Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2020, 05:00 AM   #1
Wiley

Power Converter

Hello, I,m new to the site my name is Wiley. We have a 2006 25.5ft. Springdale, at the end of the camping season last year we were sitting there one night and the lights began to flicker in the bedroom. This went on for about 20 minutes and then we lost power altogether in the bedroom, lights receptacles and all. Then about 10 mins later we lost power to the rest of the rv except for 2 receptacles and it popped the 30amp breaker and if you tried to reset breaker it would not reset. Called a rv repair shop and he told me to try to reset the breaker with force which I did and it reset but with sparks flying and at that point he told me my power converter was gone. This converter has no part number or any way to identify so I can source another one has anyone had this experience and know where I can buy this?

Thanks for any help
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:21 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!!

If it’s a stand alone converter, you have numerous options. There is a few brands that are better, your main concern is to get one with enough amps to power the 12V stuff and charge the battery. WFCO makes a very nice one, and I would get at least 35 amps. Make sure the replacement is a multi stage charger.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
GHen

Chuck is giving good advice here, you need a multi stage charger, don’t buy a cheap converter, it’s the heart of your RV.
A multi stage charger has different charge rates depending on how low your battery is, it starts at around 14.7 volts, then drops to 14.4, then 13.6 or so. It also may have a battery conditioning cycle for a fully charged battery.

Also, consider what batteries you may be using in the future, flooded, AGM or Lithium. Not all chargers can charge all types of batteries.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
Wiley

Hello, saw numerous ones on the Campingworld site and most look a lot like mine can you suggest one of these? Sorry to be so much trouble.

Thank you
Old 02-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Wiley, also check that battery(s). You could have damaged the battery or a defective battery could have caused the converter to fail. Pull the battery and take it to an auto parts store that sells batteries (all of them that I know of do) and they will most likely load test them for free.

It would be a shame to change out the converter and it burn up because the battery was bad.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome Riley! Just a note about your issue(s);

There are 2 sources of power in the RV, 12vdc and 120vac. They work independently of each other. Lights flickering would be 12vdc. If the outlets don't work that's 120vac - 2 different animals and you need to know which one is malfunctioning. I've had lights flicker, go off and just weird things in general when I had a battery that was dead cannibalizing the 2nd battery until everything was fritzy. Replaced both batteries. Your converter could be fried, if it was faulty it could have fried the batteries....??? Before just replacing the converter because someone who hasn't laid eyes on it said he thought it was bad I would suggest a little testing. I still don't know how you lost the receptacles due to anything from the converter.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
gearhead

If you do need a new converter, call Best Converters.
Progressive brand is a good one.

http://www.bestconverter.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
Wiley

Ok, you guys have given a lot of good info today i'll check it out.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
LHaven

Note that Progressive converters are labeled on one side, which is often not the visible side depending on who installed it. If you use a phone's selfie-cam, you can often locate the plaque on the top or far side.

Tags
converter, power