Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
gilrick

New Guy with a thousand questions...

Hello, Everyone!
Just got a used 2001 Keystone Cougar 279 EFS (?) Two slideouts with expected problems.
Only, I'm not sure just how to fix some of them. I'm learning a lot from some excellent tutorials I'm finding on the internet and I'm hoping that this forum will enable me to post some questions (maybe not *really* a thousand, but close!)
So, with your permission and forbearance.....

RV has been sitting for at least a year with no occupancy and probably no winterizing.

Beginning problems:

Slide outs don't.
Have to be done manually.
I did find some chewed up wiring in the propane tank storage area.
Yellow and white striped. Got no idea about anything electrical but that doesn't seem like a good thing.

Hot water heater:
Seller replied "Anodes?" when I asked about the hot water heater servicing.
and winterizing. (Suburban Sw6 DE)
So, I'll pull that tomorrow. Didn't sound promising as he advised past problems with not enough hot water when showering.
Still. I was informed of it prior to the sell.
And from my readings, a 12 year old water heater might need replacing anyway.

Two missing pipe vents had been "plugged" with plastic coke bottles.
No sealing of any sort so I've found moisture in the Bathroom Skylight over the tub. Seems to be coming from the pipe vent opening to the right of the Skylight.

Removed the interior skylight panel . Wood seems to be drying out nicely, but there is moisture in one of the sections insulation so I either need to remove it or get some heat going to dry out the insulation....

Replaced the Marine battery with a fully charged one but no indicator lights or 12v lights are working. Maybe the chewed wiring?

Haven't hooked up to an external power source yet.

Oh, and concerning the slide outs, once manually opened, the living room one isn't quite flush to the wall on the right side looking out from the interior... about a quarter to a half inch gap. But only at the top. Bottom seems fine. So which bolt do I tighten to make it flush?

As you can see, I'm not very knowledgeable in these matters. But maybe my ignorance and your kind guidance will help someone else who wanders into this forum as I have done.

Thank you for your patience in reading this rather rambling introduction
and I'll post specific questions addressing each issue in hopes of finding solutions.

Ok, that's just what I've found so far
gilrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
theeyres

Wow! that is one long list of problems. I think you are right: you are going to need to post them one by one. That's just way to much to respond to. It sounds like you have a real fixer upper that will involve a real learning curve. For a starter, you better start replacing all the chewed wiring. Nothing is going to work without doing that! Then you will have to educate yourself on all things electrical including how the converter/charger works, 12v systems, and 120 v system. Sounds like most of the stuff you have listed will be traced back to electrical problems.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
outwest

water heater might not need replacing. Had a 1984 Avion with original water heater and it only just gave out 3 yrs ago. (tank started leaking). If it's a 6 gallon heater and only being heated with electric, that can easily run out of hot water before shower is done unless you are extremely conservative with your water useage.

no indicator lights for charged battery - might be the wiring, might be control panel is shot, or might simply be that the battery cutoff switch is in the off position. From the sounds of it, most likely the wiring. Just sayin'...

wiring is going to be a pain, and I feel for ya. Also, don't depend on black wire meaning "ground" or negative. On that Avion there was some 12V wiring where black was ground and some where black was positive (came that way from factory). And, of course, it also had lots of color variants in the 12V wiring.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

gilrick, First let me welcome you to the forum.

The black and white wire in the propane compartment is most likely for side marker light.

Moving the slides manually with the battery connected can cause the motor to burn out. Try to get the owners manual from Lippert ind. on line. Your problem may just be fuses. Until you get them working correctly don't make any adjustments to slides, they may just be sticking a little from lack of use.

The manuals for all your appliances are available on-line from their respective manufacturers.

As mentioned ... water heater on electric only will not last long for showers ... try using both elect. and gas at the same time.

Do a complete inspection of the rubber roof and all caulking around vents, skylights, antennas and all edges. Recaulk where necessary with Dicor self leveling sealant only.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions just post them (one at a time) on the appropriate forum. You will be enjoying your trailer in no time at all, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
gilrick

[QUOTE=theeyres;102752]Wow! that is one long list of problems.

Long? I'm just getting started!!
Thank you for your reply.

It's not really *that* bad.
A little cleaning, some interior cosmetics, and as you said, an electrical learning curve....
What can go wrong?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
gilrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwest View Post
water heater might not need replacing. Had a 1984 Avion with original water heater and it only just gave out 3 yrs ago. (tank started leaking). If it's a 6 gallon heater and only being heated with electric, that can easily run out of hot water before shower is done unless you are extremely conservative with your water useage.

no indicator lights for charged battery - might be the wiring, might be control panel is shot, or might simply be that the battery cutoff switch is in the off position. From the sounds of it, most likely the wiring. Just sayin'...

wiring is going to be a pain, and I feel for ya. Also, don't depend on black wire meaning "ground" or negative. On that Avion there was some 12V wiring where black was ground and some where black was positive (came that way from factory). And, of course, it also had lots of color variants in the 12V wiring.
Yes, it's a 6 gallon water heater. Looks like I lucked out in that someone did drain the hot water heater. Haven't opened it up yet but I got a replacement anode today.
Also got one of those wands and some vinegar to flush out the tank.
Youtube thingie I watched on Suburban Water heaters...
I've got a friend who is a certified electrician visiting in about two weeks.
I'll get him to help me with the wiring.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
gilrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
gilrick, First let me welcome you to the forum.

The black and white wire in the propane compartment is most likely for side marker light.

Moving the slides manually with the battery connected can cause the motor to burn out. Try to get the owners manual from Lippert ind. on line. Your problem may just be fuses. Until you get them working correctly don't make any adjustments to slides, they may just be sticking a little from lack of use.

The manuals for all your appliances are available on-line from their respective manufacturers.

As mentioned ... water heater on electric only will not last long for showers ... try using both elect. and gas at the same time.

Do a complete inspection of the rubber roof and all caulking around vents, skylights, antennas and all edges. Recaulk where necessary with Dicor self leveling sealant only.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions just post them (one at a time) on the appropriate forum. You will be enjoying your trailer in no time at all, Hank
Thank you, Hank.
Yes, I traced the wiring back to an exterior light on the Right side under the goose neck and it's chewed along the length of that. The left side received the most damage, chewed completley through and stipped bare. As far as I can determine the left side just looped back on itself into the wall again without connecting to anything. That is where the worst damage was done.Wires completely chewed through and frazzled.
Might have been something there that isn't now.

Did the roof inspection Got some Dicor. And a roll of that ..uh...caulking/sealing stuff you put under the vents.

And I found a link to the Lippert site and downloaded the manuel last night.

One at a time.
Yes. I've already received a note from a moderator who was very polite.
Apparently, I'm a bit verbose.

My apologies if I have inadvertendly broken any rules or offended anyone.