this working.*I figure it's probably and hopefully something simple - just need to be able to get 12 bolts back there between those two wires. Might there be another fuse or something somewhere? Thanks!*
HammerToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
tech740

You may have to start checking the wire itself. Not sure if those have disable links also or maybe it was enough to break the wire.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
ChuckS

Sounds like the fuse for stud #2 is blown since you shorted it out at back of truck...

With stud #2 fuse blown you will have no 12 vdc power at 7 way RV connection

Fuse you blew ....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wirthco-E...-30A/286480896
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D46AC9BB-3E47-46CA-8C37-82F485D451B0.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	29629   Click image for larger version

Name:	A6C84446-5787-43CD-9FD4-6B0BA9CA8084.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	29630  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
ChuckS

Better image of stud #2 30 amp MAX Style fuse that is blown in fuse box under your hood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC1E8496-D3E3-4534-8530-92C59E08D219.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	29632  
Old 09-06-2020, 04:01 AM   #5
HammerToe

THANKS! VERY MUCH! I think you’re probably right about the source of the problem. I was really a bit ‘worried’ about what I might have done and how expensive it might wind up being if I had to pay somebody to DIAGNOSE IT and discover something which was really pretty simple. I’m scheduled to leave for four weeks camping on September 14th and I really wanted to get away what with everything that’s been going on in the world with this Covid 19 thing. And I’m 75 years old and while I am highly, highly technical and can generally speaking figure anything out, it can be EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING AND IRRITATING when things like this happen. I should’ve done it properly in the first place - this will ‘teach me’ to disconnect the darn battery cable first before I undertake things like this (I knew I should have but decided to take a chance and risk it - did manage to ‘spark’ the +12 old line once or twice with no problem and I still don’t know why it sparked when after everything was all put together and I was simply trying to install the new plug back in its mount. But the fuse you pointed out is I think a ‘slow blow’ one and it probably just tolerated it the first couple of times. I’ve never ‘come across’ nor have I ever bought any replacement fuses of this form factor before so they are kind of new to me and I wasn’t even sure how in the heck to test it or anything. But again, I strongly suspect you’re right and thanks again. To be sure I can get a replacement, I just placed an order on Amazon CANADA to have some shipped to me JUST IN CASE I might not be able to get one locally that easy, though I think I probably will be able to find a replacement - will try today. Things get exponentially more irritating when they don’t work right as you get older and older. I should have (again) disconnected the battery AND just gone ahead and ‘bit the bullet’ and displaced on 12 to 18 inches of wiring onto the ends of the existing wiring so that I could have run them through the connector barrel and wired everything up, perhaps with soldered on lug connectors and so on and done the job right from the start. But that would’ve meant that I would have to run around and find a whole pile of stuff and spent a lot of time laying down on the ground doing work that I thought I could avoid. It seems you invariably get into trouble if you don’t take the time to do things right! Thanks again, and sorry for the duplicate posts - just couldn’t figure out what might be the best of the two forms to post in. Thanks.
HammerToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:08 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

From my experiences get in a hurry usually gets me in trouble. Takes longer as well if you have to go back and repeat what you’ve done. Unless it’s a true “emergency” then I find it best to take your time, plan it out, and walk away for a few minutes if start getting frustrated.

One thing that’s helped me tremendously is my smart phone. I will take photos of stuff I take apart, things I want to replace, model/serial number stickers for later searches. I’ve also documented contents of camper as well as our house and saved them to a memory card that’s placed in our safe with a copy in the safety deposit box at the bank.

A few years ago our camper was vandalized and damaged while in storage. It took me less than an hour to give the insurance adjuster and police a full itemized list of items stolen as well as “before and after” pics of the camper. Made a bad experience a lot less stressful.

This is just what works for me, YMMV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:11 AM   #7
ChuckS

NAPA parts stores in Canada should carry this 30 amp fuse in stock...

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/BKB7822028

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel