Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Mike477

Rv storage

Hello All......this is the first winter our trailer will be put away for a few months. My plan is to leave it plugged into 120 to keep the battery up. My question is will it charge the battery if the cut off switch is in the off position. I plugged it in yesterday and with a meter the battery showed 12.4...and this morning it showed 12.6 with the switch in the off position..??..Does the charger work if the cut off switch is in the off position??
Working with a 2016 Cougar 28RLS.
Mike477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I don't know if your "cut off switch" is factory or owner installed. With that said, from the numbers you posted I would say no.If you are going to have it plugged in to shore power then why would you want to disconnected the battery?

When leaving the battery on the charger for long periods then I'd suggest you check the electrolyte levels in the cells evet 4 weeks. If any cell is low then "top off"with distilled water only.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Mike477

Thanks for the quick response. The switch is factory according to the salesman. It is mounted just inside the pass through on the left side. I know the electric tongue jack works when it is in off but I do not know about the charger??
Old 11-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

There are several "parasitic" drains on the battery when the "factory" disconnect is turned to "off". Typically the tongue jack, slides, Co and smoke detectors, and the radio presets remain energized. So if your storing for more than a week without power then remove the cable from the battery or install a battery disconnect that disconnects everything .

If you do a search on this forum with "parasitic drain" or "battery disconnect" you'll have plenty of reading material on the subject.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
Justvisiting2day

Rv storage..

It is a good idea if you can keep it plugged in, that said, just make sure.. double sure, that you check occasionally the water level. A constant plugged in Battery can dry out . Been there..
Good luck
Chuck
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
Mike477

Thank you for the good advice...now lets hope for an early spring !!
Old 11-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a couple of things to consider:
1. If you towed the trailer to the storage lot, disconnected it (using an electric tongue jack) and then you may have "slightly discharged the battery". Reading the voltage then, it may have read 12.4 VDC and after sitting (normalization) for 24 hours, it may have read 12.6 VDC even without any charge being applied.

2. Typically, the "factory installed" battery cutoff switch does disconnect the battery from the charger.

3. If you're going to leave the trailer plugged into shore power, the converter/charger will charge the battery and, unless the converter fails, it will go into "sustain" function to maintain the battery. Even in that condition, I'd suggest a weekly battery fluid check for the first month or so, then, if you feel comfortable, monthly checks after you know the battery is not "using fluid".

It's been my experience that with the BCO turned to off (even with the trailer connected to shore power), the battery will discharge over a time frame of 2-3 weeks. That's because the converter/charger is "disconnected" from the battery, but the parasitic drains (CO monitor, LPG monitor, thermostat, stereo memory/backlight, etc) are still consuming battery power. Essentially, with the BCO turned off, it's the same battery drain as not being connected to shore power (which is essentially the trailer electrical condition)…..

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

If you have the ability to put the RV away for winter and have it plugged into AC I would do it IMO. I keep mine that way every year when not in use. As was mentioned you need to keep a very close eye on the battery water level until you learn how much the converter is charging them. I leave the battery disconnect in the normal operational position. For me and 2 12vdc Interstate batteries I check it approx. every 2 months if I don't go anywhere and give my watering system a squeeze or two and it tops all the cells off.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #9
Roscommon48

not sure of the type of weather but you can leave the batteries disconnected for several months if fully charged.

disconnect the negative.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
not sure of the type of weather but you can leave the batteries disconnected for several months if fully charged.

disconnect the negative.
Meaning literally disconnected, not by the factory disconnect.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:59 AM   #11
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Why not just remove the battery and put it in your garage at home. I do that and put a charger like this on it.
https://smartercharger.com/
They are kind of expensive but they do more than just charge the battery. I have one and love it
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage