Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
ewbldavis

Winegard Gateway and data plans

Hey all,

I tried searching internet and gateway, with little results. Has anyone purchased the Winegard Gateway and setup a plan?

Verizon told me they don't support the device...even though Winegard advertises VZW and AT&T. We tend to hotspot phones for TV, but I'm looking into remote working and like the apparent setup with the Gateway.

Any input on this specific device and how you were able to set it up?

I haven't purchased yet - so researching options.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
dalamarjj78

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed this post hasn't gotten any replies as I was wondering the same thing.

Our 2021 Bullet came with a Winegard omnidirectional antenna pre-installed and the service department spoke very highly about having the option of adding a gateway router for wifi/4g.

I work remotely full time and with my wife homeschooling our kids during the pandemic we're searching for a cost efficient way of getting reliable internet so we can do some travelling in these crazy times.

However, I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a $300 router that may (or may not) provide us with the reliable connection we need.

Not to mention, I've found very little useful information online about the system. Even Amazon's reviews are oddly vague and unhelpful.

I'd really like to know if the system works as well as advertised and how Winegard's data coverage compares to the AT&T / Verizon options.

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:03 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

There have been many posts on this forum on this subject. Typically from what I can recall it's been a lot of "too expensive" or "I've already got a better plan" type of replies. I think the silence speaks volumes.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Perhaps taking a few minutes to look through this specific forum and note there are MANY discussions of this subject and most have:
1. Folks paying too much for capped big telco plans

2. Folks with grandfathered plans you can't get any longer

3. Posts about services not many have tried with "what I use" responses (usually fall in the category 1 or 2)
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #5
behrmr

I bought the Winegard GW-1000 Gateway 4G LTE WiFi Router for my 5W Cougar and set it up. I have 1 trip in with it.

Installation was super easy and just took a couple of wire nuts and 4 screws. There's no pre-made connector for power but there's a 12VDC harness that is right there bundled with the harness for the unit inside the cutout behind their little plate. Remove the plate, pull the harness down, cut your battery power. Then cut the 12vdc harness (green is positive on mine) and then wire nut it all back together. Pull their wiress through the hole in the bracket, connect it together, then secure the bracket so the hole is centered over the hole in the ceiling. Put 4 new screws through the bracket into the ceiling to secure the bracket. Insert your SIM and snap the router into the bracket.

Follow the instructions to configure the router using your mobile device and their free Connected app.

I already have a VZW plan with unlimited shared data so I called them and gave them the IMEI for the router and they shipped me a pre-configured SIM card. You put the SIM card in it and then use the app to switch the internet source to "4G" and it links up to VZW automatically.

I set it all up in my driveway where I get very good VZW signal to test. The router itself works fine and gave me a strong signal even when inside of my house through the garage door/walls/etc. It also allows you to have a "guest" SSID which is nice.

You can switch the internet source to "WiFi" and then scan for a wireless network and link to that. The router will then use that for internet instead of 4G. That also worked well at my house.

When we went camping this past trip we were in a known very fringe VZW area. People with VZW phones were getting no data signal. My Winegard, however, was connecting. It was in and out but more usable than just using cellular data on my phone. I forgot to take the Winegard provided SIM with me this trip or I would have activated it and tried it as I believe the carrier behind it is AT&T.

I also hooked it up to the campground's WiFi but their WiFi was worse than the VZW signal and we were directly under their repeater tower. I don't know how campgrounds WiFi can be so bad... The Winegard unit claims it can work with a captive WiFi at a campground but the place we stayed was just "open".

A big benefit is that you can configure all of your devices to connect to YOUR private router instead of the campground's WiFi. Then you don't have to change it again when you move to the next campground. AND it firewalls you off from the rest of the campground.

This is not a very technical review but more of a working use case from my one experience.

It will require a few more trips to know if it was worth it but I figured with the amount of money we spend on camping, $275 is a drop in the bucket. If it doesn't work out I'll try another solution and just use the existing holes where the Winegard unit is for new antennas.
behrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #6
K_N_L

I have been working remotely for the past month as we travel, and have had good success with campground WIFI so far. I installed a King WIFI repeater which has worked better that I thought it would, relaying my work PC, along with the IPad and Roku while we are stationary. We have a limited AT&T plan for our phones, and Onstar (AT&T) unlimited plan ($15 a month) in the truck , in addition to my work phone (also AT&T) which allow me to balance out the data plan usage and avoid overage charges. If I was going to be RV remote working for any length of time, I would look to build something more like these guys did.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #7
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There have been many posts on this forum on this subject. Typically from what I can recall it's been a lot of "too expensive" or "I've already got a better plan" type of replies. I think the silence speaks volumes.
I figured and tried to find some of them. I got a couple, but the search feature on these forums leaves alot to be desired with how it filters results .

The 360+ and Gateway are a little newer technology, so I wanted info specific to this device.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
I figured and tried to find some of them. I got a couple, but the search feature on these forums leaves alot to be desired with how it filters results .

The 360+ and Gateway are a little newer technology, so I wanted info specific to this device.
You might try the Google search engine. Go to Google.com and search "what ever you're looking for and Keystone Forum".
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:04 PM   #9
Slkennedy3

Hi, are there any videos of this floating around? You make it sound easy but I don’t have much experience with electrical stuff and would like to see it done before trying it myself. Thanks
Slkennedy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #10
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
I have to say that I'm a little disappointed this post hasn't gotten any replies as I was wondering the same thing.

Our 2021 Bullet came with a Winegard omnidirectional antenna pre-installed and the service department spoke very highly about having the option of adding a gateway router for wifi/4g.

I work remotely full time and with my wife homeschooling our kids during the pandemic we're searching for a cost efficient way of getting reliable internet so we can do some travelling in these crazy times.

However, I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a $300 router that may (or may not) provide us with the reliable connection we need.

Not to mention, I've found very little useful information online about the system. Even Amazon's reviews are oddly vague and unhelpful.

I'd really like to know if the system works as well as advertised and how Winegard's data coverage compares to the AT&T / Verizon options.

I'm curious. Does your Bullet have Key-TV installed? And is the Winegard on the roof the Air 360 Plus version? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:52 AM   #11
dalamarjj78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I'm curious. Does your Bullet have Key-TV installed? And is the Winegard on the roof the Air 360 Plus version? Thanks.
Yes, our Bullet came with Key-TV and the Air 360 Plus installed on the roof. We actually just tested the HD antenna while camping in the driveway and I was pleasantly surprised. We pick up more channels in the RV than we do using the HD antenna mounted behind the TV in our house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post

I ran into exactly the same issue. I spent quite a bit of time searching various forums and Google and had problems finding any reviews from people that had actually bought and used the system.

Most of what I found were articles that just regurgitated the same information on the Winegard site. And posts that did start out about the Winegard system quickly changed topic into people using grandfathered data plans, etc. and never actually provided any useful information about this particular system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by behrmr View Post
I bought the Winegard GW-1000 Gateway 4G LTE WiFi Router for my 5W Cougar and set it up. I have 1 trip in with it.

Installation was super easy and just took a couple of wire nuts and 4 screws. There's no pre-made connector for power but there's a 12VDC harness that is right there bundled with the harness for the unit inside the cutout behind their little plate. Remove the plate, pull the harness down, cut your battery power. Then cut the 12vdc harness (green is positive on mine) and then wire nut it all back together. Pull their wiress through the hole in the bracket, connect it together, then secure the bracket so the hole is centered over the hole in the ceiling. Put 4 new screws through the bracket into the ceiling to secure the bracket. Insert your SIM and snap the router into the bracket.

Follow the instructions to configure the router using your mobile device and their free Connected app.

I already have a VZW plan with unlimited shared data so I called them and gave them the IMEI for the router and they shipped me a pre-configured SIM card. You put the SIM card in it and then use the app to switch the internet source to "4G" and it links up to VZW automatically.

I set it all up in my driveway where I get very good VZW signal to test. The router itself works fine and gave me a strong signal even when inside of my house through the garage door/walls/etc. It also allows you to have a "guest" SSID which is nice.

You can switch the internet source to "WiFi" and then scan for a wireless network and link to that. The router will then use that for internet instead of 4G. That also worked well at my house.

When we went camping this past trip we were in a known very fringe VZW area. People with VZW phones were getting no data signal. My Winegard, however, was connecting. It was in and out but more usable than just using cellular data on my phone. I forgot to take the Winegard provided SIM with me this trip or I would have activated it and tried it as I believe the carrier behind it is AT&T.

I also hooked it up to the campground's WiFi but their WiFi was worse than the VZW signal and we were directly under their repeater tower. I don't know how campgrounds WiFi can be so bad... The Winegard unit claims it can work with a captive WiFi at a campground but the place we stayed was just "open".

A big benefit is that you can configure all of your devices to connect to YOUR private router instead of the campground's WiFi. Then you don't have to change it again when you move to the next campground. AND it firewalls you off from the rest of the campground.

This is not a very technical review but more of a working use case from my one experience.

It will require a few more trips to know if it was worth it but I figured with the amount of money we spend on camping, $275 is a drop in the bucket. If it doesn't work out I'll try another solution and just use the existing holes where the Winegard unit is for new antennas.
Thank you VERY much for this review. It's good to hear that the system sounds like it works as intended. I'm a little curious how the Winegard coverage is since I'm not an AT&T or VZW customer (I'm on Spectrum Mobile which uses VZW towers but isn't technically Verizon). Besides, if I try working remotely it would be nice to have two different data sources in case one doesn't work and I need a backup.

