Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
beattym

Landing gear fuses

Hi, I've been installing the Steadyfast stabilizer system on my 310RE and every time I bring back down the landing legs I blow a couple of 30 amp fuses. Anyone have the same problem? I hope I don't have to invest in a fuse factory but it's not looking too good!
beattym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

Landing gear fuses

There has been a lot of this on the newsgroup in the past few months ( including my rig). Sounds to me like the motor draw is very close to the fuse rating. I am picking up my 318SAB after repairs next week. I will measure the current draw and report back.

The cure might be either: use a slightly larger fuse, say 35 amp, or use a circuit breaker which has a much longer reaction time than the fuse AND, you only have to buy it once.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
beattym

Well my dealer made a house call (!!!) and brought someone who knew what he was doing and the only thing he did was tightened a ground screw he says was not grounding as it should because of the paint underneath. Problem solved! I hope that's all there is to it since I'm leaving later today for my first outing with this new rig!

Thank you all!!
3.73 rear.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
walker1

Mike I see you tow your fiver with a f150 with 3.73.
How does it do? looks like a big fiver.
Just curious.
Thanks
Rob
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
beattym

Came back from my first outing with the 5'ver 3 weeks ago, and pulling it with my F-150 was an experience. I did not feel comfortable so I added a set of Ride Rite airbags and this week-end's outing things were a lot better. The next thing I'm changing are the tires for Michelin LT's. but I think I definitely got a bigger 5'ver than my truck can handle so I'll keep my trips local until I get a SuperDuty with a diesel in the next couple of years. I guess I'm learning the hard way....
3.73 rear.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
walker1

I just looked at the specs on your fiver. It is a big one. A lot depends on how far you go.

I have a max tow 2010 lariat with 3.73, 7756 gvwr and LT option. I added a supersring on the rear leaf pack. Tows real nice.....................mind you, my fiver is a cougar 27sab xlite only weighing 7000 pounds with 1100 on pin.

Towed this weekend with 60 kph winds and handled real nice. Fuel ecconomy was bad with pounding side wind.
cheers

Good idea to swap tires.

Rob
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Ayotte

I just got a 2012 cougar 26sab and I believe the fuse for the landing gear has been replaced with a breaker. There is one in a line in the front conpartment that runs to the landing gear switch, or is there another fuse some other place?
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
caberto

If you retract or extend your front legs all the way, it will likely blow the fuse. I found this out at my dealer (they extended the legs too far), and then I did it once while camping - the remote still worked to move the legs, just not the manual switch at the front of the unit due to the fuse blowing. Now I make sure to always stop short of the max either way (place a mark on the legs so you know when to stop), and have never had another 30 amp fuse blow.
caberto is offline   Reply With Quote