Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
Randallf

not enough hot water

good day, i want to see if ay of you rv'es converted you hot water tank to a continuous hot water system? If so what did you purchase and is it worth the price?
Any information i get would be greatly apprechated , thanks
Randallf
2017 sprinter 5th wheel
vancouver washington
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There are a few different brands of “on demand” water heaters. Girard, Truma and I think suburban make them. Having worked on RVs for several years now, I would stay away from the Girard. Trumas seem to be trouble free but you pay for the reliability.

For what it’s worth, the cost of converting would have me just taking “navy” showers or using the CG facilities. Are you using both LP AND electric to heat the water?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There are a few different brands of “on demand” water heaters. Girard, Truma and I think suburban make them. Having worked on RVs for several years now, I would stay away from the Girard. Trumas seem to be trouble free but you pay for the reliability.

For what it’s worth, the cost of converting would have me just taking “navy” showers or using the CG facilities. Are you using both LP AND electric to heat the water?

^^^What he said. Unless you have a 1/2 dozen folks trying to take showers one after the other I wouldn't think about spending the money for an on demand system.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
Randallf

Thank you for all the answers i received.
yes i do use LP and electic for hot water. My wife wanted me to check into this ,now i can say: i did
Randallf
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallf View Post
Thank you for all the answers i received.
yes i do use LP and electic for hot water. My wife wanted me to check into this ,now i can say: i did
Randallf
Using elec & LP at the same time was the question I believe, this will speed the recovery time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

One of the "hot water wasters" is the shower head. Many OEM shower heads offer poor performance and have a flow rate of 2.5-5 GPM. You can purchase a "remarkable shower head" called the "Oxygenics 2.0" that has a "satisfying spray pattern" and a flow rate of 2 GPM. Using the included OFF/ON valve, a leisurely shower is possible with a 6 gallon Suburban water heater if using gas and electric modes at the same time.

You can buy an Oxygenics shower head for about $30 in white, $38 in chrome and $50 in brushed nickel. https://www.amazon.com/ETL-26181-Pla...s%2C163&sr=8-9

Remember, there's no way an RV water system will give you the amount of hot water or the pressure of a home shower, so if your DW is expecting that in your trailer, she'll never be happy. You can't get 30 gallons of hot water at 60 PSI from a 6 gallon water heater in an RV with a 40 PSI regulator to protect the plumbing system from damage......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
(snip)Having worked on RVs for several years now,
Chuckster57, you just Nailed credibility 100% in my book!
Old 10-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #8
Mikendebbie

Hot water

I think my unit has a suburban and it has been incredible. Just incredible.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:15 AM   #9
rhagfo

Randallf, your wife must want to take 20 minute showers with the water running all the time. My wife will run the water a lot, and I can shower as soon as she is out of the bathroom, (dressing time maybe 15 minutes). I always have plenty of hot water, gas will heat faster then electric, using both will recover quickly. This has been the case with both a 6 gal. and 10, gal heater.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:31 AM   #10
German Shepherd Guy

Hello Randallf:
On recommendations from this list one of our first upgrades was to the Oxigenics shower head that John gave the link to. I would give a 4 out of 5 star rating, and we are very pleased. You might want to try that first. I too looked into the on demand systems but that initial out put had a loooooong payback period. Too long for us.
Good luck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

The Oxygenetics shower head gets my vote. We have a 6 gal suburban wh and when showering use gas & electric together. Have never run out of he during a shower and I am on the tall and wide end of the stature spectrum.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:06 AM   #12
Eric363

Randellf, I installed a truma aquago comfort model. It has been awesome! With a family of 4 you can't have enough hot water. The truma units are supposed to be dealer installed only. I found one on Ebay and installed it myself. The bad part is they are pretty expensive; the very few dealers around me wanted $2000 plus installed. I don't think I could ever go back. As far as the girard and suburbans, reviews were mixed, but you mostly hear from the bad.
Eric363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #13
k94x4

We put in a Truma and love it! Well worth the money for us.
North Idaho
k94x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #14
larryflew

There are many sizes of water heaters in RV's. Ours came with a 12 gallon and my wife does do the 20 minute showers and the recovery was good enough for me to shower 20 minutes later. When it crapped out I replaced it with a 10 gallon since they are identical size and recovery but $110 less. If it doesn't work she'll just have to shorten those showers. Just installed so we won't be trying it out until the end of November.

As mentioned she may not like the water volume and/or pressure in which case there is no cure. IF it really is the amount of hot water you need to decide the value of your DW vs a couple grand $$
Old 11-04-2019, 03:19 AM   #15
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
The question I have is, why don't all the new RVs have demand water heaters?
I hope that comment was tongue in cheek.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #16
notanlines

We will have to agree to disagree. I couldn't imagine adding $1000 to $2500 to each and every RV sold simply to add a device that fills the holding tank considerably faster and drains the propane tanks faster so that (insert your own adjective) people can shower endlessly.
I do understand having it as an alternative. We wouldn't be without our dishwasher, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it as standard equipment.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
No, a demand water heater, also known a "tankless" water heater would be more appropriate in an RV the the little 6 and 10 gallon ones that usually are installed.
They take up less space and provide endless hot water.
More appropriate? Based on whose interpretation? For many, the "tankless systems" available today are either unreliable (prone to many failures) or significantly more expensive (4 times more than a Dometic/Atwood tank heater). That makes them "cost prohibitive" for the RV market where every dollar increase in MSRP means fewer sales at the dealer's lot... It's a "numbers game" not a "improve regardless of cost" consideration.

On the surface, it may seem like a good idea, but in application, it hasn't proven to live up to the expectations. The cheap ones leave owners "out in the cold" and the expensive ones cost far too much to absorb the added $1500 over the cost of a 6 gallon Dometic/Atwood water heater into the manufacturing process.

While there were some Keystone models that did have a tankless water heater, (the Montana 3921FB) that was "required to fill the large soaking tub". That model apparently wasn't popular enough to continue as it was discontinued (along with the tankless water heater) in 2019.

If you consider the Keystone "business model" their plan only includes very minimal optional equipment (and that's only on some models). Every option that's offered changes the manufacturing process and introduces a chance for omissions or errors, so the Keystone business model just doesn't offer optional equipment. That keeps the cost down and reduces the chance to "build a trailer with the wrong equipment".... So I wouldn't look for Keystone to offer a tankless water heater even as an optional item on any of their "less expensive than the top line brands"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The question I have is, why don't all the new RVs have demand water heaters?
Also, why aren't all the new A/C units mini split systems? They would not only be more practical, but less expensive to install.
Let me address these separately.

Tankless hot water heater - would be several $k upcharge, use a LOT more propane and water. If you are willing to spend the extra money for it then by all means have one installed.

Split system? Requires a separate air handler and compressor that are connected via refrigeration lines. The install time would be MUCH longer, require a certified HVAC technician and more wires and power. A split system would only work on ac current so it would have to have shore power or a generator to operate. Totally impractical for those reasons much less having long runs of refrigerant lines bagning around taking up space and leaking, and the additional weight and space requirements.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Ok, I can buy that. My trailer cost too much already.

But about the split A/C system though, I've seen modified rigs that use the mini-split systems on the market. Some are 120 VAC models, so they can easily be incorporated into an RV. It gets the unit off the roof and into the coach where it belongs. Also, some of the mini-split systems have multiple evaporators that would be really nice in a larger RV.
It makes a really clean installation, and I'm wondering how long it will take for the RV manufacturers to pick up on it.
Again it's just too cost prohibitive. When your talking about a million dollar coach the buyer is willing to lay out a few grand. The "bus frame" won't be affected by the added weight like a trailer. "off the roof and inside where it belongs?" The compressor on a slip system still must be exposed to the outside and why would you want that taking up precious interior space.

Yes you can have all that if you "wish" and are willing to "pony up" the Hundreds of thousands of dollars for a "custom built RV'. Otherwise it's foolish to state that a mfg "should" do this when the VAST majority of purchasers don't want it and can't afford it.

It's easy to stated the way things "should" or "could" be when you don't understand what it takes to "get there", or the ramifications of "getting there".
Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #20
travelin texans

If it cost 15 cents more, takes an extra 5 minutes to install or requires skilled labor to install you won't find it "coming soon" on any rv, cheap, easy & fast is how they roll off the line.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water