I may just pull the trigger on the router and see how it goes. Thanks again! This was super helpful.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #12
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
Yes, our Bullet came with Key-TV and the Air 360 Plus installed on the roof. We actually just tested the HD antenna while camping in the driveway and I was pleasantly surprised. We pick up more channels in the RV than we do using the HD antenna mounted behind the TV in our house.
Thanks for the reply. Our 2020 Passport came with a Furrion "wing" omnidirectional antenna. It's a wobbly thing up there and some have discovered it missing from the roof after getting to the campsite or home. I'd prefer the Winegard design (flat to the roof) over a "T" shapped wing wiggling at 65mph just waiting to get damaged and cause an issue or rip off all together. Inexpensive antenna change. Wonder why Keystone changed to the Winegard from Furrion (Winegard is a superior brand, so maybe that's it).

I'm not one for the wi-fi router option, we just like to catch the local news and weather forecast at night or something entertaining if we're pushed inside due to weather. DW and I watched an old B&W movie the other week.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Another option is that if you work from your camper and NEED good internet connectivity, I have a dual band wifi antenna mounted on my ladder with a USB connection which I plug into a lap top and turn on the hot spot on the lap top. I have another laptop that I use and run a VPN (campground wifi is generally open or everyone has the password and data isn't secure). I have some experience with local campgrounds and choose those with great wifi if I can. If I worked from my camper I would be on the lookout for one with great wifi that doesn't drop off under heavier loading.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #14
dalamarjj78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Our 2020 Passport came with a Furrion "wing" omnidirectional antenna. It's a wobbly thing up there and some have discovered it missing from the roof after getting to the campsite or home. I'd prefer the Winegard design (flat to the roof) over a "T" shapped wing wiggling at 65mph just waiting to get damaged and cause an issue or rip off all together. Inexpensive antenna change. Wonder why Keystone changed to the Winegard from Furrion (Winegard is a superior brand, so maybe that's it).
I definitely prefer the Winegard style over the "T" shaped wing one, too. Our last TT had one of those and, while we never bothered to install a TV so never actually used it, I could easily see myself forgetting to lower it and driving off.

The nice thing about the 360+ is there's no raising or lowering of the antenna and the AC unit extends farther out than the antenna does.

Again, I only tested it while in our driveway but was really impressed. We have a camping trip coming up next week at a nearby state park so I'm curious to see how it performs in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Another option is that if you work from your camper and NEED good internet connectivity, I have a dual band wifi antenna mounted on my ladder with a USB connection which I plug into a lap top and turn on the hot spot on the lap top. I have another laptop that I use and run a VPN (campground wifi is generally open or everyone has the password and data isn't secure). I have some experience with local campgrounds and choose those with great wifi if I can. If I worked from my camper I would be on the lookout for one with great wifi that doesn't drop off under heavier loading.
Our preferred camping destinations are state parks so wifi isn't really an option there.

Theoretically, the Winegard system could act as my router when/if wifi were an option and still offer a backup-up plan for 4G connectivity in case we end up at a location with no wifi and spotty VZW coverage. If it works as advertised, of course.

I appreciate the suggestion, though. I'll definitely keep weighing my options.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:21 PM   #15
Wingman301

Where is the LTE/WiFi Pre-Wired "Panel" Located

I have a 2019 Cougar 361RLW which is supposed to be pre-wired for the Furion LTE/WiFi router via a "panel". We have the Furrion disk-shaped antenna (the one under recall now) on the roof. However I've looked all over ceiling in the 5th wheel and cannot locate the panel onto which you'd mount the Furrion router. Seems like that panel should be located in the bedroom below the location of the antenna. Can someone please confirm location of the pre-wired "panel" in the 2019 Cougar models. Ours in model 361RLW.

Thanks much,

Frank
B+W Companion 25K 5th Wheel Hitch
Wingman301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:38 PM   #16
Wingman301

As a follow-up, the link below indicates that all 2019 Keystone RVs have the pre-wire "plate" to allow installation of the Furrion router. I'm trying to found the location of the pre-wired plate in my fifth wheel.

http://https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-navigation-pages/community/krv-blog/content-container/an-industry-first-4g-lte-and-wi-fi-prep-standard-on-all-keystone-rvs/

Thanks,

Frank
B+W Companion 25K 5th Wheel Hitch
Wingman301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #17
Serenescene

https://youtu.be/YYhfu3qq22g
Serenescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #18
bobbecky

We have had an AT&T Netgear hotspot for years, and are currently on an unlimited plan, and this is as simple as you can get, and besides WIFI, we can stream to the fire sticks and have excellent service most anywhere. It's especially nice when occasionally we are blocked with trees to our Trav'ler on the roof, and can stream shows and movies. Just because they install a difficult to make work option doesn't mean you have to use it.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #19
kheintz

Adding Gateway to Existing VZW Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by behrmr View Post

Did Verizon charge you $10 per month for the router as an additional device?
kheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #20
Camping family

Okay I have a 2020 29 rks 5th wheel. Has the win guard 360+antenna. Inside has a cover on the wall for furrion router. Do I need a furrion router or a winguard router.?
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote